[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

programmer of 30 years ask me anything about starting programming.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Ambiguousism 5.jpg (347KB, 1584x2742px) Image search: [Google]
Ambiguousism 5.jpg
347KB, 1584x2742px
programmer of 30 years ask me anything about starting programming.
>Best language to start with(easy mode)
HTML CSS and basic JS
>Best language to start with (normal mode)
Python and/or Ruby
>Best langauge to start with (hard mode)
C++ and C
Shit languages( avoid and dont listen to anyone who recommends)
>Lisp
>Assembly(terrible for beginners)
>Perl(outdated as fuck
>Any languages kept for legacy purposes( e.g used for toasters or some shit)

>Tips
Avoid code academy

Avoid IDEs if you can

Practice every day(this is key)

Dont focus on the languages so much as programming is a skill and languages are a tool

Don't forget about your posture

Code stuff you love
>>
>>57041933
>avoid ide
>never work for an enterprise
Ok
>>
>>57041933
we know you're 19 and only know how to fizzbuzz m8
stop the act
>>
Can you touch your bellybutton with the tip of your erect penis while standing up straight?
>>
>>57041933
actual developer here

learn SQL
>>
>>57041939
While learning
>>
I'm getting into programming via learning C first. How screwed am I?
>>
>>57041983
you'll do fine
>>
>>57041983
If you learn C++ after it will confuse you alot for a bit. But you should be fine.
>>
Learned C , C++ as my first language and it was completely useless in the job industry.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161012-072420.png (106KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161012-072420.png
106KB, 720x1280px
>>57041990
>>57041991
Thanks for the (You)s, by the way.
>>
>>57041933
Your advice is only valid for someone who is gonna end up doing wed developing which is of course a very limited and undereducated view of programming.
>>
>>57041983
it's easy, I honestly don't know why all these babies keep spouting shit that it's too hard
>b-but I gotta free memory manually!!
>>
>>57041983
C is the foundation of everything so if you master it you're the literal opposite of screwed.
>>
>>57042050
And how one would know of one mastered C?

I keep seeing bullshit like this on the /g/:
>I know C
>You don't
>>
>>57042117
You could try to gauge it through "practical" tests:
"Solve 2+2 and print the result."
"Find a random number from a pool of 5, and multiply it by 3."
"Write muh next gen gaymen."

t. brainlet
>>
>>57042168
uhhh
The range looks really bullshit.
>>
>>57042117
IMHO if you feel like someone can throw an arbitrary task at you and you already have some ideas about how you would express the solution in C then you've pretty much mastered it.

Here's a simple enough test: take some data structure, algorithmic routine or concept from a "high" level language, could be anything, a hashmap, some kind of dank mathematic procedure someone would just throw in their code using
data = fn(data, data, ...)
or
object.method(data,...)
and try to pull it off in pure C. Try to go generic, functional, logical, object oriented etc. Find out where the low level dirt and grit starts to really hurt and the demons are overpowering you. Fight them! Cast them out, go through all the tiers of hell and arise as übermän.
>>
>>57042222
t. no time to come up with them because shitposting from the workplace
>>
>>57042249
I hope you are implying "Write muh next gen gaymen" isn't bullshit not.
>>
>>57042237
you can literally emulate oop in C but why would you?
>>
what a shitty thread, weak bait
>>
>>57042369
sometimes people do things just because they can, or because some wise ass oop faggot says it can't be done
>>
>>57041983
C is a simple language, it has a small number of keywords to remember.
A lot of programming languages are c-style so you can easily learn a new language.
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/135544/why-are-several-popular-programming-languages-influenced-by-c
>>
>>57041933
>Perl(outdated as fuck
Lol, did you actually see any Perl recently? It isn't any less modern than Python/Ruby/C++11 and that's only Perl 5. Perl 6 is actually lightyears ahead pretty much everything else.
>>
Is math really needed to learn programming?
>>
>>57043654
Advanced math is only really needed in some cases, but you should probably learn it anyway.
>>
>>57041933
>Avoid code academy

Why?
>>
>>57041933
Lol c++ was the first language they taught me in college, but I dropped out so it doesn't really matter. Good thing I guess they were going hard on us.
>>
>>57043703
The thing I hate is I'll probably get kicked out of my CS program because I'm not good at math even though I really understand programming, code, computer stuff in general and get really good grades in that.
>>
>Avoid code academy

are there other options, and which are good?
>>
>>57042168
I think you mean create abstractions as processes.

What kind of things can a table do? I mean a regular table, like made out of wood. It can hold up to a certain amount of weight. It can act as a base for more platforms. It can stub your toe. Significant things happening and the factors in their occurrence are what you want to hold in abstraction.

If you make fizzbuzz and wonder why you can't hack the human psyche you're limiting yourself to coding tasks and don't yet grok what a programmer actually does. If you don't mind just coding, as a child wouldn't, then just create huge variable placement tables, collect them and organize them manually. Then as you mature in your coding, you could possibly come to create more relationships between the variables and their values, which will allow you to synthesize systems to be used for collating the info into a more categorical and lexical processing system for use in greater solutions.
>>
>>57041933
>recommends python and Ruby
>stay away from C languages they're difficult and shit
Confirmed bait
>>
>>57042369
Please google ANSI C

Not the book, the language.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.