[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, in popular culture, we often see hacking misrepresented,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: 11_hacker_games_thumb555.jpg (36KB, 555x418px) Image search: [Google]
11_hacker_games_thumb555.jpg
36KB, 555x418px
So, in popular culture, we often see hacking misrepresented, frequently, especially in TV shows, but often in movies and video games as well.

How would you represent "hacking" in a video game, instead of just solving some visual puzzle for a password, or rolling a skill check and seeing some kind of terminal shit?
>>
>>57019670
What you're describing sounds more like cracking to me.
>>
There isn't any way to represent it with an active component in a videogame. Skill check and hand waving is literally the only thing that is even remotely realistic because "hacking" in most cases involves exploiting vulnerabilities, social engineering and phishing, direct access exploitation, etc.

Actually trying to design a game's hacking minigame on something like SQL injection would be extremely boring. Rolling a 20 sided die and saying "your character gains access to the system by exploiting a little known zero day" is much better.
>>
File: rare dubs man.png (3MB, 8000x8000px) Image search: [Google]
rare dubs man.png
3MB, 8000x8000px
>>57019693
>/g/ - Semantics
>>
>>57019670

I don't see the point of making hacking into a game

If you have a computer why don't you actually do it
>>
I had to take my time to try and remember the game of "Robot Odyssey". That's more in tune with what hacking is/was about.

>>57019745
Oh behave yourself lol.
>>
>>57019670
You're talking about cracking. And as far as accurate representation, it would be a whole lot of either clicking because you're using a premade tool, (Cain&Able, aircrack, etc) and then waiting for it to work or fail.

Or a lot of programming/saving the home brew script or program, then using it. The whole typing sanic fast makes me 1337 is garbage unless of course you're writing your program or script that fast. Password cracking usually relies on social manipulation or outright dictionary based attacks. The TV show wouldn't be interesting at all to watch if it was some sweaty neck beard staring at a brute force program running through its paces for 10 hours.

The only crack I've seen that is even moderately interesting for a non security or IT person to watch is a mix of social and script work. I.e. drop a USB with a hidden script to run when plugged in by the employee entrance of a company. Human curiosity almost guarantees the person who finds it will plug it in. The cracker does whatever with that info from there.

Knowing security and tech like I do is why I can't watch shows like law and order, CSI, NCIS, etc. It's embarrassing how much tech jargon they throw around that makes absolutely zero sense.
>>
Find clues, and documentation and have important stuff highlighted with hacker vision.
Then it makes an objective checklist of info you need.
Like get john doe's number from company.
The exploits should be very logical yet simple.
Also basic sociology engineering like calling company and RNG if they give you the info with basic option speech options like sob story or angry or whatever
>>
While not accurate (you have programs to "break down" firewalls and decrypt files) Hacknet is by far the best representation of "hacking" in a vidya I've seen.
>>
>>57019670
the reason hacking is represented laughably badly in TV, movies, and video games is because real-life hacking is dull and takes a long time. It isn't entertaining.

Either it's just "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" (eg: scan a gorillion websites for a gorillion known vulnerabilities, try to automatically pwn those that come back as vulnerable) or it's a very slow, methodical process of recon, gaining entry, moving laterally, and exfiltrating data while remaining undetected.

The best it's been done in a game is probably Uplink, and that makes no pretensions about being realistic, it's just hacking-themed without worrying about the tedious way things work IRL.
>>
>>57019670
Popular culture misrepresents everything.
>>
>>57019767
>Or a lot of programming/saving the home brew script or program

so we google the problem in the game, shows top five results, you have to pick one to try

3 are bunk scripts, one works, one deletes system32, gameover, call microsoft support to continue
>>
>>57019847
Yes and no. Because of various reasons. Many times, the legitimate hack/crack tools you can find are uploaded as a zip file. Bundled along side nasty viruses and other malware to deter skids and those not well versed in how the game is played from getting themselves into trouble.

Even if you have the legit tool downloaded without a hitch, you're still dead in the water I'd you don't know enough about networks or security to feed the utility proper parameters.

This is assuming you're using a point and click tool. This doesn't even take into consideration the possibility of having to make a home made script on the fly. What if you're using the target machine? What if the machine's AV program blocks your utility? Can you properly emulate in your game having to make a script in language of players choice to inject itself directly into RAM at boot so it never touches the disk, thus bypassing AV?

