[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Try to name just 1 (one) good reason to use a Mac instead of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 2

File: B001AMHWP8-1.jpg (54KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
B001AMHWP8-1.jpg
54KB, 1024x768px
Try to name just 1 (one) good reason to use a Mac instead of either Windows or Linux
>>
>>57048083
Good for art and design, that's about it
>>
>>57048083
It's not Windows. Still kinda crappy though.
>>
>>57048083

Because I can spend my hard earned money on what ever I want.
>>
Have you ever opened a brand new, top of the range Apple Macbook Pro in Starbucks ?
Or taken out your brand new, top of the line Apple iPad Pro Mini at the cinema ?

YWN know this feel, IBMPleb
>>
>>57048083
>instead

That's the problem with Mac/PCfags. You would think on a technology board of a niche site like this you would get less people trying to make you choose one over the other. I'm an idort, I use both. I have an iMac Retina and an Acer Aspire V. Why the FUCK would I limit myself to one platform when I can have BOTH?

Threads like this expose how stupid the community here really is. It's not like a phone where in most cases you HAVE to choose one device. This is a computer, you can have several!
>>
if you're a corporate decider then it saves your company money. Somthing basement dewellers woulnd't know about.
>>
>>57048106
It's actually horrible for art and design. Processors constantly throttle on those turds so rendering image effects or 3D stuff takes eons. This is assuming you nuke the HDD and install windows 7 else you'll also have trouble finding useful software for your homOS X.
>>
>>57048150
It is your right, but that's not a reason though.
>>
>>57048224
Ah, yeah I don't know much about art and design but whenever I see ads for those shitty graphic art schools it's all Macs so I assumed they were good at it
>>
>>57048224
Poorfag detected

>2016
>Not owning a custom build desktop AND a macbook
>Limiting yourself to one operating system because you're a NEET with no income
>>
>>57048083
I don't like MacOS either but you can't deny macbooks are goddamn sexy. Apple's hardware game is on another level in the laptop space desu.
>>
>>57048182
/thread
>>
Laptops are shit in general. They're the wrong kind of medium between a full station and a tablet. If you want portable, you may as well go tablet, since that shit's designed for it. The only down fall is that a tablet's OS tends to be restrictive (especially homoapplefags), so cracked software's out of the question.. unless anyone knows of a good tablet to run cracked shit on...?
>>
>>57048083
J U S T
W
E
R
K
S
>>
>>57048083
>comparing hardware to os
>one good reason to use a
>Mac(hardware)
>instead of
>windows or Linux (operating systems)
>>
>>57048106
Everyone always says how macs are way better for media creation. But what specifically makes them so good at it?
Windows machines run photoshop and video editing software just fine..
>>
>>57048500
I've heard that the adobe software is better on OS X
>>
>>57048083
Perfect OS X compatibility
>>
>>57048319
being poor sucks please have some mercy
>>
>>57048500
Funny you mention photoshop, that was developed first for MAC OS and was exclusive for a while. And I'm not sure if it's still the case but Adobe's software on Windows were just ports and didn't run as well.
>>
>>57048500
At one point they supported softwares that Windows didn't, now the only program that runs noticeably better for the money(price to performance wise) is final cut pro. Better on osx + apple hw. Optimized for specific hw configuration
>>
>>57048083
It has the software compability of Windows and the looks of riced out Linux. Things like music production is also nicer on them with class compliant hardware which means you don't have to fuck around with drivers and shit like on Windows, you just plug it in and it just werks
>>
>>57048083
It has commercial software support unlike Linux and isn't garbage like Windows.
>>
>>57048106
This used to be the case a dozen years ago. Now apart from software made by Apple, the same major programs are available for art and design on both platforms and work well on both. But now Windows supports deep color (10 bit and up) output with the right GPU drivers, while Mac doesn't.

So now Windows has the edge for art and design.

>>57048151
Yeah. Makes you look like everyone else there, except you're not an attractive girl.

>>57048221
Macs most certainly do not save money in a corporate environment. They cost more and cause headaches. Ever tried to manage OS X centrally or set up something like group policy?

