[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For what reason do normalfags hate on Internet Explorer? I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

File: comfy.jpg (461KB, 897x768px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
461KB, 897x768px
For what reason do normalfags hate on Internet Explorer?

I know that many of you will probably say that it is proprietary, or that there are better browsers out there that respect your freedom, and such and such, but these things don't matter to the average normalfag.

What, then, do they hate so much about it? Is it nothing more than "uh well my friend told me IE is lame, so I guess it is lol"?

t. IE user of 13 years and counting
>>
>>57135538
>Is it nothing more than "uh well my friend told me IE is lame, so I guess it is lol"?
Exactly, normies changed IE for FF years ago cause their friends used to tell them tha it was better, when chrome came out they changed to that cause it seemed faster.
Now that IE is actually faster than chrome normies won't readopt it cause of the past bad fame and cause Microcuck can't into marketing for shit unlike Jewgle.
t. Firecocks user
>>
>>57135538
I hate it because it doesn't follow W3C and does whatever the fuck it wants.
>>
>open IE
>"Hey, MS here, why not enable all of our spyware bullshit"
>No thanks
>"You sure?"
>Yes!!
>Google.con
>"Sorry IE has crashed"
>What, why?
>*Shrugs*
>Well can you at least pick up where I left off?
>"lol, what? No"
>>
>>57135538
normies are normies anon.

To be honest if you have to use Windows (for whatever reason) Edge is better than Chrome, it integrates better with the OS and consumes less battery in laptops.

Also while both Chrome and Edge are close sourced and it is true that Chrome shares most of it's codebase with Chromium, the Chakra engine that powers Edge is also open sourced.

In terms of "freedom" they are closer than people might imagine.
>>
>>57135538
it's less of a browser and more of a malware delivery system

and has been for the past 25 or so years
>>
>>57135736
>Edge is better than Chrome
Even so, it's only available on Windows 10 (i.e. Windows 8.2 NSA Edition).
>>
>>57135538
theres no ie anymore.
>>
>>57135736
i do not mined edge at all but i prefer ie 11 over it -- what is actually pretty sad that on windows, ie can be the most secure browser if the security configurations are set right. let's assume there is no backdoor
>>
File: 1450788019533.gif (62KB, 362x332px) Image search: [Google]
1450788019533.gif
62KB, 362x332px
>>57135538
>t. IE user of 13 years and counting
I know it's bait but it's still some really scary bait.
>>
>>57135538
Internet Explorer is crash-prone, insecure, and behind the times. Old versions proved to have major compatibility issues with standard websites. Many businesses designed in-house intranet apps around IE6 and have to stick with them to this day because they rely on that archaic software they wrote years ago. It wasn't until IE9 that compatibility was on par with other websites, but it's still crash prone and ugly.
>>
File: webdev.jpg (93KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
webdev.jpg
93KB, 400x300px
>>57135609
>m-muh 100% adherence to web standards

When you're Microsoft, and you find that your browser holds as much as >90% market share, you make your own standards.

Of course, IE no longer holds that much market share, but back when it did, >muh W3C standards didn't matter.
>>
>>57135866
Windows 10 still includes IE11 for backward compatibility purposes.
>>57136005
Even in the mid-00s as IE market share started to drop, they still continued to adhere to their own standards instead of everyone else's. It wasn't until IE9 in like 2011 that they finally got semi-W3C complaint.
>>
Normiecore : Chrome
Dad/mom core: Firefox
/g/core: Iceweasel, Nightly
Contrariancore: IE
Edgycore: Edge
>>
File: browser.png (184KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
browser.png
184KB, 1920x1200px
>>57136026
A quick glance at Wikipedia's page on web browser usability has IE market share at around 70-80% mid-00s, and around 40-50% in 2011, so IE market share would have still been dominant, or at least significant, even up until IE9.

