[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be a self-taught programmer >read a lot of books >send

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: chubbette.jpg (61KB, 434x773px) Image search: [Google]
chubbette.jpg
61KB, 434x773px
>be a self-taught programmer
>read a lot of books
>send in resume
>get passed on because I don't have a degree
>go for an interview
>"I don't think you are technical enough"
>try to freelance
>get undercut by indians
>minimum 3 years experience

What do? I really thought this was going to change my life, all that time stacking shelves and self-studying, in the end im just another trash in the eyes of the hiring guys.
>>
>>57039920
>>get passed on because I don't have a degree
Back to the books, friendo
>>
>>57039920
You drank the kook aid
>>
>>57039920
What kind of projects did you have in your portfolio?
>>
>>57040005
Anime file sorter
>>
>>57039920
Join an open source project, make connections and take it from there. The jobs will come.

As a freelancer, try to stay way from overly cynical, grumpy, exploitative developers/project managers who half-ass manage projects while you do all the work for them. They will burn you out. Look for positive, passionate, pro-active people. You want to have pleasure while working. You want to work WITH somebody, not FOR somebody.
>>
>>57039920
>>57039936
>trying to learn shit with books
Get some actual experience, do projects alone, in a team and stuff... Work for less than you'd want so you can at least get some money and especially experience. Knowing what fuckups WILL happen in projects is a thousand times more valuable than knowing every nuance of all languages in the world
>>
>>57040005

I have a blog, a chan, a khan academy style website.

It's not a lot but I was hoping for an entry-level position.
>>
>>57040009
I think this might be why you didn't get the job
>>
>>57039920
The key is to display some impressive or at least semi-impressive work of yours. Take a month or two out of your life to develop a product if you have none. Maybe it'll even become a money maker on the side in the future? I'm sure this is the only route to take though. If you can't show them a diploma you have to show them something else.
>>
>>57040030
At the very least start a github repo with some projects. Try and get some real world projects too.
>>
>>57039920
You want to work on some large projects. Make one up for yourself, pick a proper engineering method, like Waterfall, V, or some sort of iterative method, can't really do agile on your own, do real requirements capture, real planning in UMLel, write and test it, etc, according to the method chosen. Produce a full write up at the end.
Do that a few times.
>Lol I can program
doesn't mean shit
>>
Pretty easy solution.

Just say you have a degree.
>>
>>57040030
What kind of job were you going for? Web dev?

Also,
https://github.com/jwasham/google-interview-university
>>
>>57040076
>Try and get some real world projects too.

but how. nobody is hiring...

>At the very least start a github repo with some projects

I got one with all of my projects but HR didnt seem impressed
>>
>>57040158
>What kind of job were you going for? Web dev?

yes
>>
>>57040174
>but how. nobody is hiring...
Open source projects exist
>>
>>57040174
>but how. nobody is hiring...
You said you were undercut by pajeets. Well undercut the pajeets then. You have no reason for pride, because quite frankly, you're nothing. If you want to become something, swallow your pride and get work no matter what
>>
>be a self-taught programmer
>know C++, C#, PHP, JS, HTML, CSS, Python
>know how to use linux, all the tools needed for work and so on
>post myself on a substitute for craigslist
>guy calls me, get a job offer
>go to interview
>get job
>work for 4 months
>quit because of shitty treatment and pay
>be jobless for 2 months
>redo my advert
>get called again, get tested on code remotely
>job get
>2x the pay from the last job
>much better treatment
>better contract after trial period (currently)

And all that because I didn't want to go to college.
>>
File: 1476205717193.jpg (154KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1476205717193.jpg
154KB, 1500x1500px
>>57039920

Do you know how to program drivers OP?
>>
If you don't have a degree then your best chance is to work in smaller, open source projects. Basically if you don't have a degree, no serious company is actually going to consider you unless you have a lot of work experience in the field.
>>
>>57040030

those are terrible projects. you need to listen to >>57039936 and get more theory and maths involved.
>>
>>57040254

no :(

I just know web stuff and comp sci. i have cursory knowledge of c, embedded etc. but i wanted to do web stuff
>>
>>57040276

well everyone knows web stuff. you should teach yourself to make drivers, that's where the money is (and fun)
>>
>>57040243
What language should I learn first?

Alongside learning HTML&CSS, I was thinking python. But I don't want to be stunted when I move onto harder languages. Should I start with C first? Or can I learn python and transfer the skills over?
>>
File: 1455052914625.png (301KB, 1274x918px) Image search: [Google]
1455052914625.png
301KB, 1274x918px
>>57040243
>PHP
>>
>>57040178
Do a boot camp course, even if you know it all you'll have a certificate to prove it
>>
>>57040338

Bootcamp is just college-lite to me. it's a money for paper scheme I don't wanna throw my money away.
>>
>>57039920
You're falling for the "start at the (rock) bottom" freelancer meme.

Don't look for shit work where Indians are even a factor.

Find serious projects with enthusiastic developers, join and contribute to networks you're interested in, and be extremely selective about who you choose to work for. The minute you get a bad vibe or a client gives off warning signs, thank them politely for their time and cut cords. One good project pays for a thousand terrible ones.
>>
>>57040489

>Find serious projects with enthusiastic developers

Do you mean open source projects or paid ones?

Because my problem is I can't even get a pajeet-tier job.
>>
Create a portfolio on your website online with projects you developed and show off that to them
>>
Is Udemy coursers good for learning web development? Or should I stick with freecodecamp?
>>
>>57040311

Not OP, but tell me more about making drivers
>>
>>57040174

>I got one with all of my projects but HR didnt seem impressed

If your projects lack impact, ask your interviewing party why. I have a feeling you're a bad interviewee if you can't even find out specifics on how the interviewers felt about you. Anytime I've been "passed over" for a position after interviewing, I asked why. If they gave a vague response, I asked more. 9 times out of 10, it's because of a reason utterly unrelated to you and your talents. Nepotism, someone willing to work for cheaper, or someone more talented than you has applied and got it.
Also, projects should include normie-friendly documentation/demonstrations. If you're a database engineer, and a project of yours is a totally-technical tool that doesn't really do much for the end-user of the database, and is purely for debugging, provide some stats on how it improves somebody's job. "0:54 hours spent debugging the same database that traditionally takes >2 hours" or some shit like that. Your portfolio should should things you've accomplished. And state them explicitly if they're not demonstrable easily, so hiring committees don't have to spend 4 hours per applicant in the pre-interview phase reading code...
>>
>>57040466

That "money for paper" scheme is how life works, anon. Everything has a pre-requisite. And while it'd be fantastic to live in a world where people can be trusted and hired based on the merit their resume shows, that's not the world we live in. Recommendations, certifications, degrees, experience, those are what get you jobs.
>>
>>57040013
underrated post
/thread
>>
>>57040146
A lot of places need you to prove that you have a degree. If it was that easy to lie about it, everybody would do it.
>>
>>57039920
Anon hate to break it to you but people learn html and php in high school these days, at the very least do some things with c and java
>>
>send in resume
send more
and more
>>
>join as intern for 6 month anyfuckwhere
>land a junior job anyfuckwhere for year
>get normal job with good salary.
That was what I did. No education, self taught android automation engineer.
>>
>>57041088
you make automatic androids? I thought we were meant to be decades from that kind of thing?
>>
>>57039920
just show them what you actually programmed already, should be fine.

I work because I did this, showed a website grab translations from Wiki via cURL and HTML-Parsing.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.