[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You're given a brand new Linux based OS unlike anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

You're given a brand new Linux based OS unlike anything you've ever seen or used, it's certain to be a massive hit. You legally have to keep it open source (GPL).

How do you make money off of this?
>>
>How do you make money off of this?+ 0 post omitted.

You don't, Linux users are cheap.
>>
Turn it into an enterprise solution and have desktop/workstation deriviatives. Sell support for the enterprise solution.
>>
>>57132896
Halt and Catch Fire is surprisingly good if you can get over the technobabble
Glad it got renewed for a final season
>>
If it's certain to be a hit, then I offer it for businesses and charge for support.
Also, I would attempt to turn it into the biggest distro that's the go-to OS when people want Linux. Possibly even get partnerships with hardware manufacturers to offer said OS as the preinstalled one of laptops and prebuilt workstations.

Creating this kind of standard distro which could reduce fragmentation and bring all software to one OS would be the best way of actually bringing about the year of the Linux desktop.
>>
File: 1476390829288.jpg (15KB, 319x331px) Image search: [Google]
1476390829288.jpg
15KB, 319x331px
>>57132928
/thread
>>
>>57132896
Like RedHat does.
>>
>>57133161
So, Ubuntu
>>
>>57132896
Market it on backdoor hardware and sell users' information to international corporations, banks, and governments.
>>
>>57133200
except that Ubuntu does stupid contrarian shit like Mir, Unity, Snaps, etc. and generally always tries to oppose the direction every other Linux distro goes in.
>>
>>57132896
>big hit
>popular
Don't fix or add anything until people start donating more like a filthy jew.
>>
>>57132896
>you're given a brand new Linux based OS
>unlike anything you've ever seen or used
>it's certain to be a massive hit

Sounds a lot like my first time installing Void Linux.
To answer your question: Since you have to keep it open source, you can only charge for support I guess.
>>
>>57133100
I really enjoyed the emphasis on reverse-engineering in the first couple of episodes. The history behind the IBM PC and its clones are pretty neat.

Just finished S1, guess I'll keep watching.
>>
>>57134184
>tfw Void will never be a massive hit
>>
>>57134217
Yeah! Those throwbacks to legacy technology are fun.
The show keeps getting better and better. I don't know who at AMC decided to keep it going despite noone actually watching it but I'm glad they did it.
>>
>>57132928
You can probably include support in the consumer version, that way you can charge for it too (the support)
>>
>>57132896
If it's certain to be a massive hit, just sell it for whatever price you want. GPL doesn't prohibit that.
>>
>>57132896
SaaS
PaaS
>>
make people pay to use it
>>
>>57132896
Consulting
>>
>>57132896
sell support contracts and offer custom development.

just because you have to open the source doesn't mean you have to code it for free in the first place
>>
File: 1457695529955-0.jpg (54KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457695529955-0.jpg
54KB, 640x480px
>>57132896
>>
>>57134330
While you are most likely correct, it definitely was my impression at that time. Still wish it would get more recognition.
>>
market it to governments outside the US sphere of influence as a secure OS and hire people with infosec qualifications to do implementation and support

basically charge to implement and support it, offer complete solutions including hardware or software-only. Price point would be $50,000-$80,000 for a small organization like a local police force (not including travel and per diem) up to several tens of millions for government offices

when you think about the difficulty of implementing something enterprise-wide and the relative inability of firms without a technology focus to achieve it, licensing fees are a negligible part of the cost of a new system. We would specialize and quickly gain experience in doing this for them, making it overall a superior solution to "buy windows and have the IT guy install it" when security is important

I think we'd quickly attract interest inside the western sphere too, I have heard that government offices and military contractors are wary of windows 10 due to the telemetry and implicit insecurity
>>
make installing and maintenance an absolute fucking nightmare then start a company that offers courses that will teach it all for a nominal price and offer paid support.
>>
>>57132928
Yep. Purposely break some things on Arival and sell support.

Or just say it's not Linux. No one is going to come to your house and demand you release the source code
>>
File: 1476675997133.png (9KB, 322x301px) Image search: [Google]
1476675997133.png
9KB, 322x301px
>>57133887
this
>>
>>57132896
Support.
See: Redhat
>>
>>57135028
Ha ha ha. FSF lawyers would shred you like pirhanas in a feeding frenzy.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.