[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>install Arch for the first time in 6 years >have to enable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 8

>install Arch for the first time in 6 years
>have to enable dhcpcd through systemctl

Why do Arch users still do this?
>>
>>57103825
Akari is only for bullying, she's a shit girl.
>>
If you wanted everything preconfigured you should have installed Ubuntu
>>
File: IMG_1871.jpg (52KB, 438x423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1871.jpg
52KB, 438x423px
>>57103883
>Ubuntu
>pre configured to exclude systemd
Nice meme
>>
Because makes it easier for devs.
Arch devs don't give a single fuck to the users.
>>
File: mentally-challenged-indian.jpg (25KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
mentally-challenged-indian.jpg
25KB, 250x250px
>>57104021
>Arch devs don't give a single fuck to the users.
>>
>>57103825
>Arch still has no installer
>inb4 muh customizability
You can have just as much customizability with an installer like Arch Anywhere.
>>
>>57104326
>no installer
who needs "next->next->next" handholding when it's so easy to do what the installer would do anyway?
>>
>>57104409
>who needs "next->next->next" handholding when it's so easy to do what the installer would do anyway?
I do because the installer does literally the same things much faster than you ever could.
>>
File: 1476320502416.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1476320502416.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>57103825
Because arch users are stuck reading memes on /g/ on how they should do their computing
Because having a sweet i3 config is more important then a working system
Because configuring Arch while reading the Arch wiki step for step means "you know how to use linux"
Because Ubuntu/Fedora/OpenSuse/Mint are n00b distros
Because the boogieman is putting malicious code into their packages even though there is never any proof
Because the AUR is a great alternative to actually using secure packages.

I want off this ride.
>>
>>57103825
>installing Arch the old way

Honestly, the only point to manually installing Arch these days is because you're bored and have a too much time on your hands

https://arch-anywhere.org/

Thank me later.
>>
>>57104481

If you can't spare 10 minutes for something which will last you years, then you're an idiot.
If you for some reason install the operating system on multiple computers and a lack of installer is holding you back, then you're an idiot for not using custom scripts.

Either way, you're an idiot.
>>
>>57104633

Or you actually want to use the operating system and install it how it's meant to be installed.

Kill yourself, meme parrotting idiot.
>>
>have to enable dhcpcd through systemctl
No, you don't.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Network_configuration#Configure_the_IP_address
>>
>>57104647
>a lack of installer is holding you back
I never said that
>custom scripts
You mean like Arch Anywhere? I do use them
>You're an idiot for not liking this
Ok

>>57104652
>install it how it's meant to be installed
It literally makes no difference, why should anyone bother? Why would you choose the harder and much slower method?
>>
File: 1427866546473.jpg (46KB, 456x461px) Image search: [Google]
1427866546473.jpg
46KB, 456x461px
>>57103837
>>
>>57104710

>You mean like Arch Anywhere? I do use them
No, I mean customized scripts which can be deployed on multiple computers at once without any user input or other solutions.

>It literally makes no difference, why should anyone bother? Why would you choose the harder and much slower method?
Because it's not harder and it's now slower. It doesn't use any useless abstractions, everything and even more options are available to you.
If you cannot understand that then you're an idiot. Do you even use Arch? What's it to you? Are you that insecure that you need others to approve of your unofficial and unnecessary installation method? You also have no idea what you're talking about as seen from the above comment to use Arch Anywhere to automate operating system installations.
>>
>>57104790
>Because it's not harder
It is, since you have to do everything yourself. I'm not saying that Arch is hard to install but it's overly complicated.
>and it's now slower.
Typing all of the commands yourself is obviously slower than clicking "next" and selecting some items a few times.
>everything and even more options are available to you.
That's true but if you just want a normal desktop setup then it's always going to be the same commands anyway.
>insults, insults, insults, you have to do everything using the REAL and COMPLICATED way to be a real Arch user
Arch users, everyone.
>>
>>57104858

>It is, since you have to do everything yourself.
>Typing all of the commands yourself is obviously slower than clicking "next"
Why can't you understand that an installer cannot possibly cover all installation cases? Why do you think no one is maintaining such a thing? Because it's not worth it. If your installation can be summed up by a few clicks on "Next" then your proper installation will only take a few commands. An installer is A USELESS ABSTRACTION and that's one of the core principles of the distribution (avoiding useless abstractions in the base).

>>insults, insults, insults, you have to do everything using the REAL and COMPLICATED way to be a real Arch user
It's not insults, it's facts. I'm sorry that you have nothing to back your arguments up apart from "it's hard! pls approve of these things so i can stop feeling bad and also so people stop doing things i don't like".
Use your problematic installers and do whatever you want, but don't try to put down the way how it's intended to be done. You're only embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>57103825
>not using static networking
>>
>>57104481
>faster
Oh no, a few minutes of your time lost

how will you ever recover?
>>
>>57104926
>Why can't you understand that an installer cannot possibly cover all installation cases?
I never said that it did, but like I said, if you want a normal desktop setup then it's always going to be the same shit
>If your installation can be summed up by a few clicks on "Next" then your proper installation will only take a few commands.
Yeah, and the installer would be faster. Your point?
>An installer is A USELESS ABSTRACTION and that's one of the core principles of the distribution (avoiding useless abstractions in the base).
Arch Anywhere makes the whole installation process easier and faster while adding no bloat. For me, it's not useless.
>It's not insults, it's facts.
Calling me an idiot multiple times are "facts"?
>I'm sorry that you have nothing to back your arguments up apart from "it's hard! pls approve of these things so i can stop feeling bad and also so people stop doing things i don't like".
I'm sorry that you have nothing to back your arguments up apart from "it's better! pls approve of these things so i can feel like a 1337 hacker and also so people stop doing things i don't like".
>Use your problematic installers and do whatever you want
Not problematic at all, try harder
>but don't try to put down the way how it's intended to be done.
I don't put it down, I just think there's no point in doing everything yourself when it won't make a difference anyway.

>>
>>
>>57104486
what's that semen demon?
>>
>>57104063
> implyin tripfags aren't mentally challenged by default
Also, Arch community is one of the most rude i've seen.
>>
>>57104486
Fucking this. /g/ Arch users are cancer.
>>
File: 1.jpg (79KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
79KB, 600x849px
>>57105163
Salama
>>
File: 1.jpg (79KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
79KB, 600x849px
>>57105163
Salama
>>
>>57103837
wtf the only moe chick i would kiss irl.
>>
>>57105226
ty anon
>>
File: 1448382416576.jpg (59KB, 761x611px) Image search: [Google]
1448382416576.jpg
59KB, 761x611px
>>57103837
akari is a miracle of the universe
>>
>>57104063
They really don't.
They care about developers, not users.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.