[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>actually falling for the fingerprint unlock meme http:/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 8

>actually falling for the fingerprint unlock meme

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/10/16/doj-demands-mass-fingerprint-seizure-to-open-iphones/#5c40713c8d9d
>>
Always use a passcode
>>
>>57110265
You have to type in your passcode once per 24 hours. By the time they had your fingerprint the timer would have been reset.
>>
>>57110265

The legal argument behind this idea is sketchy and technical. Basically, they're saying that, while a passcode is the contents of your mind, and is therefore protected by the 5th Amendment, your biometric data, being a part of your person, is not. Note that this has yet to be legitimized by any court precedent. The right judge might tell the feds to take a flying leap. Let's hope that happens.

Anyway, the simplest solution to this problem is to immediately turn off your phone when the cops show up. On iPhones, at least, the phone requires your passcode for the first unlock after being powered on. It won't accept a fingerprint, so they can demand it from you all they want, it won't do them any good. You probably aren't even guilty of obstruction of justice, and definitely aren't guilty of destruction of evidence. You can fuck with the po-po for a good long time this way. Make 'em work for it.
>>
>>57110999
>bang bang crash get on the floor fucko
>grabbing your phone and holding the power button for 5 seconds to get the option to turn it off
At least if it had a removable battery you could rip it out faster.
>>
>>57111063

Realistically, I strongly doubt you would be able to pull the battery faster than you could turn off the phone. And, frankly, attempting to power off the phone is a lot less conspicuous and draws a lot less attention. If you're not directly inside the front door, you stand a pretty good chance.
>>
File: 163 - DPlfop6.jpg (484KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
163 - DPlfop6.jpg
484KB, 2560x1600px
>>57110265
Unrelated but somewhat related: I like to read local Swedish FUP Police investigation documents. There was a case where the terrorist suspected that their victim was using encryption on his computer. The terrorist watched and waited for him to get up and go to the toilet. They then smashed a window and the front door in at the same time and stormed in. I suspect that similar terrorist networks in other less civilized countries pull the same kind of tricks. I have also read a FUP where they tried to video-tape a victim for hours and hours and hours in order to capture him typing in his password.

There really are a lot of serious security factors one really should think about and most of them are really not that computer-related.
>>
All you have to do is use the wrong finger for three tries. At least on the V10 you get three tries until you have to put in your password manually. even if you restart it, it won't let you use your fingerprint until you unlock it with your code.
>>
So...
Passcode or grid pattern thingy?

Because a pattern is way quicker to swipe through.
>>
the fbi already has my fingerprints. no need to hab my dirty laundry on a wireless botnet.
>>
>yfw i unlock my phone with my benis
>>
>>57111194
if the feds really want to find your password, they can use some devices that listen to the sound/vibrations your finger makes when it touches the screen and get it either way. and that's not considering brute force, 0 days, booting the device with an alternative os/specialized tool to see its contents (if it isn't encrypted or if it is, they might have a master key/some other backdoor depending on the manufacturer)

in short, stop being retarded. your password will only protect your privacy from regular theft and if you have cryptography enabled on your files
>>
>>57111268
I don't care about the feds, I'm just wondering if, in general, a pattern swipe will do "good enough" compared to a passcode.
Or, in general, is the best normie smartphone security always a passcode.

I have no illusions that a well funded nation state can get into my shit, fighting that is futile.
>>
>he fell for the living in the land of the free meme
Feels good the Netherlands instead
>>
>>57111318
Swipes are very insecure, only 18 bits of entropy, which is less than a 4 character password.
>>
>>57110999
this is great, except for
>yeah we think anon is a terrorist, can't let him go until we see his phone contents
biometric data isnt the biggest threat to due process in america right now.
>>
>>57111501

Yeah, I would in no way suggest that you're actually going to get off scot-free by doing that, but if your goal is to ruin their day in exchange for their ruining yours, that's deffo how you do it.

Also, depending on the kind of person you are and/or what you're hiding, what they do to you if you withhold your credentials may or may not be less severe than what they would do to you if they see what you have.

