[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does everyone on /g/ say that CS degrees are a meme? How

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: shutterstock-programming.jpg (1012KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock-programming.jpg
1012KB, 3888x2592px
Why does everyone on /g/ say that CS degrees are a meme? How else are you supposed to be certified as capable to businesses looking to hire?

A CE degree? Some other derivation of those two?

Are you expected to be freelance and just start working, so that you gain experience? But even then most companies want someone with a degree. That's just how it is.

Or did I just fall for the bait really hard?
>>
Because /g/ is full of losers without lives and have convinced themselves that wage slaves are the real losers in life and winners stay in their mom's basement surviving on NEET bux, cheetos, and mountain dew while tweaking their linux desktops.
>>
>>57099458
Install Gentoo
>>
>>57099458
It's a meme that spawned in /sci/, actually. You should go ask them.
>>
I got a job developing at an Enterprise compancy (i.e. C#) without a degree. Just volunteering (started with VBA macro scripts to automate stuff) -> internship -> hire (taught myself C# MVC to create their dashboards).
But I was always good at programming, and programmed games on my own time in high school
>>
>>57099458
are you trying to take advise from the Internet?
if so you have have bigger issues than picking a degree.
>>
>>57099458
They're a meme in that most of what you learn will either not apply at all to your workplace, or be completely outdated by the time you enter the workforce. Getting a degree is more about proving that you had the discipline to get one, and by the end you should know at least a little more than someone who doesn't have one. It's not a free ticket to employment like some people believe.
>>
>>57099458
Mathematics with a minor in CS is good, and so are EE, CE and Physics with a minor in CS. You could also do CS with a minor in Maths but, CS can be highly restrictive in what courses you can take and may outright block you from doing a minor.
>>
>>57099513
This is actually truer than it sounds. I'm guilty of it myself, then I have one of those crystallising moments of clarity where I realise I'm an absolute failure just like my parents tell me.

Every week I tell myself that I'm going to sort my CV out and make use of my only marketable skill, and every week I don't and I hate myself. But it's okay! The wage slaves are all unhappy losers, and I'm perfectly happy, right? Right?!
>>
File: Programming4.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Programming4.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>57099736
Why is maths so important?
I met a software engineer while on jury duty. He said all i had to do was practice lots. Like 3-4 yrs to get good with a language.
>>
>>57099732
I'd say this is closest to what I have found to be true. Only a few of my courses have been particularly useful and languages such as C# were not studied (C++ and Visual Basic were used extensively). The SQL courses have proven to be extremely useful in every job I've ever had though.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.