>>57135929
Not bait my friend, just a Winfag who's stuck in his ways.
>>
I'm a Linux guy, but in my experience, it's mostly FB/9gag memes.
I use firefox on Windows but IE has been just fine for me, top notch performance
>>
>>57136124
>no aero
>useless toolbar cluttering top of screen
>small taskbar
>no combining tabs
Holy fuck look at everything that's wrong. Thumbs up for using the right measurement of time instead of the shitty American way.
>>
>>57136146
>I-It's not what I'm used to
>>
>>57135538
>a program whose sole purpose is rendering websites
>cant fucking properly render fucking websites
>for 20 fucking years until the semi-fixed it

>also, seems to actively find and installs all viruses while at the same time blocking legitimate js scripts that just want to animate something

also, how's your 1995 font rendering in 2016?
>>
File: ninja.webm (187KB, 610x340px) Image search: [Google]
ninja.webm
187KB, 610x340px
>>57136005
>When you're Microsoft, and you find that your browser holds as much as >90% market share, you make your own standards.
And then you lose marketshare because of that. Brilliant.
>>
>>57136146
>no aero
I thought /g/ would be approving of no aero, since many would just consider it unnecessary flashiness.
>useless toolbar cluttering top of screen
Eh, compared to IE6, which I used up until 2009, this is quite sparse.
>small taskbar
More vertical space. Also, I'm too used to it from my XP days.
>no combining tabs
Again, too used to it from XP.

>>57136177
IE11 is pretty good. In the 6 or 7 years I've used Windows 7, I've only gotten malware once, and that was probably from Flash.
>>
>>57135538
Those old IE versions were shit. But the IE11 is actually decent. I sometimes use it, depending for the task.

IE11 is one of the fastest browsers if not the fastest, but it has sometimes display and compability errors. Firefox is more accurate with some scripts, but takes longer too load.

I don't care much anymore, as my 2 Mbit connection is slower than the Firefox lag.
>>
>>57136253
>2 mbit
That better be your upload speed.
>>
>>57136233
The W7 theme without Aero just looks so...ugly. I like being able to personalise it and choose the colour I want...fuck you, XP, and your blue, green, and silver being the only options.
>>
I don't know, I gave my dad to choose between IE, FF and Chrome and he instantly decided that Chrome is the best. I don't know many normalfags that "hate" IE, but Chrome leaves the best first impression by far
>>
>>57136233
>IE11 is pretty good.
IE11, yes.
IE10, yeah ok
IE9, somewhat but not really
IE8, fuck
IE<=7 LOL FUCK NO

IE was bad for well over a decade so no wonder people stopped using it. It's too late now, unless google fucks up massively.
>>
>>57136233
the one dumb nigger who replied to you is not /g/.

Not using aero is dumb because you've gone from putting your GUI on the GPU, where it belongs, to the much less efficient GDI-based platform which is completely CPU bound.

I also don't know why on earth you'd get yelled at for having a small taskbar - vertical screen space is more valuable than horizontal given the average monitor and UI layout.
>>
>>57136233
The one thing you're missing is adblock. Just because you've avoided contracting internet aids for 7 years means nothing towards the future.

If you're bent on using XP, get an intercepting proxy like Proxomitron and yank those ads out. They are a huge vector for malware, not to mention they erode your privacy and contribute to jews.
>>
>>57136298
>IE was bad for well over a decade so no wonder people stopped using it.

So you're saying it's only a bad reputation that's holding IE11 back? That's a damn shame. For people who use Windows, IE11 is quite fast and stable and acceptable as a browser.
>>
Current IE? It's just meme to hate on it. It's a perfectly good browser for your typical user.

When I first got a computer, in 2002 I didn't like it purely because I thought it looked ugly, compared to MSN Explorer, lol. I didn't even want my parents to leave MSN to another shitty dial-up ISP because I feared having to use such an ugly browser.