>>57111318

The best normie security is a fingerprint reader.
>>
>>57111063
I'm think if you hold the lock button down for long enough, it will turn off without you having to slide the thing. If you're already holding your phone, then you could do this while holding your hands up.

If not, then I know you can definitely trigger a soft reset by holding the lock and home buttons, but this takes 10 or 15 seconds, and is harder with one hand.
>>
>>57110265

Yet another day in the land of the free.
>>
>actually keeping anything remotely sensitive on your phone
>>
>>57112196

>not actually using your phone for things

You should check out Windows Phone. I think you'll like it.
>>
>>57111063
>bang bang crash throw phone against the floor
>"I got startled and dropped it"
>>
LAND OF THE FREE
>>
>>57112207
Only normie plebs use phones for things. For anything other than calling, text messages and maybe GPS navigation, there are dedicated or simply better suited devices.
>>
can you please archive this story
forbes wont work for most people with adblockers
>>
>>57112261
You know you can search archive.is, right?
>>
>>57112207
What are you using your phone for that the government would want you captured for?
>>
>>57111194
I personally really like the pattern grid thingy just based on the fact that if someone sees you unlock your phone, they can't tell a friend your passcode or something. They can barely even remember it themselves if it's complex enough.
>>
>>57110999
It's pretty easy to fool most fingerprint scanners as long as you got a fingerprint from the target. And if you arrest someone you usually take their fingerprints. I think mythbusters once just printed a black and white fingerprint on white paper and it opened a fingerprint lock (not sure if the iphone one is more advanced)

Definitely only use a passcode if you have sensitive data on your phone.
>>
>>57112166
The difference is that in other countries this would be legal. In fact they would have a law not only saying cops have a right to do it, but that if you don't do it you'll be thrown in prison.

This is a clear violation of the fifth amendment. Anyone they did this to without due process has grounds to sue or have any evidence retrieved thrown out.
>>
>>57110669

From iOS 9.3 onwards, the TouchID sensor is disabled after 8 hours of inactivity, forcing a traditional passcode unlock.
>>
>>57111194

Pattern based unlock systems leave residue on the touch screen surface that can be easily reproduced unless changed frequently.
>>
>>57112605
Yeah if the only thing you do on your phone is just unlock the device with a pattern swipe. Otherwise you'd be using your finger to use the device and obfuscate the pattern. Besides that most screens are an oily mess.
>>
File: henry.png (2MB, 825x915px) Image search: [Google]
henry.png
2MB, 825x915px
>>57110999
this is the same stupid logic jews use when they justify civil forfeiture

>oy vey, it's not you that's on trial, it's your money! and your money has no rights to a fair trial!

Anyone with half a brain can see that this is fucking treason and not in the spirit of the law.
>>
I'm from Russia and I would be happy if my state was so much concerned about my safety. I don't give a fuck that some perverts want their CP or their own nude photos were encrypted, I want feds always could prevent terrorists even if they should have rights to hack into anyone's phone for this.
>>
>>57112755
Hail Putin, God among mortal men.
>>
>>57110265
How does it feel living in a fascist society ruled by a corporate dictator, amerifats?
>>
>land of the free
>>
>>57112755
Have fun going to jail
>>
>>57111224
Was just thinking this.
>>
Fingerprints are NOT passwords, they're usernames.
>>
File: 317.png (80KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
317.png
80KB, 500x501px
>>57112755
>>
>>57111224
>having to pull my cock out to unlock my phone
>>
Can't they just tell you to put in your password too? What is the difference
>>
>>57112605
you're supposed to use a pattern that uses only uses vertical lines, then your finger marks blend in with the marks you leave when you scroll up and down on your phone
>>
>>57112755
Greetings Nobleman who voted for Putin. This post is to notify you of your contribution to humanity.
>>
>>57111268
>>if the feds really want to find your password, they can use some devices that listen to the sound/vibrations your finger makes when it touches the screen and get it either way.

is this real life? Am I on /g/ or on /lbgt/?
>>
>>57110660
>>57110265

This. I use a 10 digit strong password. The fingerprint is not legally considered a lock anyways in Illinois.
>>
>>57111063
>>57112216

This.

You want to shut it down fast whip it into the wall hard enough or something. Theyll end up cutting the power to get it working again.

