[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What first motivated you to get into programming? What kept you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

File: programming.jpg (325KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
programming.jpg
325KB, 3888x2592px
What first motivated you to get into programming? What kept you motivated? I've been thinking about learning a language for a while but I just can't think of any possible reason why I would use it.
>>
The feeling of being complete and totally useless and wanting to feel like I could do something. Also I like games.

Nowadays what keeps me going is trying to find work and that I'm genuinely interested in technology and code. I still like games but I have a much higher appreciation for all things tech. I love to program. That and I don't know what to do with myself anymore.
>>
File: john_530_big[1].jpg (208KB, 530x424px) Image search: [Google]
john_530_big[1].jpg
208KB, 530x424px
>>57053293
Fucking around with QuakeC for Quake mods.

Realized most of the shit I learned applied to C itself when I started taking college classes a few years later. Breezed through pretty much all the courses.

Thanks, Carmack!
>>
>>57053293
not having friends, and autism.

i learn to program in my casio fx7400 almost 20 years ago.

i'm not a programmer. i'm a neet.
>>
>>57053339
>>57053349
If I have minimal interest in games what can I think of to motivate me to learn?
>>57053364
But what motivated you, why did you first start? And jesus christ you're too old to be here.
>>
>>57053293
I make stuff I need.

For example, I have a folder of around 35k images that I wanted to manage, so I wrote a program that lets me view and tag a large number of images at once.
>>
>>57053410
>But what motivated you
i already said it, loneliness and autism

>you're too old to be here
you are here forever
>>
>>57053293
Evangelion and GITS.
>>
You get paid a lot for easy work
>>
>>57053293
Saw how much money shitty flash game ripoff made on phones
>>
>>57053293
i started with c and kept asking new questions about how things worked. how do operating systems work? how does the virtual filesystem work? how does virtual memory management work? how does a translator work? how does a linker work? how do sockets work? etc

the only thing i can't figure out is the audio subsystem on linux.
>>
>>57053293
When I realized i**2 rotated the thing.

After that, it occured to me that I could draw things without having to redraw them over and over and that maybe some time in the future I could make a more meaningful approach to that.

Me now would amaze the me from then. He would also hate me for being such a loner, though.
>>
>>57053410
>you're too old to be here.
What is it with you people and saying that? This place was built on the sweat of 30-40 year old virgins. We, the youth, filled it in with our understanding of the times. You the new youth have distorted that meaning with all your faggotry. Please, kindly shut the fuck up.
>>
>>57053656
where'd you get these answers, anyway? I'm quite good at this stuff but have been prototyping for years, like a sudoku game, and don't really want to google any of this shit.

Funny, my prototype ends at the audio subsystem and then continues on to something else.

I really just want my son to learn this stuff the right way and avoid all the problems that might come from the "logic" traps pajeet has set up on the internet.
>>
>>57053706
Don't be so defensive m8. I'm too old to be here too. I just hope when I'm in my 30s or 40s I've done something else then jerk off everyday and read memes.
>>
>>57053733
You give too much power to that stupid old people vs young people game. It's literally girls and women teaching boys how to cuck themselves. They don't realize the problem is a brane one/"the singularity" rather than a didactic issue between what is now and what will be. They don't want to drone up just yet, kind of thing.
>>
>>57053293
>What first motivated you to get into programming?
Cyberpunk animes made programmers look like superheroes.

What kept you motivated?
I enjoy programming. Doing it doesn't require motivation.
>>
>>57053293
Crossdressing, of course.
>>
Batch
>>
>>57054152
:3
>>
>>57053293
I started programming when I realized I was doing the same things over and over and I learned shell scripting to automate it.
Then I fell for the crossdressing meme and now I'm a 3 star C programmer!

I'm gonna learn x86 assembler while wearing a skirt!
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2200x3592px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2200x3592px
For anyone who needs inspiration
>>
>>57053293
When I learned how much money people get paid at Google.
To make money.
>>
>>57054399
why is your dumb picture sideways?
>>
>>57053733
Lol fuck
I hope I don't reach 30 because I can't imagine what I'd be doing then
>>
>>57053293
>What first motivated you to get into programming?
My first experience with programming was hacking QuickBASIC and later some Visual Basic in my room because I hated football (soccer) but all my friends were in to that.

>What kept you motivated?
Nothing really. I stopped after some time, because I started doing more activities after classes and in the weekends me and my friends started drinking alcohol and being into girls.

I didn't pick up programming again until I went to university.
>>
File: mfw-retard.jpg (26KB, 474x474px) Image search: [Google]
mfw-retard.jpg
26KB, 474x474px
>>57054679
>>57053733
>>57053706
>mfw I'm turning 30 later this year and I'm still dicking around in this hellhole
>>
>>57053293
First thing I made was a virtual pet simulator in VB6. I was 13. You could feet it, buy food from the store, take it for walks, etc. Then Lua scripts then GTA SA-MP gamemodes, then raw HTML sites for Habbo Hotel fansites. In school I made a program in .NET to help manage my assignments and keep me updated. My motivation comes from the satisfaction of something coming together and having a purpose to fulfil a need.

Then PHP, then Javascript, now Laravel, jQuery, Meteor, Ionic, Angular2. 2 years into uni and I'm a front-end developer already @ 80k a year.
>>
>>57053443
Github?
>>
File: Screenshot_9.png (458KB, 628x352px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_9.png
458KB, 628x352px
>>57053293
I lived in Silicon Valley, so it was a good career choice.

When I finally settled on programming, I was already 3 years behind in school, and I felt bad about it. I didn't want to feel bad anymore, and I had faith in my career choice. Both of which kept me going. Plus, programming was satisfying work.

You're right though. Despite how satisfying writing working code was, I had no motivation to do any programming outside of school.

Now that I am graduated and am having trouble getting an interview, I am programming for at least an hour everyday to learn new things. To stay motivated, I've chosen an interesting project: recreating a now defunct website that I used to go to as a kid. It also helps that it's a matter of feeding myself at this point.
>>
>>57056006
>I am programming for at least an hour everyday to learn new things. To stay motivated, I've chosen an interesting project: recreating a now defunct website that I used to go to as a kid
this is super important, i don't work in IT at all, but it's important for my career to always have a project, you always need to be learning new skills. Especially if you intend to be good at your field, not just another person in it.
>>
>>57053293

Too lazy for Physics/Math..
>>
File: 1467748182947.jpg (30KB, 400x458px) Image search: [Google]
1467748182947.jpg
30KB, 400x458px
I needed to write macros for UO.
>>
>>57053293
I liked computers. Now I don't.
>>
>>57053293

The reason I'm motivated to programming is because I don't want to keep on being person with lack of skills, and I like working with computer.

I want to learn programming so that I can get job as programmer, maybe creating my own software for personal use and maybe become indie game developer.

I want to unleash my creative side because I like creating thing even since I like playing Legos, assemble miniatures figures and plastic models.

I'm currently unemployed, I don't want to go back and working as dishwasher again. I want to work with computers and I don't care real if I get high salaries, just enough money for my living and some enjoyment.

This is my motivations for programming.
>>
>>57053293
I played chess at the time, and came across chess engines. Wanted to build one myself. After that I wanted to make it strong compared to other engines. Kept me busy for a few years.
>>
>>57055797
> be 30
> post solution to clearly stated HW
> pretty basic
> thread deleted
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.