[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, /g/. I have a few questions to ask. 1. How do I get to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Gennady_Korotkevich.jpg (140KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Gennady_Korotkevich.jpg
140KB, 1200x800px
Hello, /g/. I have a few questions to ask.

1. How do I get to an expert level in competitive programming? (You can assume I'm a beginner with no previous experience.)

2. What kind of mathematics do I need to excel in programming? (You can also assume I'm learning basic mathematics and I'm in highschool) Pic related is considered a god in competitive programming and he's very good at mathematics.

Thank you.
>>
Try to solve programming challenges without looking at the solutions.
Top coder, project Euler, code chef, Advent of code, codeforces should cover almost everything.
Just pick a problem, and start thinking how you could solve it. You don't know a concept, search it on Google. But don't look at the solutions unless you've already solved the problem, or given up after a few days.
Also, read CLRS.
>>
>>57062266
smoke meth
study
>>
>>57062631
Thanks for this advice. But can you suggest something about the mathematics part?

>>57062660
Eh.? Really? You mean adderall?
>>
>>57062266
>How do I get to an expert level in competitive programming?
program more. The best teacher is experience. You need to solve the problems of programming in order to truly understand and figure it out for yourself.

>What kind of mathematics do I need to excel in programming?
depends.
>>
>>57063986
meth, adderall, what's the difference?
>>
>>57064011
Depends? Please can you elaborate on this, anon?
Do you mean combinatorics, linear algebra and more?
>>
>>57064049
If you're creating a UI, calc at most.

If you're creating encryption programs, prime numbers, basic math and whjatever process it takes to make psuedo-random code.

game design (from the ground up), calc and geometry. Lots of geometry.

It really depends on the program and what you want, or need to do to create that program. Programming is a mix of math and getting other devices to talk. on that note, I would start with the "getting other devices to talk" part first and worry about the mathematics when you can code in C in your sleep.
>>
>>57062266
You have to obsessed with programming, being belorussian where there is fuck all to do but stay home and program also helps
>>
if you're not good at math to begin with don't even bother, you'll never be good enough, just do IT
>>
>>57064415
>Not OP
>Very good at math
>Can't into calculus

Honestly, should I give up now?
Was considering switching from Electrical Engineering.
>>
>>57064646
?? If you can't handle calc how are you good at math? Calc is so simple!
>>
>>57064133
>you need calculus to make a user interface

what the what
>>
>>57066047
>being able to draw animations without a knowledge of differential equations
>>
>>57065832
I don't know senpai. I just can't, everything else isn't and has never been a problem. I've always been top of the class in mathematics, did some tutoring, even took over the teacher and gave a few classes. But for some reason, me and calculus can't get along, at all.
>>
>>57066342
try khan academy and don't give up.
>>
>>57062266
He can pretty much get any job he wants.
>>
>>57063986
They mean methamphetamine, you sweet summer child.
>>
>>57064646
I don't get what's hard about calc ? Where i live it's teached in highschool like they teach you trigo, just another chapter to learn.

I think your school and country did a good job to make you think it was hard before you even started it.

Just read a book and do exercise and you'll see for yourself it's not hard, just different.
>>
>>57067758
This. Americans and their approach to math is really fucking annoying.

Also OP:

Google codecademy
It's where you'll learn basic stuff pretty easily
>>
>>57067787
That is of course for learning to program. Not to get good at 'competitive programming'
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.