[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi g, I'd like to purchase a Netbook, most likely a used

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1015e_00.jpg (89KB, 524x450px) Image search: [Google]
1015e_00.jpg
89KB, 524x450px
Hi g,
I'd like to purchase a Netbook, most likely a used one, for general browsing/text editor. Basically what they are meant for, eventually goofing around with Linux and what not.
I'd like a 10 inch display and I don't want to go north of 100 €, used.

Any suggestion is welcomed! Any brand/model/CPU or platform to look for? Thanks.
>>
>>57035626

Well first off, don't get a zenbook they're garbage
>>
>>57035626
The 'notebook' nomenclature isn't really in use anymore. You have chromebooks, and you have the cheap windows curiosities that have been brought out as a response to chromebooks but windows struggles on the budget hardware. Best to get a chromebook and install linux using crouton. You can't really do it on one of the windows 'cloudbooks'(or whatever they are calling them) because of the type of storage they use and in some cases the x32 cpu instruction set.
>>
>>57035673
*netbook not notebook obv
>>
Acer Aspire switch 10
>>
>>57035673
>use linux but by a chromebook anyway
Feels shilly in here.
>>
>>57035626
Buy an ideapad 100s brand new, it shouldn't be expensive. I saw it for 200 aud here a few months ago
>>
OP here,
Thanks for these suggestions. A Chromebook seems nice enough but what platform are they? ARM?

Will look to your advice's now in the meanwhile.
>>
X205TA. Amazing battery life, lightweight, under $150 USD. Refurbished units are under $100. 12 - 15 hour on screen life easily.
>>
>>57035879
If you're getting a Chromebook for Linux make sure it's not ARM. ARM Chromebooks have no hardware acceleration support in Linux.
>>
>>57035923
This seems a nice piece but I can get it here around 120€ shipped from something like Craig list (so private exchange). Nice one tho.
>>
>>57036080

well bud there ain't much more than that. You're already in low-tier performance cpu's how cheap do you expect it to be?
>>
Well man, to put it straight I've never put my interest in those devices. So I don't even know what can be purchased for that price range I've chosen.
Actually the only thing I know about Netbooks is that they are an half meme tech so I'd hunt for some buyer's remorse items... And that's why I asked some ideas here, you seem pretty competent in laptops/mobile systems
>>
File: P_20161011_190800_HDR.jpg (667KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
P_20161011_190800_HDR.jpg
667KB, 2560x1920px
>>57035626
I'm currently using an Acer Cloudbook 11. It has Lubuntu installed and it runs very well, it boots in 12 seconds. It's pretty comfy.
>>
Just don't get one with AMD stuff and you're okay.
>>
>>57036380
I do think that they are almost impossible to find anyway
>>
>>57035951
Err? The x11 driver is accelerated, and I think most of them have passable 3d acceleration as well. Maybe shitty flash video and certain browser plugins aren't accelerated?

I put Ubuntu on an arm based Samsung Chromebook a few years back when testing it. Got almost identical scores in the webgl benchmarks in chrome-os and Ubuntu.
>>
>>57035626
Toshiba nb505. Fits all your criteria, had it for years and still works great even though I got it used.
>>
>>57035632
I second this guy's statement
>>
I've had an MSI Wind U100 since it was released years ago and it is still going strong. It can even play 720p h264 video almost effortlessly.
I really like this netbook because it's easy to upgrade stuff and it has an overclock button for when you're not on battery. Also it's solid as fuck. You can probably find one for 20$ or less.
>>
>>57039433
How are the hinges? I have one, but both hinges broke and I stuffed it in a drawer somewhere. Then I bought >>57036241
>>
Really, just get a Dell Mini 10 with an Atom N450, or if you wanna spend a little more, a Dell Latitude 2120 with an Atom 550. These can be found for around 35 to 70. They are built pretty well, I've owned both, and the Mini 10 is my "take everywhere" pc. Runs Lubuntu like a dream and I was lucky enough to get one with the Crystal HD Video decoder.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.