[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SHIT I have a career's fair tomorrow, I'm a freshman.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: company list.png (303KB, 1704x3028px) Image search: [Google]
company list.png
303KB, 1704x3028px
SHIT

I have a career's fair tomorrow, I'm a freshman. It's a "tech and finance" fair but most of the good companies are finance.

What should I
>name drop
>lie about
>talk about

to get an interview for a summer internship at a financial firm? What do financial firms like to see? I have actual working experience, but I have plenty of java projects I can talk about but I'm pretty sure they're not relevant to finance. General advice for tech fairs as well?

Also do you guys know any interesting shit any of the companies from pic related are doing that I can talk about to impress the people there?

Also, general IT career advice thread I guess

(pic related has the list of companies going)
>>
You don't get an internship after your fucking freshman year. Most get theirs after their junior year, then get a job with said company.
>>
>>57003610
I'm in the UK, our course is 3 years. People get internships in their second year. I'm as good as a second year when it comes to programming.
>>
>>57003625
Yeah but what do you have to show for it? You're supposed to hand the recruiters at the job fair your résumé, then if they like what they see they'll give you a call.
>>
>>57003646
I've been working on my resume for the last month or so. I have one bit of shitty IT experience but no professional experience other than that.

I have a lot of relatively high level personal projects though, I don't think my resume would look any different from a good second year student. I go to a top 5 uni in the UK as well, top 15 in the world. I think they might give me a shot. Hopefully.
>>
>>57003690
Well, give them your résumé and hope for the best. Good luck I suppose.
>>
Talk about Haskell so a company like Jane Street picks you up.
>>
Talk about your wife's son so a company like Google or Mozilla picks you up.
>>
>>57003592
>PwC
>EY
>Accenture
>Deloitte
>GT

I think the fiance people have it better
>>
>>57003874
Yeah. The only decent one there is IBM on the tech side.
>>
>>57003625
That's still irrelevant; companies hire interns so they can vet them for jobs. They stick you on a team of experienced engineers, you pair with them, and with any luck you're capable enough that by the end of the summer you can function as an actual member of the team. If so, they hire you after your graduation. If not, they politely tell you to fuck off.

With two years left of school, that's just too damn long to wait. Managers make staffing decisions a few months in advance of a project's starting; that fits in well with a last-summer-before-graduation internship because they have a few months to decide who all they're going to hire, a few months to do staffing shenanigans, and a few months to spare on interviews and whatnot.

Two years left of school, however, doesn't fit into that schedule. The only reason they'd hire you is if you come off looking like a goddamned genius and they want to play a long con.
>>
>>57003592
smoke meth to keep you focus. drink a pint of vodka to help you relax
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.