[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone use powerline adaptors here? Seems some people find them

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone use powerline adaptors here? Seems some people find them shitty and others get near ethernet speeds.
>>
>>57095034
Depends entirely on your wiring in your house.
>>
>>57095050
/thread
>>
I use 'em

works well in an appt building because of a blindspot in my wifi coverage, and we don't wanna move the router or the computer, for reasons
>>
>>57095050
They pass through circuit breakers onto other circuits right? Have ring circuits here.
>>
File: 1180_large_0_20160102143419.jpg (120KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1180_large_0_20160102143419.jpg
120KB, 960x720px
>>57095034
I use them and they just werk.
Also you should put them directly into the wall socket, that's why powerline adapters like pic related should be used.
>>
I had some for a bit. The speeds were never consistent, and always needed to be reset to work.

I returned it and got a PCI card that works significantly better, as far as speed and reliance are concerned.
>>
>>57095034
Yes. Not personally but I installed a pair in a big house built in 1985 to get wireless coverage in the whole house (second ap bridged by powerline adapters). They apparently work perfectly. Expect about half the speed they claim ("500 Mbps = 260-ish).

I have not personally tried but I have heard that they do not work well in really old buildings (1940s). Your milage may vary.
>>
>>57095034
I use some to bridge APs across the house. Just did a test with iperf and got 120Mbits/sec both directions. I am using the trendnet ones that were recommended on the wirecutter

I've had no problems our variance in soured except for the one that broke when the dog pulled it out of the wall. I think some brands are just shit.
>>
They affect shortwave radio. By using them, you may be breaking the law. The electrical cabling can act as an antenna and push out for hundreds of meters into surrounding streets.
>>
>>57095034

You're not meant to use them with power boards.
>>
>>57095034
I've used them in an 1980's house with copper wiring and an 1960's house with aluminum wiring. They worked great both places.
>>
>>57095381
Why did the FCC give their approval to such a device? Also what frequencies are supposed to be effected? Specifically not just "shortwave".
>>
>>57095508
Because nobody uses short and medium wave radio anymore. The only complainants are radio enthusiasts. The majority of the population is benefited from having these.
>>
Interference like a bitch. Do newer ones reduce this?

https://youtu.be/IZk2YlA9jT8
>>
House has shit wiring, didn't work

It's purely a gamble
>>
I use them and i hate them i am far less than 100 meters from the router so why i dont get an ethernet cable and just run it i have no idea
>>
File: 1452507872873.jpg (114KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1452507872873.jpg
114KB, 720x480px
>>57095034
They work pretty well. I personally use a slimline one that looks a lot better.
>>
Used it in a mobile home that had poor wifi reach from the end that had the modem.

Gave up and threw them in a drawer. Had at least 2-4ms to the router, got about 30mbit speeds with a "70% signal" connection. It kept losing connection and requiring it to be physically power cycled, multiple times per day.

Better to invest in long ethernet cables or better wifi equipment.
>>
>>57095730
Or even a long coax cable
>>
>>57095077
not well. I've only heard of issues with that use case.
>>
>>57095538
I can listen to AM radio sitting in my car in the driveway without noticing more than usual amounts of static just driving around. I certainly can't tell the difference between plugged in and unplugged between ~50MHz to 2GHz on my E4000
>>
>>57095730

you are fucking retarded
your adaptors sucked dicks, you need to drop just a little more coin for a decent powerline network

