[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016 /10/pc-oems-ditch-the-cu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: thinkpadX130e-04.jpg (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpadX130e-04.jpg
1MB, 1280x960px
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/10/pc-oems-ditch-the-custom-touchpad-drivers-give-us-precision-touchpad/

>Precision Touchpad made its debut with Windows 8. Co-developed between Microsoft and touchpad company Synaptics, the spec changed how Windows works with touchpads. Traditionally, touchpads masqueraded to Windows as essentially USB- or PS/2-connected mice—simple two-dimension, single-input devices.

HAHAHAHAHA FUCKING SERIOUSLY ???

Is this really why Wangblows laptops have always had such awful trackpads? Jesus it's no wonder you Chinkpad neckbeards praise the rubber nipple so much.

>Unfortunately, many PC OEMs haven't been equipping their laptops with Precision Touchpads. Microsoft's Surface Pros and Surface Books include them, as do a handful of others such as the Dell XPS 13 and HP's EliteBook Folio G1. But many others we've seen, such as the HP Spectre x360 and Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon, use custom drivers, typically from Synaptics. As such, they can't take advantage of the new Windows capabilities.

Welp, nothing more to see here. It's just business as usual in the Wangblows world: a perpetual state of stagnation and neglect thanks to third-party "partner" inertia.
>>
Synaptics is a scam, always has been. Can't believe the company still exists.
>>
>>57084881
>Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon
>use custom drivers
I was just about to pick one of these up but I guess I won't. I'll just deal with lugging my bricktop around to see if surface pro 5 brings a fucking 4G modem and longer battery life than 2 hours.
>>
File: s30.jpg (90KB, 800x738px) Image search: [Google]
s30.jpg
90KB, 800x738px
Daily reminder that trackpads are the reason laptops are still so big.
>>
>>57085341
T420 a best

X/T*20 master race, thin laptops are for homosexuals
>>
>>57084881
touchpads are shit
trackpoints are the way to go

See
>>57085341
>>
>muh touchpad gestures
Touchpad gestures are a poor compromise. Simple ones are basically a keyboard shortcut that steals your hands away from the keyboard, while more complex ones are always going to be inferior to the same gestures carried out over a touchscreen, where your movements are in actual size and you can see what you're doing.

The touchpad should die and make way for touchscreens, trackpoints and mice.
>>
>>57085341
I think screens and keyboards actually are.
>>
>>57087752
Nah
If they where, there wouldnt be fuckhuge bezels around them.
My X1s bezels are 2 to 3 times as big as the bezels on my X61.
And it had a keyboard with way more buttons, yet the whole machine had a much smaller footprint.
Fuck, I really gotta order a X62 from the chinks and get back a proper laptop.
>>
>>57087783
>X1
Is it the carbon one? How do you like it? Can it run a linux virtual machine for developing?
>>
File: perfection.png (245KB, 689x517px) Image search: [Google]
perfection.png
245KB, 689x517px
>>57085341
Keyboards are bigger.
Keyboards are the reason.
Fuck keyboards. Use Siri/Cortana/Google/whatever freetards have
>>
File: air.jpg (94KB, 740x741px) Image search: [Google]
air.jpg
94KB, 740x741px
>>57085341
Meanwhile in an alternate dimension where trackapds don't exist...
>>
>>57087926
>Is it the carbon one?
Yes
>How do you like it?
Meh…
It's better than the shit you get at bestbuy, but it's the worst thinkpad I ever had. Battery life and computing power are great, but anything else sucks, as it does on every oder (((modern))) laptop.
Keyboard is missing buttons and the keys feel like shit, the case is way to rounded and slippery (why did they get rid of the rubberized casing?), touchpad is way to big, so if you want to use the touchpared to occasionally jump in the middle of your text while writing.pad, be pre, 16:9 cancer, not very solid, missing clamshell and missing thinklight and blue enter button.
However it would be perfect for the few remaining emos, because its black and cuts your wrist, and the screen at least is a true thinkpad screen. alas, it's a shitty screen.
>Can it run a linux virtual machine for developing?
Of course it can. Every laptop made in the last 10 years or so should be able to do so.
>>
>>57088143
Well doesn't sound promising then. I'll probably try to hold out for surface pro 5 then. After all I use the laptop mostly for entertainment with the occasional coding on the side for fun.
>>
>>57089742
>After all I use the laptop mostly for entertainment
Well, then dont let me stop you. That's what the thing is made for!
It's a total entertainment and facebook machine. It just sucks as something to get work done, just as about any laptop nowadays.
>>
>>57089789
Can't really get work done on the go because I work in the defence industry. All work is done on separate networks in shielded buildings. I thought they were paranoid until I saw Russian TIR lorries outside the compound. It's more of it's nice to code on my hobby project in the hotel room one or two evenings a week to take a break from the hotel gym and netflix. The carbon looks nice because it's thin and not heavy and easy to take with you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.