[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you really care about software freedom, but the games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (2MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1366x768px
>tfw you really care about software freedom, but the games are too good to give up
>>
>games are too good

What fucking games? Console gaming has been shit for about 15 years, and PC gaming died with Steam.
>>
It's a wrong picture. GNU is a shit. For example Android uses Linux kernel but doesn't use GNU rig on top of it.
>>
Just dual boot.
Or if youre autistic enough use GPU passthrough. (but kikenuvo shit wont work in a VM)
>>
>>57115343
>>57115377
Cross-platform indie games are where it's at

My linux gaming library is growing and growing. Also, WINE works.
>>
>tfw you realise there are literally thousands of great games, cult classics and such, that you havent played
>all of those you can run on linux either on wine or on emulator
>performance of modern hardware is enough to make overhead irrelevant
>still you choose to play shitty pop indie games
>still you choose to play generic AAA game 2017 edition
>still you choose to play cash grab mmorpgs
>still you choose windows

There is no hope for you anon, you best forget about software freedom and live happily in bliss.
>>
>>57115377
>I don't like the hundreds of current video games released every year
I'm not gonna list all the dozens of games that I would be unable to enjoy if I used 100% free software.

>>57115414
>GNU is a shit. For example Android uses Linux kernel but doesn't use GNU rig on top of it.
GNU is the OS, and it's primary concern is freedom. Android is a proprietary operating system which uses the Linux kernel (the kernel itself comes with proprietary blobs).

>>57115423
>Just dual boot.
I do dual-boot, but running any proprietary software on my system is a compromise and ideally I want to avoid Windows completely.
>GPU passthrough
My hardware can't do this, and even if it could, it looks like a big pain. Once I get a new rig, I'll probably go this route.

>>57115426
>Cross-platform indie games are where it's at
>My linux gaming library is growing and growing. Also, WINE works.
Agreed, but with Windows having >90% of desktop marketshare, I don't think the number of games for GNU/Linux is ever going to catch up.
>>
>>57115423
>but kikenuvo shit wont work in a VM
Not a single game that uses Denuvo is worth playing.

Heck, not a single game that uses DRM is worth playing.
>>
>>57115575
>Agreed, but with Windows having >90% of desktop marketshare, I don't think the number of games for GNU/Linux is ever going to catch up.
There are extremely few recent games that I think Linux was lacking; and WINE works for all of them.

For example, I would love a DRM-free Linux release of Ori and the Blind Forest.
>>
>>57115471
Seriously, this. Install DOSBox and you'll never run out of great games to play. Add in some older consoles and you'll be set for life.
>>
>>57115632
>tfw you can emulate the gamecube and wii perfectly on PC
Anybody know if you can emulate the wii u yet?
>>
>>57115471
>tfw you realise there are literally thousands of great games, cult classics and such, that you havent played
>all of those you can run on linux either on wine or on emulator
I have tons of emulators and games for them. I know that classic games exist, because they were all I could play on my potato laptop growing up.

>still you choose to play shitty pop indie games
If you don't like a game because it's popular and made by an independent dev, then that's a shitty reason to not play it, IMO.

>still you choose to play generic AAA game 2017 edition
If you don't like a game because it's popular and made by a big studio, then that's a shitty reason to not play it, IMO.

>still you choose to play cash grab mmorpgs
??? I don't play any mmorpgs and there are none on my desktop in the OP image.

>still you choose windows
It's more that I tolerate Windows in order to play video games. I choose Windows solely for game-availability.
>>
>>57115343
You'll grow out of it
>>
>>57115662
>If you don't like a game because it's popular/indie/aaa
I never said that. I said game is shitty, not that its shitty because of its popularity or it being made by a big or small studio
>>
>>57115673
what a dull person you are.
>>
>>57115343
>Dark Souls
Gold rating on WINE appdb: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=14458

>Minecraft
>Lemmini
Runs natively on Linux (it's fucking Java)

>The Talos Principle
Runs natively on Linux, even with vulkan support and better performance than Windows

>Skyrim
Platinum rating on WINE appdb: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=13667

>TotallyAcc...
No idea what that is

>Undertale
>Guacamelee!
Runs natively on Linux

What a fantastic picture for showing how necessary Windows is for gaming, OP..
>>
>>57115714
Games aren't the only way for recreation
>>
>>57115343
>muh gaymen
>>>/v/
>>
>>57115673
As much as this may sound like a meme, it's the true. I don't derive the same enjoyment from video games that I used to as a teen or even in my 20s.
>>
>>57115724
>muh linux
>>>/fa/
>>
>>57115647
Kind of. It's in the works and is making progress. Forgot what it's called though. Check /r/emulation they all jerk each other off over it
>>
>>57115720
Good point. I do pirate all my games, so another aspect is that it's much harder to find torrents for GNU/Linux games.

