[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>install Arch >work with it for 2 weeks >update >TEH

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

File: fuck-arch.png (103KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
fuck-arch.png
103KB, 400x400px
>install Arch
>work with it for 2 weeks
>update
>TEH FUCKEN KEYBOARD STOPS WORKING AT THE LOGIN SCREEN BUT EVERYWHERE ELSE IT'S FINE
>>
>>57045162
>going 2 weeks on a rolling release distro without updating

well what did you expect?
>>
>>57045174

I meant "one day I update it"
>>
>>57045162

had to make it bypass login fuck this is annoying
>>
>>57045162
What the hell are you people messing up is unknown to me. I didn't use arch for fucking 6 months on my desktop, booted into it, updated and had no problems whatsoever except a dkms that had to be recompiled because of kernel updates.
>>
>>57045262

fuck off mate

1. i'm a linux sys admin, I know what the fuck I'm doing
2. i barely got to use this shit for two weeks, only browsed on it and update it and it fucking broke
>>
>>57045313
werkz on my machine ;^)
>>
>installs the most unstable distro
>complains it doesn't work
>>
>>57045313
Then that must be fucking magic because I never had any fucking issue.
>>
>>57045162
what the hell was broken?

I feel like I am on the only fucking person on /g/ that doesn't have this whole arch fucked my computer during an update. Maybe I am so good at fixing the problems I don't notice I fix them?
>>
>>57045162
apparently this was an issue on ubuntu a few years back but i also had the issue today on arch. workaround is so fucking stupid but it works.

drag literally any element into the password box, you still cant do shit, click the drop down and press reset to reload lightdm, drag any element into the password box again but now you can backspace and type your shit.

yeah idk it fucking works tho
>>
>>57045461
>I feel like I am on the only fucking person on /g/ that doesn't have this whole arch fucked my computer during an update.
I have three fucking arch installations and zero fucking problems
>>
>>57045313
>I know what the fuck I'm doing
Every painfully long and annoying tech support call starts with these words.
>>
>use a distro based on barely tested code
>surprised shit breaks after an update

Use Slackware if you want stability
>>
I use community-testing repository and such, sometimes strange things happens but i'm happy with the experience. Just need to work around or wait a fix.
>>
>>57045262
They run pacman -Sy $package every time they install something, and then complain about Arch when their partial upgrades break the system.
>>
>>57045607
I update date the whole thing all the time and I still never run into problems. Although I just run i3 and start it from the command line. there is not a lot of shit on my system to break I guess.
>>
>>57045313
apparently you're doing a shit job you cunt
>>
>>57045503

WAAAAAAT

that is literally the stupidest shit ever

(yeah it worked)
>>
So I was trying to install pacaur, installed all the dependencies just fine, but when I go to build pacaur it still tells me two of the dependencies (cower and expac) can't be found.

However both were built from AUR and installed without errors, even after restart and a pacman -Syu it still wont build.

Am I too stupid for arch?
>>
>>57045162
arch is not a "it just werks" distro, you have to read the changelog everything in every update.

There was an update to evdev recently, maybe you should start from there.
>>
>>57045162
Thats a grub bug I think, if you hit escape and go to verbose its fine right?
>>
>install antergos
>wait like 1/2 month
>update
>all works
>>
>>57045313
I've never had any issues with my arch install. Either you just think you know what you're doing, or some of your packages are messing with things they shouldn't be.
>>
>>57046418

wut mate? i goes past grub, it's the fucking lightdm
>>
How u know dat tho
>>
>>57045162
My friend has the same shit
>>
>>57046966

who's your friend?
>>
>>57045313
> i'm a linux sys admin, I know what the fuck I'm doing
into the trash it goes, and if you are actually being serious, you clearly are garbage and exactly not the kind of people we need working in the it field.
>>
>>57047006

get the fuck outta here, i just told you i barely got to use this shit, it worked for 2 weeks with constant updates. how the fuck do you infer from there that i don't belong in the it field?

do you even know what a linux sysadmin does, mate? you think i stay all day troubleshooting shitty greeters?
>>
File: faggot.jpg (16KB, 442x193px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
16KB, 442x193px
>>
>>57047001
You. Wake up
>>
>>57047126

wow bro
>>
>>57047079
>try using computer
>have to google because the KEYBOARD doesn't work
linux
>>
>>57047191
>not dual booting so he can load into another OS if the main OS is corrupted.

Retard
>>
>>57047222

gg linux if that is necessary
>>
>>57047222

>retard

read the thread, man, I can boot into it and also found a workaround to autologin
>>
>>57045840
>I update date the whole thing all the time and I still never run into problems.
That's the point.

