[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are linux users such smug self-satisfied knobs? >As

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Why are linux users such smug self-satisfied knobs?

>As I tried out distributions, I didn't find the one that fits me best. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, and so I concluded that I would create my own distribution. By then I was comfy with aptitude and apt-get, and other terminal commands like ls, wget, cd, and many others. So, I did what every guru does and learned how to use Bash and make scripts.

>With my Bash skills in hand and the vast Internet for guidance, I used a great program called Ubuntu-Builder that set up everything and dropped it into a chrooted environment. Using my scripting-fu, I set out to create Sol-OS.

https://opensource.com/life/16/10/a-linux-journey
>>
I honestly don't get linux shills.

I've been using linux since 2007ish. Keep trying it every year or so.
If you want to do any decent modifications on Linux prepare to have a new fucking part-time job.

Will never forget the clusterfuck that was getting my usb wifi to work. Took maybe 12 terminal commands and multiple system file edits.

Linux desktop is only good if you don't change ANYTHING, or have enough time and patience to fix shit and make it cozy.

Still love having it in my VM so I can do bash and shit, even within windows. PCI passthrough GPU too. Cozy.
>>
I used linux on THinkpad until the BIOS got rooted by an OTA update. Then I realized that nothing is secure and I gave up caring about computers.
>>
>>57038750
I don't get Apple shills, and I never had any problems with Linux. What's your point exactly?
>>
>>57038793
My point is if you want to make it cozy prepare for shit to break and taking time to fix it.

On windows 10 I literally download classic shell, tiny wall, disable telemetry. All in less than 5 minutes.
cozy already, never had any problems.

Linux is great, but if you get tired of fixing/tweaking shit it's a nuisance. Just CBA to do it anymore natively.
my third monitor always has my linux vm up, don't need to make it cozy or fix shit because of snapshots and a safety net.

>I don't get Apple shills
Nobody does. I have an apple cert and still can't fucking stand that garbage o/s. It's like the worst of linux combined with bloat. Opening iTunes tells the whole story.
>>
>>57038766
>mfw I have thinkpad

tell me what happened. what thinkpad do you have
>>
>>57038750
I almost exclusively use linux on my main machine, but I get what you mean. Today I've spent about 3h fixing a problem. An update introduced switching virtual consoles with alt+left/right, fucking pain in the ass as I used those frequently after alt+tab. Moreso that if you use a graphic card to render stuff switching VT will mess that up showing epileptic artifacting and texture mismatch. Turns out that was a keybind below xorg so 99% of searches for problem didn't match and no GUI tools or even CLI for this shit. Had to read some obscure blog where a guy figured it out.
Having a mobo with alc1150 sound chip and Z170 chipset with iommu on was a fucking nightmare to fix, looking through 10 different sources and different bugs that coexisted. And I still don't know if I fixed it because I haven't reboot since.
On the other hand programming is a major step up and on windows there was much more shit to manage.
>>
>>57038930
anon that's the beauty of cygwin. it's not perfect though, good enough for 90% of programming.

Linux desktop is a fucking joke, but it's getting better. Literally only good for grannies or heavy programmers/autists atm. No in-between.
>>
>>57038722
Why are Apple users only homosexuals and cucks??
Why are Windows users so fucking retarded?
These some of the many mysteries of the universe.
>>
File: 1457496015229.png (175KB, 486x370px) Image search: [Google]
1457496015229.png
175KB, 486x370px
>>57038722
>>57038750
>>57038766
>>57038793
>>57038833
>>57038930
>>57039023
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.