[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ use for virtualization? Virtualbox? Vmware Workstation?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: ohmy.gif (3MB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
ohmy.gif
3MB, 426x426px
What does /g/ use for virtualization?

Virtualbox? Vmware Workstation? QEMU-KVM?

People say that QEMU-KVM is faster than virtualbox, and vmware, but is it faster video wise?

Thanks
>>
>>57103873
>QEMU-KVM is faster than virtualbox
at least it *feels* faster, virtualbox GUI is such a slow and clunky POS
>>
Bhyve
>>
>>57103994
yeah, i wish the gpu portion of KVM was faster, and the resolution adapted to the window...
it's just stuck even with spice.
>>
Boxes. Admittedly never used it but I have it in case I ever want to use windows.
>>
youtube stutters and hangs a bit.
>amd 7800 apu.

qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -cpu kvm64,+nx -soundhw hda -usb -boot d -cdrom ~/Downloads/Sabayon_Linux_16.07_amd64_KDE.iso -machine accel=kvm:xen:tcg -m 2048 -hda ~/Documents/vm/sabayon.img

>Haven't figured out gpu passthrough
>-enable-kvm is probably redundant, keep forget to test without.
>More ram allocated than necessary, but if I cut it back, muh snaphots don't werk.
>>
>>57104037
can you do cut and past from host to guest?
>>
whats the point in virtualisation nerds
>>
>>57104175
Why are you even on the technology board?
>>
>>57104175
if you have to ask, please get the fuck out.
>>
>>57103873
I use VMWare to run OS X and Virtualbox to run GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, and Windows. The host runs Debian. I use VMWare because OS X runs like cock and balls on anything that isn't a Mac, even in a VM. I get good support with VMWare but I fucking hate it.
>>
>>57104096
No. I remember seeing that in the documentation, though. Skimmed past it.
>>
>>57103873
vmware works everywhere with no big weakness but is proprietary
kvm is good for headless guest on linux host
virtualbox only if you need gpu acceleration for trivial stuff
hyper-v never used really, the networking and permissions are really basic and fucky, will cause random problems on the host, and just a general PITA
>>
>>57104187
>>57104181
more ass stings please!
>>
i run vmware fusion, workstation, and esxi
>>
Hyper-V
>>
>>57103873

Currently, Xen and Hyper-V, VMware workstation/fusion ,virtualbox, on different windows/Mac systems
>>
QEMU+KVM because unlike VirtualBox you don't have to disable any security features of the hardened kernel.
>>
File: Hide-the-pain-harold-phone.jpg (801KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Hide-the-pain-harold-phone.jpg
801KB, 1500x1000px
>>57104350
i wish fusion was available to other platforms than OSX.
virtualbox, is getting shittier by the day, how with 16.10 ubuntu host, the 3d is bad, vm resize sucks.

id never run on a windows host, it's pointless, what does /g recommends? endure virtualbox, or install vmware, or qemu?
>>
>>57104727
any more details on this? is there a guide to accelerate video on QEMU-KVM vm's?
>>
Reposting
When I run virt-manager I get the "Unable to connect to libvirt" error message.

When I try to run libvirtd I get "unable to obtain pidfile" error.

When I try kill libvirtd process in task manager I get "Couldn't send signal 9 to the task with ID 904"

HELP
>>
I have an extra PC that I turned into a proxmox machine. Can run KVM or OpenVZ containers. Works pretty fast, the PC has an SSD, i7-2600k and 16GB Ram meme.

I feel like hosting your own VM's on your main PC is kind of pointless unless you really do not have an extra PC/Server/whatever to run them on. Why sacrifice performance on your workstation.
>>
>>57104777
do you use another virtualization platform at the same time? like virtualbox?
if so kill it.
>>
>>57104012
If you have a recent enough Intel GPU KVMGT GVT-G gpu sharing works and you can have a Linux host with the same Intel GPU in the guest, Linux or Windows.
>>
>>57104787
No. The problem(s) presist after rebooting and I also removed virtualbox from my system.
>>
>>57104777
make sure virtlogd is started
>>
>>57104807
what distro?
do you have the virtualization instructions?
>>57104805
yeah on my main box, i got no integrated GPU, does that work with NVIDIA? 5820k?
>>
vsphere - esxi 6, also workstation. Define "faster".
>>
>>57104807
>>57104777
How are you running libvirt and virt-manager?