Too bad they are all water proof you could throw it in the fish tank or toliet or something.
>>
>>57115463
What about unlock patterns? Or iris scans?

While I agree with you that fingerprints ought not to be used as a sole locking passcode, they're pretty good if combined with a password or something else.
>>
>>57118800
>Too bad they are all water proof you could throw it in the fish tank or toliet or something.

Well you could have some salt water tank for sea fauna, that would probably break some "waterproof" devices when submerged.
>>
>>57111224
using anything but a finger, pretty clever.
>>
File: 1460551802719.jpg (167KB, 800x731px) Image search: [Google]
1460551802719.jpg
167KB, 800x731px
>>57110265
Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.
>>
>>57110265
Couldn't you potentially get away with this by requiring a certain orientation of your finger?
>>
>>57112388
>the USA is the only country with rights and freedoms
hello retard how is your day going
>>
>>57111473
>>57111973
Thanks
>>
>>57110265
Fingerprint is just so convenient, I'll never go back to a pin
>>
>>57119408
name another country with freedom of speech. I'll wait.
>>
>>57110999
>The legal argument behind this idea is sketchy and technical.
It's not tho. It's in the same vein as why compelling someone to provide a handwriting exemplar does not violate their right to be protected from self incrimination. Biometric data - fingerprints and shit - are "identifiable physical characteristics" that are not protected by the 5th amendment. It has been established in Gilbert vs. California. Unless a new precedent is set, the legal argument isn't "sketchy" and "technical."
>>
>>57115688
>not pulling your dick out to uncock your phone for Harambe
>>
I don't really care. Google probably has a backdoor to my Nexus 5X so if some government agency wants to open it, it doesn't matter what I do they will open it.

I use the fingerprint sensor to conceal at least something initially, if Tyrone steals it he won't probably have everything open before I have the chance to lock the phone online.

The real meme victims are those people who think a phone is secure. It's NOT.
>>
Does anyone else just not care because they're not a criminal?
>>
It doesn't really matter. Just cooperating in a case likw this works in your favour assuming you're not guilty because it speeds up the process. They WILL get a warrant eventually and they WILL get your prints eventually, you leave them fucking everywhere.

Biometrics as security is fucking stupid
>>
>>57120939
This. People who are sperging out about this are either legit criminals or have some kind of delusion that their data is somehow important enough to be backdoored by the gubment.
>>
>>57121066

>biometrics as security is fucking stupid

Please tell me how or where a copy of your inner retina is readily available.

>they'll just beat the shit out of you and take it

This isn't Russia, pal. Also, implying they couldn't just beat the shit out of you and get your alpha-numeric password, too.
>>
>>57121075

>labeled as a 'criminal' because I'm a white supremacist who wants to exterminate the Jewish race
>never even speed

I can see that happening.
>>
>>57121097
being a white supremacist who wants to exterminate the Jewish race is a protected right, as long as you do not do anything to incite actual actions that would tend to exterminate Jews. What I'm saying is that keep it in your head.
>>
>>57121078
Optometrist.
>>
>>57111063
Post fucko countermeasures
How do we deny feds their precious evidence
scorched earth
>>
>>57121177
>being a white supremacist who wants to exterminate the Jewish race is a protected right

For now. The Jews are already getting control of the supreme court.

Plus, let's say I'm spreading white supremacist propaganda and trying to convert people to my ideology, with the ultimate arguable goal of expelling the Jews from the USA. That long term plan could be inferred and cited by authorities as a crime, despite the "crime" only existing in the realm of free expression.
>>
>>57121066
>i'm glad my client complied
said no lawyer ever
>>
doesn't the FBI already have everyone's fingerprints?
>>
>>57120389
Switzerland
>>
>>57121208
>For now
As long as the Bill of Rights remained unchanged, it stands.
>Plus, let's say I'm spreading white supremacist propaganda and trying to convert people to my ideology, with the ultimate arguable goal of expelling the Jews from the USA. That long term plan could be inferred and cited by authorities as a crime, despite the "crime" only existing in the realm of free expression.
Please google Clear and Present danger rule. Your examples are a stupid stretch.
>arguable
It is "arguable" in the sense that the retarded can argue. Spreading propaganda is fine. If that propaganda contains something like "kill Jews at this hour and at this place" less so. In fact, having propaganda saying "Jews must be killed" would PROBABLY not be enough.
>>
>>57121419

I think you're being a little too optimistic.

