[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I read in a different thread that not all languages are the same,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: languages.jpg (432KB, 500x494px) Image search: [Google]
languages.jpg
432KB, 500x494px
I read in a different thread that not all languages are the same, and that although they can do the same things, different languages do different things easier. What languages excel in something in particular? I'm particularly interested in Python, C, Java, Haskell, C# and Ruby
>>
c is very good at allowing subtle bugs and undefined behavior
>>
Haskell excels at making you look like a wizard
>>
>>57094017
>python
nothing
>java
nothing
>haskell
nothing
>c#
nothing
>ruby
nothing

>c
everything
>>
Ruby is very good at being driven totally out of the market by JavaScript and Python
>>
>>57094017
C is very good if you want to write the fastest FizzBuzz program possible.
>>
>>57094074
Haskell is my primary language so bow to me
>>
>>57094017
I can only talk about what I've used here.

Ruby and Python are a bit more dynamic and free-form - you can convert between datatypes very easily and with little fuss; part of the reason there are many websites powered by Ruby (by way of Rails/Sinatra) and Python (by way of Django/Flask).

Dynamic languages are generally less efficient since that dynamism comes at the cost of increased overhead. For example, nobody's going to ever write a AAA game in Ruby or Python.

Java's claim to fame is that it runs on fucking anything and is reasonably performant, but both of those things come at the cost of much more "bureaucracy" required on the part of the programmer, converting between datatypes is not transparent.

C is still faster than literally all of these, but C is a fickle beast and as >>57094044 says requires an almost superhuman level of care and competence to avoid subtle and possibly terrible bugs that can do anything from crash your program to let hackers in.

Haskell is a functional language, but I don't know enough about those languages to speak on them. It's in the same family as Lisp.
>>
>file/text handling
Python
>crunching numbers
Fortran
>statistical analysis
R
>writing drivers
C, C++
>writing OS
C, C++
>server-side programming (sockets)
Go
>dealing with databases
C#, Java
>>
>>57094175
>Programming AI or Logic
Prolog
(it's not even that good, it's just that there's nothing better)
>>
>>57094017

>Python
Babby's first language, easy to read and good for learning/basic scripting, anything else it can do is done better by other languages

>C
The god of all languages. It's fun, intuitive, fast, lightweight, low-level, C does everything. If nothing else, learn C.

>Java
Good for learning OOP and making basic applications. Has it's fair share of shortcomings, but it's beginner-friendly.

>Haskell
Meme language

>C#
Meme language

>Ruby
Useless
>>
>>57094722
How is haskell a meme language? What the fuck does that even mean
>>
>>57095223
it means only hipsters use it
>>
>>57095326
have you actually ever used haskell? its pretty great
>>
As someone who started with C and worked his way into higher level languages I still always come back to C purely for how simple and sufficient it is for everything
>>
>>57095378
what category of programming languages could c be put into??
>>
C is good when you view the problem as something the computer should solve.

C++ is good when you want to describe how the problem should be solved.

Python is good when you need to solve a problem a bit faster.

Java is good when your problems does not involve math.
>>
>>57094017
>Languages
Literally 6 languages copied 20 times
>>
>>57094044
Kek, it's one of its best features.
>>
>>57094017

C hides very little from the programmer, allowing you to layout memory and optimise execution as you see fit. But because it allows you to get away with so much, it's easier to do the wrong thing. Think of it almost like a very pretty/easy version of assembler.

Every other language (with the exception of maybe rust) is just more and more abstracted away from how the CPU/RAM/OS actually works. All the other languages you list are really just middleware virtual machines/interpreters that are implemented in C and take care of certain aspects on your behalf (e.g. memory management).

If you want to know how the computer works, learn C. If you want to crank out enterprise crud apps that all have the same look/feel, choose java or C#. If you want to waste your time on hipster website rubbish, learn python/ruby/javascript/haskell/commit suicide
>>
>>57094017
Haskell excels at stability
>>
>>57095467
Imperative and Procedural.
>>
If it doesn't compile into machine code, I don't want to touch it tbqh
>>
>>57095592
> visual basic
>>
>>57095606
t. 1st year CompSci
>>
>>57095606
You should learn assembler if you really want to know how computer works.
>>
>>57095718
for real, the whole python/ruby/javascript/haskill/commit suicide thing is garbage
>>
File: 1443237483580.jpg (47KB, 558x564px) Image search: [Google]
1443237483580.jpg
47KB, 558x564px
>>57094175
>C++
>writing OS
>>
>>57094017
>python
best for building small things quickly to run on your own PC, good for beginners

>C
best for making software that runs fast and also for making software that you distribute to customers

>java
best for building large things that run on beefy servers

>haskell
very different, best when you need 100% reliability, will teach you advanced concepts that you can apply elsewhere

>C#
like java, better for writing GUI apps, only works well on windows

>ruby
very specialized, good for building full-featured websites quickly when performance is not a major concern, like if you're a freelancer with contract gigs
>>
>>57095821
first proper answer, cheers
>>
>>57095816
Windows is written in C++, only the kernel is C.
>>
>>57094198
Python does a good job with AI
>>
PHP is good at churning out websites and attracting hatred.
>>
Perl for string manipulation and scripting
>>
>>57094722
>C# meme language
Fuck off pajeet i can smell the stench of shit through my phone. It's a trillion times better than java.
>>
>>57097418
Well shilled rajesh!
>>
File: real_programmers.png (83KB, 740x406px) Image search: [Google]
real_programmers.png
83KB, 740x406px
>>57094107
>using anything but assembly
>>57096007
and windows is a mess
granted, a successfull mess but being sucessfull certainly doesn't imply that something is good
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.