[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What DE is best for kids? My son just turned 12 and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

What DE is best for kids?

My son just turned 12 and I'm going to get him his first laptop soon.

Do any of you have any stories of giving kids linux? How did it go?

And no I will not be using Gentoo.
>>
>>57102149
> 12 year old son
> In other words OP is at least 28 years old
> still on 4chan
You have to have a fucking sad life
Also install gentoo
>>
Just teach him how to install Gentoo. He will thank you later.
>>
>>57102149
I switched to Linux when I was a little younger than your son and GNOME 2 was pretty nice, why not try Cinnamon or MATE?
>>
Gentoo could work, just don't give him root and maintain it yourself.
>>
>>57102378
This exactly. My dad started me on Ubuntu with GNOME 2 and I loved it. Give him Mate.
>>
>>57102184
why leave?
>>
>>57102184
That's a lot of projecting pajeet
>>
A 12 year old would be able to use any fully fledged DE just fine.
>>
>>57102485
this. I installed and used mint and ubuntu by myself when i was 12
>>
File: 1476213523866.jpg (31KB, 540x305px) Image search: [Google]
1476213523866.jpg
31KB, 540x305px
>>57102149
Installing linux for your kid instead of windows is the equivalent of sending him willingly to work in a coal mine instead of hiring him part time at your company. Probably not the best analogy in the world but i don't understand what forcing linux on the fucker will teach/accomplish.
>>
>>57102149
Windows Shell
>>
>>57102149
when I was 13 I was using fedora core 2 with gnome 2.6, he'd be fine with any relatively popular gnome/kde distro. it's pretty fool proof these days.
>>
>>57102149
>>57102378
>>57102738
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
File: ゆる133.jpg (18KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
ゆる133.jpg
18KB, 340x340px
>>57102149
>My son
>>
>>57102149
Gnome actually seems like the perfect choice here
>>
>>57102664
same. i bricked my laptop after a few years but it definitely got me on the right track.
>>
File: 1476622453582.gif (3MB, 300x236px) Image search: [Google]
1476622453582.gif
3MB, 300x236px
>>57102149
>My son
You mean your wife's son.
>>
>>57102792
No, I meant Linux. Fucking autist.
>>
>>57102184
What is wrong with 4chan in this age? What should I use? Facebook? Reddit?
>>
>>57102887
>tfw you grew up in the pre-social media wild west internet and now in 2016 4chan is one of the last bastions of pure strain retarded freedom
>>
kids are stupid. Install chrome OS.
>>
>>57102948
I use it because it anonimous and has a lot of boards, usually I'm here or on /pol/. I don't see any alternative to 4chan. I don't understand why using 4chan is infantile.
>>
>>57102969
Fuck off, moron.
>>
>>57102149
Just give him a Windows laptop or a Macbook, forcing him to become a freetard Linuxfag is going to ruin his life

>"your" son wants to show his friends something on his laptop
>"Why does your computer look so weird, Anon Jr?"
>"O-oh i-it's Ganoo p-plus Linux, my dad makes me use it"
>"HAHAHAHA what a fucking loser, his dad won't even buy him a Mac"
>>
File: 1475687430404.jpg (78KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
1475687430404.jpg
78KB, 720x576px
>>57102411
You want him to mate with his son?
>>
>>57103103
>"Woah, your laptop looks so cool, Anon Jr! Can you show me how to do all that?"
>"Sure, let me just take a look and, o-oh, i-it's Windows, so it's not compatible with any of my dotfiles"
>"Aw, man, I wish I had a computer operating system that respects my freedoms instead of Windows"
>"I like to call it Losedows"
>"Right?"
>>
>>57103103
>>"HAHAHAHA what a fucking loser, his dad won't even buy him a Mac"

All the more reason that OP is a good father. I'd bet OP has also taught his son not to be a consumer whore that willingly pays for meaningless shiny crap or watches TalmudVision that is infested with ads and propaganda.
>>
>>57102149
Wat?

Give him a win 7 laptop or a modified win 10 laptop.

Easy.

He can use everything the real word does without a hassle and his mates won't tell him he is a faggot.

Don't give him a fagbook either.
>>
>>57102378
I did it when I was 10, you cuck.
>>
>>57103154
>hey anonson, can we play this game on your laptop?
>n-n-no sorry, my os cant do it
>you suck ass faggot, bite the curb

Kids don't give a fuck about ui, the want to play the latest habbo whatever they fuck the play nowadays.
>>
Just give him something with windows, all his friends will use it and so will his school, don't make him an outcast
>>
>>57103203
>hey anonson, can we play this game on your laptop?
>sure, let me just pull it from the repo and, oh n-n-no, this game is actually botnet, we should play something else instead
>oh phew thanks for telling me, I'll be sure to let everyone know that this game does not respect our freedoms
>>
>>57103249
to be fair the best thing he could do for his child is prevent him from being an autistic roblox playing retard
>>
>>57103249
Better than not playing at all kek.

Also in 15 years of pirating I never got something worse than a small pussy trojan. VM all the way, and nowadays the warez community is in arms about hidden "features", so you just gotts know where to get your shit.
>>
>>57102149
CDE. He'll get tired of it being so ugly and go outside.
>>
>>57102149

My wife's son loves to use Unity.
>>
>>57102149
I know this doesn't really answer your question, but it may help: I was younger than 12 years old when I started using computers and MS-DOS was all there was in my world. I and my nerdy friends managed to use that fine and we copied games from each other and had fun.

Your 12 year old is probably smarter than you think and a much faster learner than you assume. You could simply install all the major DEs and show him how to choose between them using lightdm/kdm/gdm and let him figure it out. And make sure you show him the terminal and how to use it. If he takes an interest in it then great, he'll figure out how to write bash scripts in no time. If he doesn't then that's fine too, some kids take an interest and some don't. If he doesn't then accept that, encourage and help him if he does.
>>
>>57102184
>it's a reddit border hopper who thinks 4chan is "shameful"
Lol pathetic
>>
>>57102184
Go eat a shitdick, niggerfaggot
>>
>>57103178
>calling people cucks
I take it you switched yesterday?
>>
>>57102149
>Linux for kids

He's probably already familiar with Windows, so just give him that you fucking neckbeard autist.
>>
>>57103203
>>57103249
ITT: People who had parents who thought them good moral values and how to think for themselves who therefore in turn want to grant their own kids the same privilege vs airhead mindless consumers raised by mindless consumers
>>
>>57103379
Why not WindowMaker?
>>
>>57103379
My family computer was a Sun running CDE. It's literally what I learned on.
>>
Mint Cinnamon /thread
really. there couldnt be something better. and teach him how to use google and he will write the perfect distro some day.
>>
At that age one can learn quickly so fuck installing user friendly faggotry. Instead challenge tje little shit, show him Arch and teach him how shit works.
>>
>>57103654
arch doesn't actually teach you anything about how your system is installed + configured
>>
get em a windows computer, load mint onto a usb, give him both, let his mind work.
>>
>>57103203
This.
Five nights at Freddy's is the latest shit they play every day
>>
Just install windows so he can play all the games his friends play, autist.
>>
>>57103424
underrated
>>
File: 1352341223797.jpg (27KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1352341223797.jpg
27KB, 480x640px
>>57102149
Use BTRFS and set it to snapshot everyday and keep 7 days back, it will save you alot of time anon.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.