[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people still do 4 year CS degrees when coding/program

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: course-20report-20survey.jpg (366KB, 800x2499px) Image search: [Google]
course-20report-20survey.jpg
366KB, 800x2499px
Why do people still do 4 year CS degrees when coding/programming bootcamps give you the same skills in a few weeks?

>Coding Dojo, a coding bootcamp founded in 2012, released a report Tuesday, which found that 56.5% of its graduates earned less than $35,000 before enrolling. After completing the 14-week course, graduates make an average of $72,221.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/27/technology/learn-to-code-coding-dojo/
>>
why don't they compare apples to apples? what was the average salary before enrolling?
>>
>>57092449
Read my post retard
>>
I haven't seen any CS jobs that didn't require a bachelor's degree.
>>
File: AFrog.jpg (40KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
AFrog.jpg
40KB, 657x527px
I think a lot of these numbers are fudged tbqh. It all seems very suspicious. Unless these graduates are localized entirely on West Coast, because I work in Boston and have not met a single programmer who graduated from a bootcamp, though a few started programming after receiving degrees in other engineering disciplines.
>>
>>57092422
>56.5% of its graduates earned less than $35,000 before enrolling
How much did the other 43.5% make? It seems like they are just fucking with the numbers to make them in their favour.
>After completing the 14-week course, graduates make an average of $72,221.
I make over twice that at Google after my bachelors.
>>
>>57092512
>>57092544
>>57092546
Cool anecdotes CS cucks
>>
File: HLG.gif (194KB, 228x160px) Image search: [Google]
HLG.gif
194KB, 228x160px
>graduates make an average of $72,221
>>
Other fields have experienced phenomena similar to this where there is a great demand, so the market pumps out underqualified, undertrained monkeys. Then the market stabilizes and figures out these monkeys are pretty shitty. The market then goes back to the actual degree-holders.

This happened with engineers decades back, where MIT, other top tier schools, and tech schools started pumping out what amounted to our modern definition of a technician because people didn't want all that lame theory.

However the market is hot right now so it is totally plausible to do a coding dojo and get into the market. Just make sure to not sit on your laurels. Once you finish the dojo and land a job, continue to better yourself so when the market does eventually crash, you are no longer just a monkey.
>>
>>57092422
so I can easily get paid double telling code monkeys like you what to do.
>>
I'm gonna do grad school, kinda need a BS in cs senpai.
>>
>>57092422
You're right, just convince the normalfags en masse so they use those services and the real CSfags to become full mathfags with scientific computing, AI, etc.
>>
>>57092422
Because they don't give you the same skills.
>>
>>57092422
"Coding" is over. It was a fad for Starbucks-drinkers. For ~2 years, it has been very hip and fashionable to go to a "coding bootcamp" and take selfies with HTML. 2 years is enough time for anyone to figure out that this is a total and complete waste of time. This is why the Starbucks-drinkers themselves have recently started distancing themselves from coding bootcamps.

"Coding" is not programming. Anyone can code. A monkey can code. It takes mental effort to go from a useless "coder" to a genuine programmer, and Starbucks-drinkers are not capable of putting in mental effort that goes beyond drag-and-drop. Programming means taking the time to solve a particular problem. You cannot cut-and-paste or drag-and-drop a solution to a unique problem, so Starbucks-drinkers cannot program. Cut off their internet and a simple for loop will stump them, which is why the hilariously easy FizzBuzz test is so good at weeding out HTML-selfie-takers.

Coding is over. Coding bootcamps are over. Programming lives on. You want to learn programming? Stop taking HTML-selfies and pick up a programming book.
>>
>>57092457
>56.5% of its graduates earned less than $35,000 before enrolling

>After completing the 14-week course, graduates make an average of $72,221

What was the average of all graduates before enrolling? Was it $68,567? What did the 56.5% earn after graduating? $38,000?
>>
>>57093557
So what is the objective difference between coding and programming other than your own arbitrary divisions? Sounds like you are triggered that other people are using another word to refer to the same thing.
>>
>>57093652
>In communications and information processing, code is a system of rules to convert information—such as a letter, word, sound, image, or gesture—into another form or representation, sometimes shortened or secret, for communication through a channel or storage in a medium.

