[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are voice controlled intelligent personal assistants (Alexa,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: SHODAN.jpg (46KB, 385x414px) Image search: [Google]
SHODAN.jpg
46KB, 385x414px
Are voice controlled intelligent personal assistants (Alexa, Google Assistant, ...) the future?
Even SoundHound got into the game:
https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/17/soundhound-s-voice-assistant-lives-inside-its-own-speaker/

Who will be the first to put assistant into a humanoid robot body instead of a tube/vase/D20?

Why is open source community not jumping on that train as well?
Open source assistant would be the most hackable / flexible one. It would have the most potential to become the software that runs our robot butlers and waifus.
>>
I live in a major city and not once have I seen anyone using their voice assistant on a phone. When is this meme going to end?
>>
>>57114692
it just fucking sucks. the best implementation we have right now is to capture the sound byte, ship it to a data center for crunching (wasting bandwidth and compromising privacy) and comparing the interpreted result to a bank of pre-defined queries. cleverbot tier shit.

so, to answer your question, no. not until we have a solid engine for interpreting spoken language. and not just English, mind you.
>>
>>57114770
in public it makes sense not to use them.
But when you are alone or with small group of people, using voice to make machine preform some task becomes much more viable option.
>>
>>57114836
I completely agree

>not until we have a solid engine for interpreting spoken language

Are there any FOSS STT engines out there? Any of them even remotely good?
Only project in that area that I can think of is https://openstt.org/ , but shit is still in planning stages and does not seem to be moving anywhere.
>>
>>57114692
>Why is open source community not jumping on that train as well?
Because it's mindless consumer garbage tech that nobody in the open source community sees a need for.

Here's a general rule of thumb: If there's no open source alternative for something, then it's not something that developers need or want. Open source code is never written for the sake of the user, always the sake of the developer.
>>
K, see you guys in Google's coal mines when Google uses it's home-assistant robots to force us into slavery.
>>
>>57114692
Because it's not a big deal to program one. Every student that learned a little about AI can make one.
The problem is that you need to train it well and this needs resources open source community simply doesn't have.

>Open source assistant would be the most hackable / flexible one. It would have the most potential to become the software that runs our robot butlers and waifus.
No they don't. Voice assistant are simple voice interfaces that runs programs when they match sentences. Robo butlers and waifus require AGI, it's has nothing in common with voice assistant except high level.

>>57114770
My roommate always use voice control while driving.
>>
>>57114692
right now, there's a wild-west el-dorado of AI-corp's being bought and swallowed left and right of the tracks, because Google started it with DeepThough and how it won against the world's best GO player.
If you know a bit about the GO game, you'll know that it's easy to learn but very difficult to master.
And Google's AI won 3:5 or 4:5 against the best human player.
AI's are already on the loose and heavily in use, although on the back-end of things. most notably, googles image search and keywords search, USUALLY it picks up pretty good what you're looking for.

I am one of those who uses the Google Now assistant a lot. but I also have small Bluetooth button in my ear, so only I hear what it says. it even reminds me to pick up certain groceries if it detects that I'm about to get close to a grocery store and similar feats.

at this points, they're very advanced expert systems, with interesting cognition capabilities, but FAR FROM BEING SELF-AWARE for all those
>>57114770
>>57114836
>>57115005
>>57115511
nay-sayers/FUD's/scarecrows, as >>57115574 already stated.
>>
>>57115574
>Because it's not a big deal to program one. Every student that learned a little about AI can make one.
hue hue hue - I wan't to see you coding one
>>
>>57114692
But they are
https://mycroft.ai/
>>
>>57114692
>the future?
It is the present and also the past.

Or have you not heard of Wildfire??
>>
>>57115679
Why did you link my post, faggot? I think you probably didn't even understand it
>>
>>57114692
It is my belief that we are approaching silicon intelligence in the wrong way. In order for something to behave like a human, you have to treat it like a human. Full integration of sound and visual I/O is an absolute bare bones requirement in my book, but it seems to me that big-corp programmers are afraid to let a monster of their own creation have that kind of freedom from inception.
>>
>>57116195
In addition, all these cleverly named AI's strike me as arrogant to the extreme. Each instance would have its own name. Imagine if everyone was called "Cortana" or "Mycroft". I'd want to exterminate humanity too.
>>
It will happen when they condense it into an offline program with good control over the system. Right now, its garbage with its botnet like activity.
>>
>>57114692
literal botnet
>>
>>57116238
topkek
>>
>>57115769
Still uses Google for STT, since their OpenSTT is vaporware. Mycroft is modular, but AFAIK there are no open source offline STT solution.
>>
>>57115717
I can't make them, I just started "introduction to AI" course week ago, I don't know anything about it yet. But my roommate who studies a little different degree already has few courses about AI and he does face recognition, voice recognition and other machine learning programs.
Still, making such a program isn't that big deal, teaching it is much harder and practically impossible without enormous resources like google has.
>>
>implying anyone in FLOSS community is that smart
LibreOffice is the highest reach of what FLOSS can make good. There is nothing after that.
>>
>>57117169
You know, linux is FOSS
>>
>>57117265
Yeah and it's utter garbage compared to Windows and Mac.
I'll be fair and say not all distros suck but there are very few good ones.
>>
File: star.png (29KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
star.png
29KB, 480x480px
>>57117422
Sure.
I bet you use Windows on your router as well. And Google, Facebook, Amazon, Ebay, they all use windows for their servers. I'm sure that's the case, who would use utter garbage anyway?
>>
>>57116923

Isn't the robotOS (the OS that runs most of robotics) open source?
>>
>>57117495
>implying windows can't be used for servers
Also, Linux is not made to be desktop OS, deal with it
>>
File: 1377207285082.jpg (47KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
1377207285082.jpg
47KB, 350x400px
>>57118500
It's ok, anon.
That's completely related to what I've just posted, don't let others convince you otherwise. Nice reading comprehension.
>>
>>57118560
It was nice baiting you Anon :')
>>
>>57114692
The Future
and the End
in one User friendly package
that is until the AI goes rouge
and destroys humanity
I hope i never live to see the day humanity unknowingly destroys itself with AI
>>
>>57118871
How can AI destroy humanity?
It's not like atomic bombs and power plants are just servers with open ports waiting for someone to hack them.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.