[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is typically the safest and smartest pick for tech industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Metzen.jpg (36KB, 300x339px) Image search: [Google]
Metzen.jpg
36KB, 300x339px
What is typically the safest and smartest pick for tech industry if you're applying solely off your portfolio and have no relevant degree?

I don't plan to make six figures or anything ridiculous, just wondering what kind of tech jobs a guy like me can get? $40-50k out of reach?
>>
Service tech
>>
Webdev, preferably with experience in some meme language or framework
>>
>>57021363
>$40-50k out of reach?

Just go work in Costco for a few years and get this plus pension and benefits.

High school diploma preferred.
>>
>>57021443
costco has zero job security
>>
>>57021363
>What is typically the safest and smartest pick for tech industry if you're applying solely off your portfolio and have no relevant degree?

Pick something that's in heavy demand or has high growth. You could get $40-50k easily.
>>
>>57021475
indeed...the ongoing expansion indicates they're about to go bust...

better off at Jimbob's PC Repair Inc
>>
>>57021499
And when OP get's fired for being a retard... what does he do then?
>>
>>57021537
preferably doesn't get a job in IT I guess
>>
>>57021424

How are webdev work hours typically?
>>
What have you made and what's your iq
>>
>>57021363
For entry-level employment w/o a degree it's a toss-up. You can impress your way into damn near anything with a good enough portfolio and github contribs to open source, but there's no telling how receptive any given company is going to be from day to day or how long it will take you to cross the magic line from precocious amateur to potential professional.

The easy way in is to learn HTML, CSS, and basic JS, then build a CRUD landing page with Bootstrap and start panhandling until someone picks you up for a menial front-end code-jockey gig. It's almost certainly not going to pay well but you'll have resume material and hopefully enough spare time to work on your backend skills where you can find better money.

The harder way in, but potentially more lucrative in the long-run, is to build proficiency with something lower level and get heavily involved in an open source project. Companies love to snipe top quality contributors to sizable projects and pay little attention to what their qualifications are academically. Pay here would be six figures easily.

Somewhere in between that are the legions of Java and C# .NET devs, most of who are college educated but extremely bad at their job. It's probably simple enough to get an interview with a big-box java outfit if you can hack together a simple Android app but with the Visa holder competition you're not guaranteed a lot of leeway. The payscale is definitely over $40k though.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.