>A computer program is a collection of instructions that performs a specific task when executed by a computer.

- .... .. ... / .. ... / -. --- - / .- / .--. .-. --- --. .-. .- -- .-.-.-
>>
File: rezzdc.png (50KB, 1232x453px) Image search: [Google]
rezzdc.png
50KB, 1232x453px
>>57093685
Look! I can use meanings out of context too!
>>
>>57092544
Wierd. I work in Austin and about half the workforce doesn't have a bachelors or has an unrelated degree.
>>
>>57093697
You can, if you like. Where is the apples-to-apples comparison of these "coding" grad salaries? >>57093627

It is easier to move goalposts than answer a question, so go ahead and talk about something else, if you want.
>>
>>57092546
>I work at Google
>I make $140,000
>I post on 4chan

One of these things is not like the others
>>
>>57093724
I "code" for Google. I make around 200k a year.
>>
>>57093734
Hey, maybe he's moot
>>
>>57093747
I "believe" you.
>>
>>57093790
Do you want me to post proof?
>>
>>57093808
To prove that you are working at Google making 200k/year, you will need to post:

1- Selfie with face visible, including hand-written current date and thread number
2- Your employee card, with legible name and clear matching photo
3- Official link showing that [your name] is working at Google
4- Current salary slip

I would not do this myself, not would I ask anyone else to do it, because it shows complete disregard for personal privacy to post such information on 4chan.

And this thread is not about whether or not you are working at Google. It is about these "coding" bootcamps.

How do we know that "Amazing new penis enlargment pill" or "Amazing new weight loss pill" or "Amazing new baldness cure pill" does not work? Because if it did, everyone would be taking it.

...tell me more about how these Amazing new "coding" bootcamps work, anon.

(And do not change the subject.)
>>
>>57093896
What do "coding" bootcamps have to do with "coding"?
>>
>>57093901
Apparently, not much:
>At her new job, Wilkinson isn't writing much code, but she says she plans to be a UX developer
>>
>>57093934
Not much at all:
>Francis Gulotta, director of web-connected devices at design and technology firm Bocoup, said he hired graduates from a four-month program who expected to be making products immediately. It took two additional months of training before they reached that point.

>"Startups are marketed to hire cheap, smart labor from bootcamps when they really need to build fast and get to market," Gulotta told CNNMoney. "This often ends poorly and the product suffers. They don't have the runway to heavily invest in their employees."
>>
>>57093934
I consider myself a "coder" even though I didn't graduate from a "coding" bootcamp. Please tell me why the work I do is inferior to those done by "programmers".
>>
>>57092422
>earning about that much without doing a bootcamp
>just got shitfaced and/or high for four years in college
>no debt because /richparents/
>>
>>57093734
You're kidding, right? Plenty of SV tech workers are fucking autists who post on 4chan. I also work at Google. $130-140k is standard salary, and with stock and bonus it easily gets to $200k. I'm sorry you're just not as good a software engineer as some of us, but it doesn't make us liars.

>>57093896
Google doesn't have "employee cards" you fuckwit. And what "official link" would there be? You think there's some website like google.com/john.smith for everyone who works there? Are you utterly retarded?
>>
>>57094014
>no employee cards

how do you restrict access to your facilities then?
>>
>>57094014
He's a well known shitposting tripfaggot and also runs a shill site.
>>
>>57094025
A badge. It doesn't have your name or Google's name on it because they don't want someone to lose their badge, have someone else find it, and immediately know where they can break in using it.

It's the same reason your address isn't printed on your house key.
>>
>>57094035
Interesting. My company's badges have our names on them and some esoteric numbers printed, but no company name or identifier.
>>
CS in college is more about getting a basic understanding of how things functions. Everything else you kinda have to learn by yourself outside of class.