My dislike for IE was nothing more than aesthetic reasons. I tried out Netscape for a bit, moved onto Firefox, and after 3 or 4yrs of really knowing how to keep XP for getting bent over by malware, viruses, etc...I understood the functional and security benefits of not using IE.
>>
>>57136333
Wait, AdBlock is available for IE?
>>57136344
Yup. The damage has been done. IE6 was the first version that started to show signs of weakness, and by IE9's time, most people were using Chrome or Firefox. But IE is still missing some things, such as bookmark/history/password sync, a minimalistic UI, and probably some other things that I don't know because I don't use IE.
>>
>>57135538
>these things don't matter to the average normalfag

Why do you believe this isn't a problem, OP? Do you think it's okay that normies disregard freedom completely and fuck everything over for the rest of us?
>>
>>57136371
Sure isn't. Which is why you'd have to get a proxy to yank 'em out.

proxomitron.info
>>
I'm used to firefoxs 3.6 style interface.
>>
File: Untitled.png (460KB, 2073x1361px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
460KB, 2073x1361px
>>57135538
>>
>>57136333
>>57136371
plebs
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
>>
File: cosby_disdain.jpg (20KB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
cosby_disdain.jpg
20KB, 400x269px
>>57136428
>private browsing
>black death theme
>new captcha
>>
File: Untitled.png (164KB, 2560x1410px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
164KB, 2560x1410px
>>57136444
My actual browser :^) fite me
>>
File: 火.jpg (30KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
火.jpg
30KB, 500x384px
>>57136473
>not using jewgle's wonderfully fast botnet
>not using a captcha you can type in
>not using a theme that doesn't make you want to slit your wrists
>>
>>57136386
I said that they don't care as much about it as us, and hence it shouldn't factor into this current thread, not that it's acceptable.
>>
>>57136344
It's mostly bad reputation. But also, people got used to their new browsers and there's really no reason to switch back.
>>
>>57136559
I imagine that IE uses less RAM than other modern browsers. M$ seem to have been good at that, or maybe it was because the older versions lacked W3C and all that normal shit.
>>
>>57135819
If you are in Windows 10, Edge is more power efficient, chakra is also a little bit faster than the v8 engine chrome uses, it also uses [spoiler]less ram
>>
>>57136574
from my experience, it starts faster, but after a while works a bit slower than chrome. I don't care how much RAM it uses, I have enough anyway.
>>
>>57136608
>not closing the spoiler tag
thanks. you fucked the rest of the thread
>>
>>57136635
Spoiler tags work without a close bracket on boards that support them. They don't work on /g/. [spoiler]See what I mean?[/spoiler]
>>
>>57135538
>"uh well my friend told me IE is lame, so I guess it is lol"?

IE was one of the most technically impressive browsers during the late 90s and early 2000s.

Hating IE is a remnant of when microsoft had a monopoly on webbrowsers and implemented non-standard html and javascript and was generally just trash
>>
>>57136707
>technically impressive
How so?
>>
>>57135538
Well for one thing IE has been deprecated by Edge so fuck off retard.
>>
>>57135538
>For what reason do normalfags hate on Internet Explorer?

Because they think it's still the crap it was in 2005 when it wasn't updated for five years.
>>
>>57135609
>I hate it because it doesn't follow W3C and does whatever the fuck it wants.

So does Chrome, actually - it comes up with its own standards and sends it for the W3C just like IE does. And once 6 years later those -webkit- prefixed tags make it into final specifications, Chrome/Safari will keep using its own format, or changes to the new standard but with a buggy implementation.

I haven't needed any IE hacks for the past five years other than an occasional -ms-transform, but I still have to use Webkit hacks up to this day.

t. front end developer
>>
>>57136005
>you find that your browser holds as much as >90% market share, you make your own standards.

this is *exactly* what webkit has been doing ever since Android became a thing.

Except that with IE, you have every version with clearly defined capabilities regarding what it does and does not support. But with Webkit, you have an unlimited number of forks (every single "smart" device from phones to TVs have completely different versions of Webkit, sometimes with proprietary additions like recently what Samsung Internet did).

The result is that you have 90 js polyfills on a site so it works on all browsers fine.

Webkit and Android are more dangerous to the net than IE ever was.
>>
>>57136363
I used to use Netscape back in 2000 until I realized that it takes 10 seconds to load while IE loaded in 1 second.

That, and when they slipped in an update that broke the fucking a href tag.
>>
>>57135736

No ublock origin on edge, no use
>>
>>57136865
>Except that with IE, you have every version with clearly defined capabilities regarding what it does and does not support.
And, mostly, it supported whatever proprietary junk Front Page generated, and only that.
The number of in-house web sites I found that would literally block anything but IE.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.