and they are only useful for people who have actual homes, typically with a second floor, to where they are trying to avoid installing ethernet cable through the walls and up or down to another level
some people dont use wifi because reasons
>>
>>57095629
That guy drives right by a god damn power line and wonders why he's getting interference. What a fucking genius.
>>
>>57095077
>>57095050
had those shitty in plug breakers in a shitty slum of a rental, any upload tripped the breaker and killed the power to my computer
ethernet over lines was useless returned it later that week
>>
>>57095817
The point is if more people use these, then certain radio frequencies are just going to be wiped out.
>>
>>57095830
The point is, that wasn't the cause of that interference. You could literally hear it getting worse as he drove closer to the line. I wonder how he even managed to get a HAM radio license.
>>
>>57095856
>License
>implying he has one
>>
Used them in a sleep out of a house disconnected from the main building . Some Netcomm model and they worked perfectly .
>>
6 years zero issues, apt. Just make sure you plug em directly to the socket, and the firmware is up to date.
>>
I use them in my home to wire up my desktop devices and they work well. i can save money on the cat cables which would be to long and its "cleaner" since i dont need to put the cables down. they work ok with the breakers since the ground is bridged. for people with many wifi ap's nearby they can be really helpful to get a reliable internet connection
>>
>>57095034
If you can purchase powerline adapters, why not just buy a roll of CAT5e cable and some cable trunking/conduits. You can either allow the exit to resemble a flex socket, or connect the ends to a RJ45 faceplate.
>>
>>57097532
Too much DIY.
>>
>>57097548
I would argue it is worth it though. Anything that is not connected directly via ethernet can have reliability problems in my experience.
>>
>>57097532
Because not everyone owns their own house smart guy, I'm sure our landlord would be thrilled if we started putting holes all over the place.

Either way I've had mixed results with powerline adapters, when we lived in an apartment they were fantastic but now we live in a house the connection is pretty shitty, for some reason it drops out for about 5 minutes a couple times a day.
>>
I use these because my cable TV runs through the internet and the box doesnt have wifi.
>>
>>57095034
Hello friend, it would be a real, REAL shame if someone would generate massive noizzzzzzzzzzzzze while you are raiding in a MMO...
>>
>>57095538
>radio enthusiasts
and nothing of value was lost
>>
I have an old house that's large. But the wirings good. In the corner of my basement is a wireless router covering half the house.

Then a power line adapter plugged into an outlet in my basement, and four floors up the other power line adapter plugged into the wall in my attic, which is Ethernet wired to another wireless router repeating the others signal.

In an huge, old house built of stone and mortar, you always have a full signal. And I set this up in 2010 and haven't so much as looked at it since. Never an issue.
>>
>>57098727
Perhaps he electrical wiring was upgraded at some point.
>>
>>57095034
I have some gathering dust.
Modern Wifi blows them the fuck out.
>>
>>57095034
If both adapters are plugged in to outlets on the same column of the breaker panel it'll work much better. If the outlets are on different columns you're better off running long cables or using wi-fi.
>>
I've bought them for a rental I was staying in. Had my desktop on the top floor and router was 2 floors down in a shitty corner, it was also a standard router from the isp so you can imagine the connection.

Didn't want to get a pci card for better wireless so just grabbed some simple ones and they worked great, almost no speed loss or latency noticeable.
>>
I've used them in a few places. I have had a high success rate with them. I've got half-gigabyte ones, thinking of maybe jumping to gigabit ones. They are worth trying for sure.
>>
File: 0002.gif (18KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
0002.gif
18KB, 128x128px
>>57095050
This.

My house was built in 1970 so it has good wiring. Powerline internet works well for me.
>>
>>57095728
top kek
>>
File: 61Eb62PwEnL._SL1200_.jpg (70KB, 1154x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61Eb62PwEnL._SL1200_.jpg
70KB, 1154x1200px
I use a pair of these.
Wi-Fi was not an option for me since the antenna in my laptop is quite bad.
I get 1megabyte/sec stable download speed but I have a LED light strip in my home (not connected to the same outlet) and if that gets turned on then the connection dies.
Not every electrical appliance interferes with it it but the ones that do completely mess it up.
>>
if you have one of these set up, can someone with an adapter just sneak into your backyard and hijack your ethernet through your external wall outlet?
>>
how do you drop cat6 cables down your walls without breaking your rafters?
i weight 325 lbs
>>
>>57101827
In general no, theres a pairing process, at least with my TP link ones, so they can talk to each other.

A random person/layman with no access to your house could not get access same as with a Wi-Fi router with WPA2.
>>
>>57101845
>i weight 325 lbs

Uh, no... there not a way to do specialized electrical work while you are 325 lbs....

Ive never seen a 325 lb electrical worker, maybe theres a reason!

Even if you were normal sized, its a total bitch to run ethernet through walls. Youd likely spend at bare minimum a week dealing with it depending on house size and you might need to get under your house. On some houses it might be nearly impossible to run Ethernet without damn near destroying walls.
>>
File: full_house.jpg (25KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
full_house.jpg
25KB, 400x300px
>>57099988

Nice digits.
>>
>>57095730
How does a fucking mobile home have bad wifi signal reach? They are smaller than 16 wheelers.
>>
>>57102003
They wouldnt unless you had some bottom of the barrel router in the opposite corner of the house hidden or something.