Sounds like permissions issues from you not reading the fucking manual.
>>
>>57104820
No :(
Intel is the only one that supports it at the moment, Nvidia is working on it.
>>
>>57104821
>vsphere - esxi 6, also workstation. Define "faster".

well, more accelerated it lags a bit.
>>
>>57104841
sad, can't wait, i'm almost tempted to sacrifice video speed, for quality, virtualbox and vmware are proprietary...
>>
>>57104844
Going to have to invest I'm sure. What are you trying to accomplish exactly, maybe I could suggest something
>>
>>57104879
well i use vm's has clean boxes, so i can run security tests, so it's disposable boxes, i need a browser, and i use ubuntu.

so i start a ubuntu vm, install my tools, then flush it some times, but lately with virtualbox, i have been having graphic glitches and slowdowns...
>>
>>57104817
It's running.

>>57104824
All right, how do I kill libvirtd?
>>
>>57104907
You're virtualizing on top of and alongside your guest OS. So you're competing for resources. Using a type 1 hypervisor (esxi for example) would help you with contention a little. My advise is to dedicate hardware, a server thats OS is the hypervisor and that's all it does. Then console in/remote to your VMs.

Also consider storage - get a few 500GB SSDs, they're cheap enough and its night and day.
>>
>>57104968
good idea, but i need it to be portable, in vmware there's no graphical performance issue :(
>>
>>57104860
I ended up just using Steam's game streaming feature from a Windows box for both apps and games, its super low latency and better than RDP.

>>57104940
systemctl stop libvirtd
>>
>>57104987
set it up at home, set up port forwarding and such so you can access remotely? Otherwise yeah man just stick with Workstation.
>>
>>57105004
>systemctl stop libvirtd
Alright, thank you very much, this fixed it.
>>
KVM combined with libvirt.
At work Virtual Box.
>>
libvirt + qemu on servers
VirtualBox on desktops
Why all the hate on VirtualBox?
>>
>>57103873
I use LXD containers instead of VMs wherever possible

Apart from that, KVM+qemu
>>
been using vmware player through windows for most sandbox or vpn needs
unfortunately i seem to have plagued my machine with over 20 virtual network adapters, and now have difficulty using my vms
will probably format it away rather than troubleshoot it because i'm too dumb

been looking into using a 'baremetal hypervisor' but i'm not comfortable doing that to main pc without a box to test things on first, so it'll be a while till i get there
>>
>>57105246
Probably because its proprietary, you need to load kernel modules that break to use it, and qemu is better now that virt-manager is a thing.
>>
>>57105514
VirtualBox is GPL licensed.
>>
>>57105514
>>57105556
virtualbox is indeed actually free, even if it's about as low-quality as typical proprietary garbage

anyway, the virtualbox kernel modules are buggy pieces of shit. I wouldn't touch that garbage with a 10-foot pole
>>
>>57105246
Probably because elitism, it's what most people use when they start with virtualization, I don't hate it, but if I can use qemu-kvm I go with that.
>>
File: nigger.png (33KB, 1648x84px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.png
33KB, 1648x84px
>>57105556
>>57105569
>>
>slightly unpleb myself and use ubuntu instead of windows server
>realise later I should have probably virtualised
>everything werks and has done for almost two years
>too scared to restart and virtualise

N-never touch a r-running system right?
>>
>>57105556
still but created by oracle, and we know for a fact that oracle is retarded.
>>
>>57105855
Oh right, that's the reason why it's such a massive piece of shit

The only good thing Sun/Oracle has EVER created was ZFS, and that's it. The rest is complete trash
>>
>>57104635
I'm using it as well but the whole no audio unless RDP thing pisses me off.
Also it hogs most of the virtualisation for itself so you can't go using 64bit vms in anything else until you tell it to fuck off.

Looking for a better solution really, i only have the one debian vm currently.
>>
File: batman-thinking.gif (408KB, 500x345px) Image search: [Google]
batman-thinking.gif
408KB, 500x345px
>>57105514
quite frankly, im ditching virtualbox and vmware, for qemu-kvm, i attached usb hardware, and worked fine, video is a tad slower, but fuck it. i'm done with proprietary bullshit.
>>
>>57105820
>N-never touch a r-running system right?
Unless you're a consultant.
>>
>>57103873
Hyper-V
>>
>>57106857
god bless those consultants, which are liable.
>>
I use VMWare

Use to use it for MAC OSX, and Kali Linux, before I decided to dual boot both of them.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.