Life is hard being NEET with basically infinite free time and weed.
>>
>>57115777
>Check /r/emulation they all jerk each other off over it
I'd rather not, to be honest
>>
File: linux.png (45KB, 1072x1453px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
45KB, 1072x1453px
>>57115798
>so another aspect is that it's much harder to find torrents for GNU/Linux games.
No it isn't
>>
>>57115798
>>57115844
Heck, there's even a perpetual general on >>>/t/707928 for linux games.

Also, most of these games cost like $2 or something on gog, even less via the humble bundle. If you can't afford them, then you're SERIOUSLY underage.
>>
>>57115725

It's kind of hard to enjoy a video game when, as an adult, you've actually got important shit to worry about.
>>
>>57115720
>>57115844
>>57115870
wincucked OP literally BTFO
>>
>>57115874
like fixing your distro?
>>
>>57115756
>MUH TOY OS
>>>/v/
>>
>>57115901
>toy
>used by most people

I guess people like fun.
>>
>>57115918
Correction:
Most computer users are tech inept. And all computer illiterates use windows
>>
>>57115844
What search site or application is that? It looks awesome. I've been using Qbittorrent search, which is clearly shit by comparison.

> If you can't afford them, then you're SERIOUSLY underage.
Nah, just SERIOUSLY NEET. I could go apply for various minimum wage jobs and inevitably get one, or I could kill myself physically by working on roofs with a family member for $15/hr. But those options are more difficult than sitting at home on the internet all day.

>>57115888
Well that is exactly why I made the thread, because I feel wincucked and I don't like it.
>>
>>57115995
>What search site or application is that? It looks awesome.
It's gazellegames' built in search, part of the gazelle software (the same thing used on what.cd and pretty much any other good private tracker)

>2016
>still using public trackers when it takes literally minutes to sign up for a private tracker
>>
>>57115343
supertuxkart is all you need.
>>
>>57116010
I've heard of private trackers vs public trackers, but I haven't tried getting into it at all. I didn't know it was as simple as signing up.
Do you want to be my referrer to gazellegames? You can email me your username or whatever they want if you don't wanna post it on 4chan. My email is [email protected]. If not, I'll just go with no referrer.
>>
>>57115844
thanks for eye cancer
>>
>>57116159
Nah, I'm fine. But thanks.
>>
>>57115575
You dont need to list what youd be missing because if you had any sense you would just pirate windows and your entire software library and gawrsh it's free now.
Pretty cool huh?
>>
>>57116010
>#1 games tracker
>it's easy to find linux game torrents
kys
>>
>>57115575
>Linux will never catch up
With the massive improvements of smartphones and the increased people's interest in Linux it's doubtful developers will not port their games on multiple platforms, including Linux itself.
>>
>>57116592
?
>>
Well, depends on what you want to play. There's tons of games that run natively on linux and most older ones that don't have linux version are runnable through wine, if you browse through GOG you can find tons of great older games. So you really mostly miss out on the AAA stuff. I haven't played a new AAA game in years and don't miss it, saved money and don't need to upgrade hw often so more money saved. I still dualboot because I play league of legends with friends though.

Open source/free software games are lacking imho. There are quite a few but they fall behind with their visuals because they lack good dedicated artists and designers. Imho if you managed to make open source projects more appealing for artists to contribute to them, the open source game scene would improve a hundred fold.
>>
>>57117075
>I still dualboot because I play league of legends with friends though.
League of legends runs flawlessly in WINE, as does Heroes of the Storm.

(I know because I recently played both with friends for old time's sake. Quickly stopped again, the games are simply not worth it)
>>
File: ahjwbkhbjawd.png (862KB, 1000x610px) Image search: [Google]
ahjwbkhbjawd.png
862KB, 1000x610px
>>57116589
Free as in freedom, you silly. Windows does not have the 4 freedoms required to be free software (https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html), and therefor is restricting and controlling its users rather than the other way around.

>>57116695
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>57116090
OpenTTD is all i need.
>>
So what are your open source game recommendations /g/?

I go first:
Xonotic (too bad it's dead, you have to put together a group to play usually)
OpenTTD
Tales of MajEyal
>>
>>57117331
Xonotic is fucking great
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.