>bill of rights unchanged

Not really. The supreme court only needs to change their interpretation. Countless things that are clearly unintended by the founders are currently supreme court ordained.
>>
>>57110265
probably unconstitutional as fuck
>>
>>57121419
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech#Supreme_Court_case_law

Ironically, "imminent danger" IS a supreme court interpretation.

> Associate Justice Antonin Scalia, writing for the Supreme Court, held that the prohibition against hate speech was unconstitutional as it contravened the First Amendment. The Supreme Court struck down the ordinance. Scalia explicated the fighting words exception as follows: “The reason why fighting words are categorically excluded from the protection of the First Amendment is not that their content communicates any particular idea, but that their content embodies a particularly intolerable (and socially unnecessary) mode of expressing whatever idea the speaker wishes to convey”

This guy recently died, by the way.
>>
>>57121442
how fucking extraneous about "unwarranted search and siezure" can you get?
>>
>>57121442
>The supreme court only needs to change their interpretation
Let's wait for it then. It's really hard for the SCOTUS to take a stand completely opposite from that of a previous decision that wasn't even hotly contested. If it's a decision that got through because of one vote, maybe. As it stands, no.
>>57121475
>Ironically, "imminent danger" IS a supreme court interpretation.
There's nothing "ironic" about that. Decisions of the highest court form part of the laws of the land. In that, >>57121442 is correct
>>
>>57121508

You do know a Jewish Democrat is about to replace Scalia on the bench, right?

The left wants hate speech laws. Period.
>>
>>57121518
>You do know a Jewish Democrat is about to replace Scalia on the bench, right?
not while the republicans can actively deny obama from doing so
>>
>>57121529

I'm assuming Hillary is obviously going to be president, which she is.
>>
>>57120939
Not all that long ago it was borderline illegal to be homo, and if you were and it got out, you at minimum became entirely unemployable.

Now most people would agree if you said that was the wrong thing to be doing.

The moral of the story here is what is illegal isn't necessarily morally wrong, anon. I wonder what we'll look back on in 20 years and shudder to think we ever put someone in jail for, or ruined someone's livelihood over.
>>
>>57110265
>Restart phone
>Phone is now only unlockable by passcode

Im sorry officer it just shut off :^)
>>
Just buy this before getting yourself one of these new spiPhones

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/hello-kitty-Crystal-Diamond-Home-Button-Stickers-for-iPhone-6-plus-5-4-4s-4G-iPad/32440768607.html

There are tons of designs.

/thread
>>
>>57121583
>he has to unlock the phone to restart it

rip
>>
>>57121518
who cares? There are - NINE - justices. I suggest you educate yourself on your rights and the processes attached to those rights before you sperg out about losing them.
>>
>>57121596
If you have at least 10 seconds you can unlock your phone and shut it down
>>
>>57112251
Still better than germany, here it says that it's a free country. Nothing is being said about free people.
>>
>>57121537
still doesn't mean she'll get one in without the senate stopping her
>>
>>57110265
"One-touch security" has to be the worst meme to date.

>Just wave your credit/debit card at this sign and it will ring you right through! Don't worry about someone else using your card; after each transaction a message is sent to you informing you of / confirming it, then you can contact your bank if it's unauthorized to lock your card. Don't worry about how much time it will take before you even notice the message, for the taker to do potentially irreversible damage and gain your contact info. Don't worry about that. Don't. Get a free chip upgrade for your card today, before it becomes mandatory and we just do it anyways.

>Just touch your phone/car/house with your fingerprint to unlock/start it! Nevermind the object itself being covered in your own fingerprints that someone can lift and copy, it's easier to not have to do things like remember passwords, or not lose keys, or think.