Any decent router will be fine... some autist sperg about Ethernet regardless if they can get an excellent wi-fi signal.

Seems to me that if you are already in a trailer, why not just run a fuckin ethernet from the route to the computer? Not like people expect you to have a nice looking house.
>>
>>57095381
how much does the shielding in cat6 migitage this
>>
>>57095034
i get 60 down with ethernet. when i tried powerline it dropped to 35. i gave them to my friend and he went from 30 to 25. his house was built well after mine so i guess its just down to the house.
>>
I actually just installed a pair of these.
This is literally the fastest internet I've ever had in my life.
Feels so good.
>>
>>57102358
nice meme
>>
>>57102056
>Seems to me that if you are already in a trailer, why not just run a fuckin ethernet from the route to the computer? Not like people expect you to have a nice looking house.

You can get brown/tan cable which blends in just fine if that matters.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (13KB, 290x105px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
13KB, 290x105px
>>57095034

I use one in my parents house. They have the router/modem by their tv on the first floor. While I am on the second floor on the other side of the house. Wifi signal is awful, here are my current speeds with the powerline, feels good.
>>
>>57102198
>>57102723

I use the 1200mbps, what were you using? That might have been your problem.
>>
If you do have cable TV (or have coaxial outlets in your house and have no TV [basically, that you're not using the coax for antenna/satellite), MoCA is pretty awesome in my experience. I used it in a house originally built in 1895 (substantially renovated in 1994) and with the older 1.0 adapters i can get a solid 100mbps. With the newer adapters I think you can do north of 600mbps. Ping to speedtest servers on the internet is less than 10ms from clients connected via MoCA and the connection is excellent.

It's a bit of a crapshoot in larger homes built before the year 2000 though (if the electrician wasn't a lazy cunt, the only splitters should be accessible/replaceable in the basement or garage [whatever point the coax runs to]. If he's lazy and used older splitters that block the frequency range MoCA uses, then you're kind of screwed).
>>
File: cucked.png (31KB, 300x135px) Image search: [Google]
cucked.png
31KB, 300x135px
>tfw your internet is so slow it doesn't even matter.
>>
>>57095034

I installed one in my dad's business, he's very happy his internet never goes out anymore and its fast. Runs a body shop, so its a sizable warehouse type building. With a small apartment in a 2nd floor area. That is where the router/modem are. Plugged in there, then plugged another into a old room where we have really long ethernet. Could not plug into the actual office, because the wiring is much, much newer and doesn't transfer the data. The ethernet cable is like 50ft and is fed all the way to the new office. Internet is fast, and has not gone out in the months since I installed the powerline.

Also thank fuck for switches.
>>
Get around 18/19 on powerline, but a solid 29 over AC Wifi
>>
>>57102823

Don't you have a local network?
>>
>>57102823
>BT have zero incentive to improve their infrastructure
>Govt would rather spends Billions on a train line from London to Birmingham than a few million on nationwide fibre

>Cowes
Not sure what else you'd expect living on the Isle of Wight though
>>
>>57095034
Literally got like 1 Mbit/s (yes bit) in our house from 1930.
>>
>>57102981

I'm not on the Isle of Wight, for some reason that's the server that speedtest always selects for me. I'm actually just outside of Exeter.
>>
File: l_16842033_004-700x700.jpg (54KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
l_16842033_004-700x700.jpg
54KB, 700x700px
>>57095034
My house is relatively big so wifi is very unreliable outside of a few rooms. Switching to these my internet went from 10mb/s down and up to 30-50mb/s down and 12mb/s up and it's much more consistent unlike using wifi which would go in and out of 10mb/s and drop connection during streams very frequently.

The only problem I have now is that it seems to cut out ever so often when I'm not using much internet. Maybe it's a power saving feature.
>>
>>57095728
What happens if you insert this into your mobo?
>>
>>57101958
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE 58 MAN

CONGRATULATIONS
>>
>>57103033
I'm in Exeter, using a server in Bristol, strange.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.