It's a problem to make a hyper realistic hacker game. Because the game either assumes you know everything, leaves the player hanging, and makes the game unplayable to 99% of people, or the game fills in certain fields for the player automatically, making the whole hyper realistic section fall apart.
>>
>>57019754
Dude it could be so fun. Just imagine an open world 3D first person game, you can access computers to do hacking things but that's only 20% of the game. You're in a city and you want to hack people to discover their dirty secrets, you have to buy appropriate hardware and stuff to do so, like if you want to gain access to a large company you have to buy nice keyboards and inject them with your code, then send them to high people in that company like a disguised present for promoting a keyboards brand or whatever.
It would be a mix between hitman where you need to 'infiltrate' places, impersonating employee of some sort and plug your raspberry pi somewhere hidden to be able to fuck with lights in a building, and a game with moral choices where you can hack for the lulz or hack for justice, there will be no scenario but every npc has a complex story and everything is interconnected.
At the beginning you roll a character with various stats and standing, you can start rich bored neet with little knowledge but plenty of free time to learn or average poor cs drop out with a kid to feed and solid basic knowledge or a 12 yo genious hacker who is really good at hacking but has malus when it comes to talking to people and impersonating others (because he's 12 with a high pitch voice)
Like i see it it would be 20% programming (simplified ofc), 20% infiltration, 20% talking to people to convince them to do stuff and 60% sending pizzas.

Start now, and in 10 years it could be the best game ever.
>>
>>57019670
Hacknet:
A story-driven game where you discover cracking tools over time as the game/story progresses. The gameplay is essentially running programs through command line on different servers and performing tasks given to you (e.g. delete this file, steal this file, change this record). Always delete the logs.

Uplink:
You complete tasks that you select from the secret hacking forum. The gameplay is running programs from a gui and earning money to buy new software, hardware and increase rank to unlock better missions.

Hacker Experience:
A multiplayer game that offers a variety of things to do, you "hack" and get "hacked". You have hardware and software to upgrade and currency in money and bitcoin, all of which is subject to attack. The primary gameplay involveds running cracking programs with a click to gain entry to a server which is just a collection of types of software (cracker, firewall, email spam virus, fiction mining virus, etc...) of varying levels. You can delete or copy this software or install viruses onto the machine. Progression comes from gaining a list of servers running viruses that earn you money/bitcoin, this money can then be used to upgrade software or hardware.
>>
>>57020102
>>57019670
All of those games were enjoyable for one reason or another.

If I were to make a game about hacking it would probably be a tycoon game where you manage a "1337 hacker group", where you could acquire hardware and software to upgrade and continue to collect resources to grow as you take down major corporations. Just out of simplicity.

The game I would want to play would be a mixture between hacker experience and hacknet. Basically, it would be a multiplayer game where everyone was responsible for their own hardware that was subject to being hacked. Instead of using the click-based system like HE, it would be the command-line system in hacknet. There would be the ability to upgrade software and hardware and install viruses.

The ideal ultimate goal would be for someone to create a virtual internet with its own protocols between unique hosts running their own operating systems and programs and it actually gave the player the ability to write their own software to take advantage of real exploits.
>>
>>57020102
>uplink

This was pretty good, it was about halfway between real hacking and movie hacking. Just enough movie hacking for it not to be boring.

The best part was that the game gave you 'rules' but you weren't supposed to really follow them once you understood them, you're supposed to kind of break out of the job/pay/upgrade pipeline by hacking banks and stealing more money than was possibly doing jobs and then getting on with the story stuff.
>>
>>57020102
You seem to have decent ideas. What do you think about hackmud?
>>
>>57021639
Never tried it

I doubt you could be successful with a complex text-only game today
>>
>>57020061

i assume inject at boot without touching disk is firmware based
>>
You could make a game set post-exploitation. Like a digital escape the room. See which keys open what. Where useful information is stored etc
>>
Hey /b/ any games like these playable on Android?
There is uplink but probably not for lollipop, so I'm downloading the apk to try it out
>>
Post your email, if you want.
>>
>>57019670
In Fallout, they have a memory dump type thing that provides you with some possible passwords, and you're told how many letters you get right with each guess.

Not 100% accurate, but no game is. A hell of a lot closer to hacking than making water flow through tubes like in Bioshock.

>>57019847
>mobile game
>require permission for phone calls
>actually dial out to microsoft tech support
>>
Like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKmeltQSck
>>
>>57027228
[email protected]
>>
>>57019670
>How would you represent "hacking" in a video game

Dump the content of the terminal's RAM and let the player dig around for a password. Isn't this what Bethesda Fallout did?
>>
File: ckL1M.jpg (75KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
ckL1M.jpg
75KB, 800x450px
>>57027655
Bethesda Fallout did a word guessing game that has a very remote resemblance to what you described.
>>
>>57019670

you'd have to relativize and objectify data for coherence to synergize logically within elements of aspect in the game to have credence in producing results that are realistically representational
>>
>>57019670
They've tried it in a game called Uplink. It's a fucking shitty game bro. Fuck real hacking in games and movies!
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.