Partial upgrades are unsupported. Upgrade in full and you won't experience much trouble outside of software that's fucked upstream.
>>
>>57047191
>>try using computer
>>have to google because the KEYBOARD doesn't work
>Arch
Fixed that post for you
>>
>>57045162
its all subjective opie
I've been using arch for 2 years now and I've never got trouble.
>>
>>57045162
Check to see what usb you're running. USB3 vs USB2. In the windows recovery console it only has drivers for USB2 so all your USB three ports are down as a result. Could be a similar problem since the recovery console is a live OS of sorts and only such and such drivers. You may need to install the drivers for your particular hubs.
>>
>>57046199
I know this was 4 fucking hours ago but use yaourt. Saves a ton of headaches when working with AUR packages.
>>
File: iaurt.png (702KB, 898x992px) Image search: [Google]
iaurt.png
702KB, 898x992px
>>57049819
>>
>>57045461
i'm literally retarded and arch just werks for me. never had a probelm
>>
>>57050150
I remember on my first installation of Arch I had some issues with certain keyboard shortcuts not being detected (fn + F10-12 for volume levels not working). But, on my second attempt at installing it worked like a charm and has for about a 2 months.
>>
>>57050150

OP here

To every edgy faggot here: it's already a known issue with lightdm + Gnome 3.22

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5164/keyboard-input-doesn-t-work-on-lightdm-after-gnome-3-22-update
>>
>>57045162
I dont get why everyone cant just use the tty to log in. What do you need a bloated log in screen for?
>>
>>57045162
Fuck off shill.
>>
>>57050479

my god you people are retarded: it'a already a known issue you moron

>>57050294
>https://forum.antergos.com/topic/5164/keyboard-input-doesn-t-work-on-lightdm-after-gnome-3-22-update
>>
>>57050464
Because they want Arch to be Ubuntu. They want Ubuntu, Mac, or Windows.
>>
>>57050508
>my god you people are retarded: it'a already a known issue you moron

Obviously you're the retard if you can't make Arch work.
>>
>install windows
>it just werks
>zero problems except pajeet can peek at your waifu folder
>>
>>57045553
slackware is appealing but the idea that you're supposed to install *all* of the packages and have them sit on your system is irritating
>>
So? That is the point of Arch... Getting exotic errors that nobody has seen before so you can enjoy troubleshooting your OS.
>>
>>57050557

why don't they make it broken from the beginning then

>>57050521

>devs break the system
>users are retarted
>>
>>57050557

this is what arch users actually think
>>
>>57050602

"Relying on complex tools to manage and build your system is going to hurt the end users. [...] "If you try to hide the complexity of the system, you'll end up with a more complex system". Layers of abstraction that serve to hide internals are never a good thing. Instead, the internals should be designed in a way such that they NEED no hiding."
—Aaron Griffin
>>
File: Open-source_hardware.png (319KB, 1095x675px) Image search: [Google]
Open-source_hardware.png
319KB, 1095x675px
>>57050508
>>57050577
>>57050602
The root of the problem is that greedy joos who run tech companies whose value is simply to make money- they inhibit open source development through proprietary, obfuscated products that implement planned obsolescence as a business practice. The open source movement will rise to great heights against closed source proprietary software/hardware with OPEN SOURCE HARDWARE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware
>>
>>57046617
>either you fucked up or your system fucked up
Well, aren't you a bright one?
>>
>>57045313
>i'm a linux sys admin, I know what the fuck I'm doing
Tech support != sysadmin
>>
>>57046296
That's why it a waste of time.
>>
>>57050546
Why? Disk space is cheap these day, right?
>>
>>57050577
>why don't they make it broken from the beginning then

It was broken by design already.
>>
>>57050666
It's BS, if everyone has this same attitude, we would still programming with 01010101010100110 now.
>>
File: archuser.png (208KB, 800x891px) Image search: [Google]
archuser.png
208KB, 800x891px
J U S T
>>
BSD doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>57053596
Of course, how can anyone has a problem with BSD when no one is using it?
>>
>>57050666
...so why does Arch use systemd then?

Arch is incredibly complex and has one little pinky toe in the pool of the "Unix philosophy."

Just because do you don't boot directly into X doesn't mean you're suddenly minimal.
>>
>>57053594
Wtf does reddit have to do with it...I hate memes.
>>
>>57053720
>I hate memes.
they're called macros you newfag
>>
>>57053735
>implying
>demonizing anything you don't like by saying it's a reddit thing
>newfag
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.