[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what happens when i get hired as a junior dev but they want me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1476300497205.png (6KB, 195x259px) Image search: [Google]
1476300497205.png
6KB, 195x259px
what happens when i get hired as a junior dev but they want me to do stuff which i never claimed to have any idea of.
>>
>>57110350
You learn.

...unless you want to be a junior dev forever. If so, then you quit.
>>
>>57110350
Teach yourself what you are expected to do.
>>
>>57110382
What if I'm to intelligent too learn
>>
>>57110397
Given the thousands of "coding" bootcamp grads trying to get jobs as developers, IF you get hired, then that is enough proof that you have the required intelligence. Hope that is not to complicated four you.
>>
>>57110382
>>57110395

well i try but its complicated. i feel like in the meantime i will hold my team back. guess i will just have to have high hopes that they won't fire me before that.

>>57110397
also this. im a "nodejs web artisan"(kinda being ironic here but its the stack im most comfy with) and they want me to do enterprise java. i just don't know, java is so different.
>>
File: Disgusting.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>>57110433
>nodejs web artisan
>>
>>57110433
>nodejs web artisan
Fucking hell
>>
>>57110433
>nodejs web artisan
>>
>>57110433
>nodejs web artisan
>>
>>57110433
>nodejs web artisan
>>
>>57110433
If it was easy, they would not have hired an additional person to do it.
>>
>lie to get a job
>help guys, i lied
>>
>>57110433
you're a fucking loser is what you are.
>>
>>57110433
Just study on your own. I have a friend who has been working in comp sci for some 6 years and he works in a ton of languages even though they just thought him some java in uni.
>>
Look here's some advice you need to work any job

Get the fucking job done. It doesn't matter how you do it, or how badly it's done, just get fucking results
>>
>>57110433
I'm with ya man
I was never taught to self learn. I took an internship and they were like "Learn MVC faggot"
>>
>>57110382
>You learn.
This.

>>57110433
End yourself; web->enterprise java may be a big stretch though.
>>
At my first position I was the only junior dev on the team. Every other developer had 10+ years experience. Also, I'm pretty sure my role was intended for a senior dev, and I managed to scrape by somehow. I was doing the same work as everyone else.

The first couple weeks were rough but after a while you get the hang of things and run with it. I strongly recommend two things:
1. Make a buddy right away, you need someone you can ask questions. Ideally make several buddies. You have to be social.
2. Write everything down as far as processes go and specifically how you gain access to the various systems that you need access to in order to do your job. I really liked my first job but there wasn't much training and the internal documentation was sparse. You need to make your own documentation because you will not remember everything. It's okay to ask questions but you don't want to ask the same questions repeatedly.
>>
>>57111298
fuck off faggot. OP is a junior dev hired at a web dev firm, he's motivated to get a job and try to keep it. That doesn't sound like a loser to me.
>>
>>57110433
>nodejs web artisan
>not cantonese birdwatching bulletin board web dweller
Get your qualification straight, you fucking nigger
>>
>>57110382
This. But...

>>57110433
>enterprise Java
Oh god.

On the up side, nothing you work on will ever be as ugly again. But don't learn bad habits from that. Your code should never, ever look like that. Treat this gig as a "what not to do".

You may want to go looking for a new job. Your explanation as to why will be along the lines of "they hired me for JavaScript but it turns out they actually wanted legacy enterprise Java; although I was of course grateful for the, um, learning experience of seeing a legacy code base with a large amount of technical debt, that just isn't the overall direction I want to take my career. I want to help create high-quality solutions, so I wished them well and we went separate ways".

You're not the first person where HR have confused Java and JavaScript, and you won't be the last. Get out while you can, before you turn into a FactoryFactory factory or an Android developer.

And ffs never call yourself an artisan or a rockstar.
>>
>be comp engineer in college
>very little software engineering classes
>almost no oo after intro class
>get hired to write in Ada.
>had to wiki that before interview
>syntax seemed easy
>get offered a job
>first task, Anon, get this Unasex program to compile on winblows. Here's a compiler and ide for winblows
>learn how to create a complex project for the first time in an ide I've never seen before
>proceed to compile code, comment out code that is system specific to take care of later
>get it 100% compiled 3 weeks after hire date
>get it to run 3 weeks later
>They were expecting it at that point in a 4-6 month time span

Every job is about learning what they need you to do on the fly. If you don't know what they want you to do, find something by asking around. I went on to replace all of the system calls with the built in Ada libraries and implementing an ether net api to get it to the point where the other devs could start verifying functionality and making improvements.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.