>Just stop thinking! It's too hard and we keep making it easier not to, so just follow the little paths we set for you to make you dumber and lazier and more likely to accept stupid ideas like these while paying us more money!
>>
>>57111973
>The best normie security is a fingerprint reader.
Not when it's a fingerprint reader OR passcode. The addition of a second route inward (which is always how normie phones implement security) will reduce theoretical difficulty of entry by some degree.
>>
>>57120389
>USA havingg freedom of speech
Also
>hur dur im a 13 yr old LONG LIVE MURRICA
>>
>>57112755
>falling for the terrorists meme
Wew lad
>>
>>57110265
I use a dickprint.
>>
>>57111178
This is why you use curtains.
>>
>>57121731
>long live murrica
unironcally that though
>>
File: 1355178462365.png (2KB, 188x128px) Image search: [Google]
1355178462365.png
2KB, 188x128px
>quit at end of MoP cuz WoD looks like shit
>never look back at WoD before today
>there were only THREE RAIDS two of which were on the same TIER
>THREE
>RAIDS
>TWO YEARS
>TWO
>YEARS

My GOD how the FUCK did this game survive such a fucking horror of an expansion
>>
>>57123181
wrong thread
wrong board
you fucked up
>>
>>57110999
Is there really precedent to compel fingerprints on people who aren't accused? Way back when L&O and SVU were still good, sneaking fingerprints was a plot point of 9/10 episodes.
>>
>>57119029
>some fat fuck at my isp deserves to watch me facetime with my family
>>
>>57121078
>unchangeable authentication
>only redeeming factor is 100% uniqueness
>oblivious to embedded scada backdoors which are the same

security pleb
>>
>falling for the privacy meme
>>
>>57112755
Becarefull what you wish for comrad...
>KGB Meme
>>
>>57110999
>they can use some devices that listen to the sound/vibrations your finger makes when it touches the screen and get it either way.

I call bullshit
>>
BTFO
>>
File: 1469992864312.jpg (54KB, 604x550px) Image search: [Google]
1469992864312.jpg
54KB, 604x550px
I don't even have a screenlock on my phone, let alone encrypted contents.

Should I do that?
>>
>>57110265
> Not living in a country where you're actually free
> Not living in a country where the government is forbidden to force you to give any kind of DNA sample/biometric information without judge interference.
>>
>>57121269
not really. Holocaust denial laws and other shit.
>>
>>57118741
cool research showed that you can LISTEN to algorithms and guess a password, across a fucking room.
so yea.
>>
>americucks defend this
feels good not being an americuck
>>
>>57121204
full guide on what to do when feds arrive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ePBNGmxVK8
>>
>>57120939
> yfw the CIA borrows your fingerprints for some overseas mischief and then you happen to visit that country
>>
source - https://www.google.com/search?q=cia+fingerprint+borders
>>
>>57110265
Doesn't the PATRIOT act do away with a lot of the Due process that accompanies most criminal proceedings by classifying suspects as terrorists rather than citizens?

Not American so I wouldn't know.
>>
File: 1471530549014.jpg (658KB, 1200x1911px) Image search: [Google]
1471530549014.jpg
658KB, 1200x1911px
>>57110265
>Act like I'm going to use my finger.
>Grab the phone and press the power button.
>iPhone resets, now the fingerprint doesn't mean shit without the passcode.

Your loopholes can suck my balls.
>>
I don't give a fuck about the police getting into my shit, but is the fingerprint scanner secure enough to stop just another average guy from getting into your phone? How secure is it in terms of someone trying to get into it? I've got an OPPO R9 by the way.
>>
>>57127407
>assuming the FBI will just hand the phone over to you with the risk of you flinging it against the wall
>>
Jokes on the FBI, my phone doesn't have fingerprint scanning
>>
>>57121204
get a few cameras and use some motion detection + notificiation script on loonix
>>
>>57111268
Predicted this years ago, which is why I disabled the vibration feedback for my swipes. Doesn't prevent smudge attacks, but at least it's more obvious if someone is trying to watch your phone over your shoulder.
>>
>>57110265
but that's illegal, they need a warrant to look at any locked phone, those Feds can go fuck themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riley_v._California
>>
>>57112388
Many countries have a constitutional right similar to the 5th amendment.
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.