[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is there any advantage in using m.2 over sata? also; what's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

is there any advantage in using m.2 over sata?

also; what's /g/'s preferred method of storage?
>>
>>57040689

m.2 is just a form factor. Doesn't say shit about the protocol used.
>>
Yes, m.2 is fast as balls

>muh thermal throttling

Just get a couple RAM heatsinks; I agree you shouldn't have to on such premium priced storage, but hey, at least the 950 Pro doesn't emit smoke on heavy loads [:^)]
>>
>>57040880
is the 950 pro the best reasonably priced m2 on the market right now?
>>
>>57040880
>Heatsinks
>Not water cooling
>>
>>57040689
>is there any advantage in using m.2 over sata?
Yes, it is a lot faster.
>>
m.2 is fast and a great use of space for inbetween expansion slots like PCIE.
>>
Dear god people..

M.2 is a socket. M.2 supports both SATA and NVME (the fast one) along with some other signalling.

So yeah, NVME M.2 drives can be blisteringly fast. If you already have an SSD, I wouldn't recommend the upgrade unless you have money to burn.
>>
does anyone have any info on OP's pic?

Seems like a pretty good deal (compared to other m2's), is kingston any good?
>>
>>57041095

>m.2 faster than SATA
>it IS an SATA connection

You're thinking NVMe which is a different physical connector and a totally different form factor as well.

m.2 is an offshoot of SATA technology designed for smaller devices but limited to SATA speeds so nothing faster than about 550MB/s.

NVMe is based off PCI-Express technology and can hit upwards of 2.8GB/s speeds.

LEARN THE DIFFERENCE YOU MORONS
>>
>>57041209
You sir, are fucking retarded..
>>
>>57040689
Grate for laptops and shit, i'm also liking all those tiny mini pc's that take advantage of this.
>>
>>57040689
yeah OP named dropped the m2 socket without mentioning the the NVME protocol which makes its fast

OP confirmed as NOOB
>>
>>57041209
m.2 is just an expansion card spec, it can use PCIe, USB and SATA buses.
You can have m.2 GPS receivers for example.

I think m.2 is a piss poor job, not only do you have different support on hosts, indicated by keying, you have different sizes for width and length. It's a fucking huge compatibility matrix for expansion cards. Plus a lot of the keying/features supported is reserved for future use, so the pool will grow in size even more.
>>
Dont bother going past a ssd unless you do video work. Its been shown to only really get up to speed on large files. For lots of small files its faster but not by nearly as much.
>>
>>57040689
NVME doesn't have too much advantage over AHCI for consumer use.
My preferred storage is AHCI in an m.2. package due to low cost per gigabyte and small size, like the new Crucial MX300 m.2.
>>
>>57041605
This is pretty much true.

I've got a 950 pro, not worth the upgrade from a SATA SSD desu.
>>
Faster speed.

Personally I'd rather see 5-10TB SATA SSD than 1-2 TB m.2
>>
File: samsung-850-pro-angle-2.png (475KB, 1125x750px) Image search: [Google]
samsung-850-pro-angle-2.png
475KB, 1125x750px
So am I better off going with a 850 pro as opposed to OP pic?
>>
>>57041862
I'd just buy the cheapest SSD.
>>
>>57041209
You are confusing m.2 with mSata. mSata is SATA only, m.2 can use PCIe/NVMe and it is a lot faster.
>>
>>57040689
> any advantage

One does read / write in the 560 / 520 range thees days, the other does read / write in the 2000 / 1500 range these days.

Was that so difficult?
>>
File: baby-grinning.gif (30KB, 170x256px) Image search: [Google]
baby-grinning.gif
30KB, 170x256px
>>57040880
>Duxujchdwjjdkrkk ckcprffffftffffftpr prprprpprpprfftebaruswkxkmcdisfkv
>>
>>57040689
>m.2 over sata
come again?
>>
>>57041862
>he fell for the SSD meme
>>
There's really no perceivable difference.
>>
>>57040689
>is there any advantage in using m.2 over sata?
no.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns
>>
File: autism speaks.jpg (12KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
autism speaks.jpg
12KB, 400x400px
>>57041209
>>
>>57043449
weak, you got told by the dude
>>
File: 1459428184075.jpg (21KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1459428184075.jpg
21KB, 360x240px
>>57043459
>you
>>
>>57041209
Please kill yourself at the earliest available convenience.
>>
>>57042521
kek
>>
>>57040880
>he doesn't know the difference between mSATA and mPCIE
>>
>>57040689
Almost nobody on a laptop of workstation will be able to feel any difference between SATA and NVMe flash drives, since isolated non-benchmark tasks will generally be bottlenecked by a CPU trying to handle data and not even by SATA3 throughput limits.

NVMe is designed for enterprise where you have dozens if not hundreds of active threads wanting to asynchronous request and receive data, and a drive needs to be able to juggle large numbers of independent outstanding requests.
>>
>>57040689
it looks better on the motherboard instead of having sata cables string out of the side of the board and then psu sata cables coming from a hole in the case out to feed into the sata drive.
Maybe some latency but that seriously is not an issue, its literally audiofag level retardation to thing your sata cables are the probelm
>>
>>57040689
>also; what's /g/'s preferred method of storage?
>>
>>57040689
just use sata, for any person use computer you well never reap any tangible benefits
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.