[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What video encoding method would you /g/entoomen personally choose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

What video encoding method would you /g/entoomen personally choose for archiving* purposes?

(*in my particular case, I mean turning the raw uncut video into reasonably sized yet still great quality form, for future editing)

Lossless? What codec: Huffyuv? h.264's lossless setting? Something else?

Lossy? How lossy is acceptable for you?
At what bitrate would you consider the video visually indistinguishable from the source, encoded with <your codec of choice>?

Scenefags tend to use <10k bitrate for h.264, if I'm not mistaken. But I imagine a proper 1080p@60fps video (that's not cropped almost to half vertically) would require considerably higher values.

Haven't found an in-depth video encoding guide for this on the /g/ wiki. (That webm guide looks neat though, will mess around with it sometime.)
If my questions seem retarded, that's probably because I don't have a deep enough understanding of the whole encoding process. Yeah.
>>
>>57037892

It depends man. How about you just describe your exact scenario?

if you can afford the space you'd be dumb to not just dump the file and put it somewhere safe. But if you're pressed for space, H265 or VP9 is the way to go. Almost all of the new chipsets going forward will have hardware decoding for them-- from your Laptop to a Chromebook to cell phones.

Just be prepared to spend a lot of time encoding.
>>
>>57037946
>describe your exact scenario
Various 1080p@60fps recordings eating up terabytes of space currently, aiming to convert it all into a form that doesn't hog ~1GB for every sec of video...

>if you're pressed for space, H265 or VP9 is the way to go
Haven't looked into those yet, I wonder if Avidemux and/or FFmpeg can handle them.

>Just be prepared to spend a lot of time encoding.
Not really a problem, I guess.

Just curious how /g/ prefers to do proper video encoding of this sort.
>>
>>57038077
I usually throw terabytes through the nvenc extension on FFMPEG to do h.265. Hardware encoding is a significant quality loss, but the space savings are amazing. A slight blurriness is worth 70% space savings imo.
>>
>>57038077
Forgot to mention, most of it is recorded using h.264 with qp=0 setting, the reason for the huge files.
>>
>>57038118
Significant quality loss is what I'm trying to avoid mainly. I'd like the videos to stay at near raw quality level, so that I couldn't easily tell the difference.

I'll have to find out how much the available lossless codecs reduce file size, or how high bitrate is needed for lossy codecs to achieve similar results.
>>
>>57037892
Generally all video is already compressed. Leave it in whatever format it was created.
>>
>>57037892
Just save everything as a mjpeg
>>
>>57038226
Sure, but re-encoding it with a lossless codec means that the quality won't change, but the file size may get reduced by a lot.
That's kind of the idea behind lossless codecs, isn't it? Decoding something that was encoded losslessly will give the same result mathematically as the original encoding.
>>
>>57038285
He already has it saved in h.264 lossless quality. MJPEG is absolute dogshit when not using lossless compression.
>>
>>57038317
It depends. If you're going from lossless to lossless, yes. If you're going from lossy to lossless, it's just going to increase file size and quality will still be the same.
>>
>>57037892
.avi
>>
Thanks guys, I'll experiment around with both lossless and lossy codecs (at different bitrates) and compare the results. It really depends on the original video what works best.

I'll look into H.265 and VP9 too, and probably others I haven't yet heard of.
(MJPEG sounds interesting too, even if not suited for this task.)

I also have to take into consideration which codecs are going to be well supported in the future.
The encodes might end up sitting unused for many years.

Or I might really just dump it all on some cloud storage as it is. Probably not.
>>
I think lossless H264 do not save HDR information
But future monitors will be HDR
Compress it with WinRAR and add restore information
>>
>>57037892
I'd recommend VP9.

It's a shame that VP10's development halted, but at least its making its way to the first AOMedia codec that'll be released next year.
>>
thanks YIFI A10/V10
>>
I have hundreds of DVDs that are MPEG2 remuxed to mkv, should I keep them as is or is there a different lossless format I can convert them to?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.