My cousin told me this story years ago. He was doing his masters degree in CS, my father was at their house one night. He was just watching him as he was studying and then started to laugh, when my cousin asked him what was so funny. My dad told him that youre never done learning while working in the CS field.
>>
they don't
>>
>>57094014
>$130-140k is standard salary, and with stock and bonus it easily gets to $200k
gonna say this doesn't mean much since COL in CA is high in general, it boils down to like $70k at most in other areas

hell in my area $40k/yr is perfectly fine, $80k/yr you're living large
>>
I'm making 39k a year without a degree and have no regrets yet. Life is good and cost of living is low here in Montana.
>>
>>57094608
How much are you saving per year? Do you plan to live the rest of your adult life working 40 hours a week?
>>
>>57094035
It has your name, a holographic photo and Google coloring but no company logo
>>
>>57094615
I'm 21 and this is my first non manual labor job. Im putting aside a few grand working 30hrs a week average. When I move up from jr. I should see a significant raise. My friend who has been with the company for 3 years is making about 50k and he doesn't have a degree either.
>>
>>57094664
Good for you anon. I would honestly take a huge pay cut to live out there. I fucking hate living in the Bay Area.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161016-004530.png (366KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161016-004530.png
366KB, 1080x1920px
>>57093697
He said programming not program.
>>
>>57093947
Just built my new pc using logical increments, saved a bunch of money.

Thanks you beautiful faggot

:)
>>
File: pztqjq.png (44KB, 1151x296px) Image search: [Google]
pztqjq.png
44KB, 1151x296px
>>57094778
>>
>>57094035
lmao having a badge without a logo is gay. i work at ibm and we have logo, picture, name on our badges and i show off that shit daily
>>
>>57092422
How do recruiters keep a straight face when reading "code bootcamp" on someone's resume?

May as well put your codeacademy points on there too
>>
>>57092422
>75% currently employed
>81% already in college or have bachelors degree
>>
>>57093734
Everybody under 20 has gone to 4chan at this point.

You think reddit is a secret club just for neckbeards too?
>>
>>57093734
I post on 4chan and I'm and I'm worth more than 20 million dollars

and I know personally know richer people that use it
>>
>>57092422
>bootcamp
You learn webdev at bootcamps. Webdev isn't programming. I have never seen a bootcamp actually teach a programming language at a bootcamp. Falcon could use a bootcamp, though, so his gay-ass website isn't such a disgusting JS-riddled abortion.

>>57094938
Generally because the bootcamp connects its students to jobs; apparently you're not supposed to just take a bootcamp but you're supposed to let the bootcamp shill for you as well. Udacity will do this for you as well, but I personally think that Udacity is a much more respected and actually useful resource. edX and Coursera do the same to an extent, I believe?

>>57094998
Cool story, bro.
>>
>>57095070
Javascript, Ruby, and Python aren't programming languages?
>>
>paying attention to tripfags
>paying attention to Falcon of all tripfags
i thought this was 2016, guys. shiggy diggy.
>>
>>57092422
Computer Science != Software Engineering
>>
>>57092422

My friend did this. He "graduated" months ago and still nothing.

Stop lying to people and saying everyone can get a job doing this stuff.
>>
>>57094014
Yeah but you're probably spending like $2000-3000 on fucking housing up there, so who gives a shit?
>>
>>57092422
A CS degree from a good school is difficult. Programming is easy asfuck and any pajeet can do it
>>
>>57094998
I guess shitposting is it's own reward.
>>
>>57095937
true engineers are in demand

programmers are the baristas of STEM
>>
>>57092422
>Why do people still do 4 year CS degrees when coding/programming bootcamps give you the same skills in a few weeks?
That is the exact reason all mainstreem programs are garbage now and also why pajeet was allowed to take over the it industry.
>>
>>57092422
>Why do people still do 4 year CS degrees when coding/programming bootcamps give you the same skills in a few weeks?
>Why spend years when you can get the same results in a few weeks?
This sounds exactly like an infomercial.
>>
Because you only learn programming in compsci

amirite?

You must've gone to a community college.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.