[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good language to teach someone who never programmed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: 16584651654.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
16584651654.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
What's a good language to teach someone who never programmed in life?
I'm going to give him C, how am I going to fuck up his life?
>>
>>56999872
C is actually a good beginner language
>>
Yup C is great to begin programming
>>
>>56999872
Blocky.
>>
C is good as a second language. Pick something incredibly easy like Python or Java for the first language. The first language doesn't have to be a good language, but an easy language.
>>
>>56999872
Qbasic masterrace here
>>
>>56999999
nice
>>
>>56999872
python or pascal I say
>in b4 pascal is long dead
yeah, but it's still good for teaching, and once you grasp the basics of programming, switching to another language isn't hard.
>>
>>56999999
Nice
>>
File: 1226897615339.jpg (31KB, 500x360px) Image search: [Google]
1226897615339.jpg
31KB, 500x360px
>>56999999
wasted
>>
>>56999999
>>57000000

what a day
>>
>>56999872
C is a great first language. The sooner he can get the hang of memory management, the better.

I wouldnt recommend any language that has garbage collection as a first, the guy has to understand and be fully responsible of memory management if he wants a future in the programming industry.
>>
File: bob.jpg (17KB, 345x350px) Image search: [Google]
bob.jpg
17KB, 345x350px
>>56999999
checked
>>
>>56999999
Blocky confirmed!
>>
>>56999999
Oh shit
>>
What's a good language to learn by yourself if you've never programmed before? One that is practical as well
>>
Python and then C is the perfect way to learn.
>>
>>57000221

Brainfuck.
>>
The bottom up approach is best. I would say start him on assembly.
>>
Fuck him up and give him Haskell

May not be hard, but it'd be interested to see a new programmer learn functionally in a world of imperative languages
>>
>>56999872
scheme. It has literally everything a beginner needs to know about programming
>>
>>57000465
I was going to teach him by K&R.
>>
>>56999999
>sexts
>misspelled Blockly
faggot
>>
File: 200_.jpg (24KB, 260x327px) Image search: [Google]
200_.jpg
24KB, 260x327px
Get pic related

Dont get trolled into using K&R or other beginner C books that require an advanced understanding of programming.

Dont get "C for Dummies", its an incomplete version of pic related and expects you to buy pic related even though pic related has all the material

Dont get "Beginning Programming with C for Dummies", its by the same author but is updated with IDE bullshit, you should use the terminal when first learning C

(sry for delete,wrong pic)
>>
>>57000719
>Dont get trolled into using K&R or other beginner C books that require an advanced understanding of programming.
What problems he can face?
I learned programming a whole age ago and I don't know what problems newbies face in programming at first.
>>
Is CS50x a good recommandation with the book "Programming in C" 3rd edition and "Hackers Delight" to start out programming?
>>
>>57000921
If you read the preface in advanced level beginning C books like:
C Primer Plus -Prata
Programming in C -Kochan
C Programming -King
they say they are not for people who have never programmed before. These books dont answer dummy questions that someone who has never programmed before would have about C
>>
http://www.mindviewinc.com/CDs/ThinkingInC/
>>
>>57000221
Phyton. Don't use C until you know how to make functional programs that take 1000-5000 lines, and even then it is probably no point.
>>
>>57000921
Don't use C. Start with a language that you can actually make smaller programs with without having a full grasp on everything. He can use C when he knows basic and intermediate programing knowledge.

Use Python (or maybe Java).
Python the hard way, is supposed to be good.
>>
this tutorial gives a quick view of the advanced concepts of C
http://jakeworld.org/JakeWorld/index.php/the-c-tutorials/
>>
>>57001446
>Start with a language that you can actually make smaller programs with without having a full grasp on everything.
>or maybe Java

Oh yes, declaring public class hiworld with public static void main is smaller than int main.

>>57001406
>>57001446
>Use Python
I don't know if lack of need to declare variables is good for novices.
I learnt BASIC though, and I don't remember it required to declare variables.
>>
Nothing wrong with a bit of C++. Relatively straightforward, you've got OOP covered, it gets use pretty widely, you can get visible, useful results pretty quickly which is always going to be important when it comes to sticking with learning a new language.
>>
>>57002386
Don't waste life. Don't listen to him
>>
>>56999872
Scratch -> Python -> C
ez as pi
>>
>>57002593
>Scratch
Isn't that for kids?
>>
>>57003857

Yeah but so's Python

Kids and biology postgrads
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.