[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people even use shitty distros that use APT? ~$ sudo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: Debian_Logo_02.png (59KB, 775x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Debian_Logo_02.png
59KB, 775x1024px
Why do people even use shitty distros that use APT?

~$ sudo apt-get install <package>

>wait a year for 50 million unnecessary packages to download, in addition to the actual deps
>wait a century for it to extract all 50 million mother fucking packages
>wait several millennia for it to install those packages
>several million years pass, the human race evolves, those that come after homo sapiens get to watch APT set up those packages

~$ sudo pacman -S <package>

>packages download
>packages install
>done in usually under a minute even on shitty PCs
>>
wtf I hate apt-get now.
>>
File: IMG_0116.jpg (309KB, 2824x1277px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0116.jpg
309KB, 2824x1277px
>>
Whoever used all four major package managers will confirm that pacman is the superior one.
And yeah OP you're right. Only garbage worse than apt is rpm.
>>
Arch is for schoolkids, no one use it in production.
>>
>>57102898
Portage > *
>>
>>57103160
>implying anyone wants to use MemeOS
>>
File: 1476421421248.png (520KB, 841x724px) Image search: [Google]
1476421421248.png
520KB, 841x724px
>sudo pacman -R gnome
>need to remove all gtk3 programs just to remove gnome
They are all shit.
>>
portage > pacman > make install > everything else
>>
>>57103176
>implying that doesn't apply equally to Debian
Anything less than total hand-holding ala Ubuntu and/or Mint is a technical meme. Most users are never going to digest even the minimum command line knowledge to proceed with anything else outside of falling for memes.

If you're going to go for terminal enlightenment, you'll eventually arrive at Gentoo. Anything less is being stuck on a meme or not realizing the full potential of your software.
>>
Works on my machine
>>
>>57103374
I compile my own initrd-less kernel with -march-native on every machine I own, does that count?
>>
>ssd
>intel core i5
>packages take 20 seconds to download and install
Can't see the problem here my good friend
>>
>>57103160
>$ emerge <package>
>wait 50 million quadrillion years to compile
>>
File: debian.png (32KB, 300x500px) Image search: [Google]
debian.png
32KB, 300x500px
Not even Ian Murdock liked APT
>>
>>57103194
wtf that's not how it works bud. -R just gets rid of something and leaves its dependencies alone. If stuff depends on GNOME, you'll have to remove that stuff obviously.
>>
>>57102898
>still using the depreciated apt-get install and not simply apt instsll
I see your problem, baka
>>
I only use Debian over Fedora as Debian has a load of support and big community and Fedora has none.
>>
>>57103714
>have a core2 quad
>still compile a full gentoo install with all necessary software in less than one night's sleep
>maintaining that requires less than an hour of compilation per week on average

It's ok newfag, not everyone can install gentoo. At least you shitposted about it. That has to count for something, right?
>>
why do you need packages installer when you got glorious installers ?
>>
>>57104214
I actually installed and liked it, but i was using shitty pentium cpu and it took several days to compile everything
>>
>>57104249
Package managers are cleaner. Show me a single Windows program that uninstalls itself cleanly.
>>
>>57104287
Ironically old shitty cpu is going to see the most benefit from compiling with appropriate flag optimization.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.