Apple, take the money you're giving these shills and put it toward fixing this instead.
>>
>>57048632
>the looks of riced out Linux
This isnt' a good thing
>>
>>57048557
Used to be. Now Adobe software is dogshit everywhere.
>>
iOS dev
>>
>>57048349
They look good but my rMBP 15" throttles like hell just browsing the web.
>>
>>57048083
It fucking works, and it keeps working.
Posted from a now 8 year old MBP running a 4 year old OS (Mountain Lion).
Shit works just as good as it did when I bought it 8 years ago, I highly doubt any other laptop brand can outlast this badboy. Not only that but it's speed hasn't declined at all.
And before you start pulling the "facebook machine" card, Photoshop starts up in about 8 seconds, I'd like to see your 8 year old laptop do that.
>>
>>57048319
Literally me as well.. Got a desktop i upgrade every so often, and posting on a 2011 Macbook Pro right now. (Maxed out in terms of specs.. Screen resolution as well for the time...) Then again i got multiple laptops and computers sitting around from fixing shit.
>>
>>57048500
>muh retina
>>
>>57048712
How's the luminescence on your screen? My 2008 MBP is pretty goddamn dim these days.
>>
I have 3 laptops (Macbook Pro, Dell Latitude, and a shitty chromebook from my school) and a desktop (custom), as well as an iMac g4 (for music). Honestly, I prefer OS X just because I like how it works. I prefer the look and feel of using it. I've tried to make Linux work like it but Linux and Windows just both feel like I have to work more to do what I want. On my macbook, I can switch workspaces and applications just by quickly swiping over the trackpad, and do a whole ton of shit just by hitting command+space to open spotlight. Macs definitely have their drawbacks (expensive, they run really fucking hot, it's nearly impossible to get any other OS working on them) but I still love it.
>>
>>57048764
>they run really fucking hot
They shouldn't, unless you mean the processor is at a high temperature which is not a problem. It's only a problem if it's uncomfortable to the user, which I haven't found my units to be.
>>
>>57048764
>it's nearly impossible to get any other OS working on them)
>Macfags think this

I have Mac, Windows, and two Linux distros (one being Arch) installed on a MacBook Pro. Also, I hate Apple products.
>>
>>57048740
Haven't noticed anything off with it.
I got normal macbook from 2008 though which is really shit and slow and there I can actually tell the luminescence has gone down quite a bit.
[spoiler]Also stop fucking namefagging[/spoiler]
>>
>>57048500
It used to be true when they used ppc, not really anymore
>>
>>57048865
>namefagging

I'm gonna thank you for this because I did that for a game thread and didn't realize it was still there. I NEVER look at the name field.
>>
>>57048877
>It used to be true when they used ppc
I don't see why you think that's useful for music faggots. If anyone, technical fields should be lamenting the death of PPC, since it had far superior floating point performance when compared to x86.
>>
>>57048816
CPU running at >90C most certainly a problem. That's where you start seeing throttling, increased electromigration (meaning greatly reduced CPU lifespan), and if it gets much higher, spontaneous shutdowns.

And because of how Apple designs their laptops, a really hot CPU means the aluminum case gets pretty hot.
>>
>>57048182
this, faggots here are fucking poor
>>
>>57048245
there's lots of industry standard software that runs on OS X

and the problem with many creative or industrial design industries is that they pigeon hole you into using shit, so "industry standard" software is quasi impossible to depose

windows is getting a LOT of quality production suites nowadays. but that's another, arguably bigger problem.
>>
>>57048632
JACK and ALSA are actually pretty fucking good at supporting audio gear. just as long as you buy standard compliant hardware, you'll never have an issue.

now if more projects had the quality of Ardour, it might stand a chance as an audio production platform.
>>
>>57048970
>CPU running at >90C most certainly a problem.
Nope. Haswell mobile parts have a TJMax of 100C. That means throttling doesn't happen until that temperature. Overheating is definitely not spontaneous.
>>
>>57048736
>muh buzzword
you can have high dpi displays everywhere, not just on applel
>>
>>57049044
It's less rich vs. poor and more what OS do you want to run most of the time on the machine.

Mac: Comes with OS X, can install Windows or Linux (but on Windows if your Mac has dual GPUs with switching, you're stuck with the dedicated one with no option to use the Intel one or have access to QuickSync Video)

PC: Usually comes with Windows, can install Linux or OS X if you know what you're doing (though OS X may run poorly or not at all depending on how compatible your hardware is)

So, if you want OS X, get a Mac, or a PC if you're clever. If you want Windows, get a PC, or a Mac if you don't mind installing it yourself and not having QuickSync Video. If you want Linux, get either.

>>57049198
They usually start throttling at a bit less than TJmax. They throttle hard at TJmax on their own. Then if they go any over that, they shut off spontaneously to save themselves.

And no, TJmax=100C does not mean that the CPU will live as long at 99C as it would at 70C. Electromigration will still start at around 90.
>>
>>57048319
applel autism detected

>not owning a custom build desktop AND a laptop with a nice price/performance ratio that doesn't throttle or can't be bent easily AND a free (as in freedom) operating system
>>
>>57049246
>They usually start throttling at a bit less than TJmax
Not in my experience.
>Then if they go any over that, they shut off spontaneously to save themselves.
Yea, they'll do everything they can to not breach 101C, but they'll sit at 100C all day.
>And no, TJmax=100C does not mean that the CPU will live as long at 99C as it would at 70C. Electromigration will still start at around 90.
Meh, who cares? If that's even true, which I doubt, the laptop will be trashed long before any noticeable effects occur.
>>
>>57048083
I suck penises.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.