[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any UNIX engineers/sysadmins here? Probably no one will remember

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: Banni%25C3%25A8re-Unix-linux[1].jpg (188KB, 960x370px) Image search: [Google]
Banni%25C3%25A8re-Unix-linux[1].jpg
188KB, 960x370px
Any UNIX engineers/sysadmins here?

Probably no one will remember but about 3 weeks - month a go i posted a thread asking what should i learn for UNIX interview as i was absolute beginner. Then i went to an interview. And they hired me, just got a call with an offer. I will be a UNIX engineer in large UK bank.

Pretty excited. So, maybe someone could share some tips how to start my career smoothly? Currently i am trying to learn as much as possible and going through LFCSA courses.
>>
>>57042633
Well, hopefully you know UNIX is just a half-ass 90's term for [current year] linux. where I work all linux sys admins do is mainly puppet stuff. for a bank, you should expect to work with sec a lot. Also you're going to start hating email
>>
>>57042660
Yea they told me i will start with securities and user accounts. What about email?
>>
bamp
>>
>>57042674
you're going to have to respond to a lot of emails lol
>>
>>57042633
>month a go i posted a thread asking what should i learn for UNIX interview as i was absolute beginner
Just curious. What did the anons advised you and how useful was it?
>>
>>57042794
not a problem, i had some experience in service desk and my job role was mainly responding to emails.
>>
>>57042894
well cant remember exactly but main points were:

Grep and sed your ways through logs, SSH and then someone posted image of most useful UNIX commands in one picture which i revised one more time minutes before going in and it helped a lot. But basically i just watched some tutorials on youtube how to do basic stuff in UNIX. couldnt quite believe they hired me but shit happens i guess
>>
>>57042936
if they don't already, ask them about ELK stack. Logstash is a lot better than doing all that. But you'll be fine if service desk didn't scare you lol
>>
>>57042986
thanks. will look into it
>>
>>57042986
>But you'll be fine if service desk didn't scare you lol
This. Corporate IT is going to be a walk in the park after any kind of call-centre service desk.

You probably won't be playing games on company time much (maybe a little FTL between tasks?) but it should be much comfier than call-centre work. And now you're basically just the level 2 support instead of level 1.

You probably don't even have to directly deal with users.
>>
How much Will you earn?
>>
>>57043082
900€/month
>>
>>57043161
That's not much, is that parttime?
>>
>>57043202
No. Its very much decent salary where i live
>>
>>57043314
In the uk?
>>
>>57043328
Eastern europe
>>
>>57043332
Oh okay
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.