[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best Linux distro to recommend to friends and family?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: 1474722501184_1.webm (305KB, 551x350px) Image search: [Google]
1474722501184_1.webm
305KB, 551x350px
What is the best Linux distro to recommend to friends and family? Most of the stuff they do is in the web browser, and Linux already has Chrome and Firefox.
>>
>>57045495
my computer illiterate mum uses xubuntu which is configured to be foolproof
>>
>>57045495

Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and other forks are pretty user-friendly, but highly botnet.

Debian, Linux Mint and Manjaro shouldn't be difficult to work with, as long as you can point them to the location of the browser and text editor. There are Live CDs of Debian to make things more simple.

Gentoo, Salix, Zenwalk or any other Slackware-based system if you don't want systemd. I'm pretty sure there are Live CD versions of Gentoo somewhere, if that simplifies installation. Salix and Zenwalk are both pretty straightforward to install, as long as you know how to cfdisk partition.
>>
I put Linux Mint MATE on my mum's old laptop.
>>
File: chromebook-logo.png (16KB, 736x172px) Image search: [Google]
chromebook-logo.png
16KB, 736x172px
>Linux
>friends and family
>Most of the stuff they do is in the web browser

https://www.google.com/chromebook/

Not even joking.

Chromebooks + Chrome OS are very affordable, very user-friendly, and since they probably use Chrome already, they should feel right at home.

>but muh offline use
There are plenty of Chromebook apps which work offline. Google Docs is one of them. Check out all of these offline apps:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/collection/offline_enabled

>but muh botnet meme
They probably all use Windows 10, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Gmail, etc. If that's true (and it most likely is), it won't make a bit of difference.
>>
>>57045709
>shilling

Disregard this, OP
/g/ is full of paid advertisers
>>
File: 13876316135_c18eb3a51b_o.jpg (448KB, 1083x800px) Image search: [Google]
13876316135_c18eb3a51b_o.jpg
448KB, 1083x800px
>>57045670
Quite Minty indeed.
>>
>>57045495
i got my gf to use xubuntu. after about a week she was already confident enough to use apt
>>
File: Rarity.jpg (3MB, 2353x2316px) Image search: [Google]
Rarity.jpg
3MB, 2353x2316px
>>57045495
depending on the family member, I recommend:
Xubuntu/Kubuntu - halfway competent
Mint - windows babby
Elementary - mac-tard tier

>pic unrelated
>>
>>57045495
linux mint.
>>
>>57045495
Soe is cute
>>
>>57045495
Gentoo
>>
>>57047819
I wish she'd make an ASMR video already. I want her to relax and soothe me to sleep. :)
>>
File: soembie-heart.jpg (92KB, 638x744px) Image search: [Google]
soembie-heart.jpg
92KB, 638x744px
>>57047819
Soe is love. <3
>>
>>57045495
Manjaro
>>
ubunga mate
>>
>>57045495
linux mint for beginners. Works every time. Still have to fish for flash but windows is sometimes a pain the ass when it comes to flash as well.
>>
I'd recommend Xubuntu if they're familiar with Windows already. Definitely wouldn't recommend anything outside of the *ubuntu distros as you'll just get bombarded with tech questions about everything.
>>
>>57045977
>filename
a faggot brony and an elitist? all they need to use is a browser and you want them to not be mactard tier? fuck off.

OP, install gnome ubuntu
>>
File: 1389288314673.jpg (15KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
1389288314673.jpg
15KB, 261x195px
>>57049899
>imblying it's my computer and not just a pic I saved from a /bst/ to troll asshats like yourself
I'm no elitist, and I didn't say they couldn't be mac-tards. I'm simply saying that for my friends and family that have that level of tech ability, I go with Elementary because it's nigh impossible to fuck up.
>>
>>57045495
Just be an hero and install one for them. You can configure the install to suit the most normies of normies.

Use a Devuan/Debian or Manjaro netinstall for that.

If you are letting normies install their first distro, go for Linux Lite, Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Mint.
>>
>>57050332
that makes sense. that pic is nice b8. Elementary is retard proof if they don't like ricing desktops
>>
>>57045617
What's botnet about them?
>>
tails
>>
>>57050788
fuck off snowden
>>
File: 1471232237647.jpg (236KB, 1200x892px) Image search: [Google]
1471232237647.jpg
236KB, 1200x892px
>>57045495
>>
obongo net install if you want arch but dont want arch
>>
I'd say Mint Mate too, as long as they stick to the gui package managers and never try to use commandline package management. Mint is kind of mangled in regard to jury-rigged repo settings that don't always work right with apt-get. Otherwise it's about the easiest and most user-friendly linux distro for grandma.
>>
Mint cinnamon, lubuntu, xubuntu, Ubuntu mate, or elementary
>>
>>57045977
Heck I haven't been on mlp in a year. Glad to see you're still alive. Always loved that computer of yours

And Ubuntu is nice. Debian I liked too but Ubuntu would be better straight out the box for folks who are tech illiterate
>>
File: PCLOS.png (55KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
PCLOS.png
55KB, 250x250px
>>57045495
PCLinuxOS
>>
>>57045495
if they're literally just using the web, there's a distro called just browsing, that's essentially just a bootable environment and a web browser
>>
Ubuntu you stupid fuck
>>
File: pajeet.png (874KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pajeet.png
874KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>57045495
Friendliness comes mainly from UI.
In this case the DE.
As of now most DE are pretty intuitive.
If they come from XP Xfce could ve good.
If they come from MacOS try Gnome.
From Windows 7 or newer, Unity I'd say.

As for the distro itself stability is of the utmost importance, so debian.
>>
Noobuntu is so bloated
>>
>>57045617
>Ubuntu flavors
>Highly botnet
Check the code tinfoil-fag
>Thinks ubuntu forks are botnet
>Recommends mint,. Distro that got turned into a literally botnet
Fuck off
>>
>>57045495
I installed Manjaro on my parents' laptop,
ubuntu is BLOATED
>>
>>57054960
Only non retarded answer. Put a nice theme like adapta,paper, or numix. Not being and eyesore is a huge part of user freindlinss
>>
>>57055584
While it is paranoid thinking Ubuntu is botnet, Canonical has show their untrustworthiness in the past and many would refuse to associate with the based on that. Also Mint never got turned into a botnet; the website was hacked and links were replaced with malicious ones that would download a compromised version. The hack was with the website, not with the actual distro; whereas Ubuntu was intentionally compromised with tracking shit from amazon.
>>
>>57055653
While ubuntu has shown it's shadiness, I wouldnt gonna say its a botnet.
1. It's gone
2. You can check the code
3. You could use one of the flavors
Or
4. Install debian stretch since is basically a super minimal ubuntu install
Plus mint is based on ubuntu so this guys fucking retarded
>>
>>57055748
It's not Ubuntu that's the problem, just how much of a shifty heeb Canonical is. I and many others wouldn't want to download their distro just based upon them being untrustworthy. Sure it's open source, but that didn't stop their tracking shit to begin with.
>>
Would Opensuse be good for this kind of case?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.