[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the "cost" of internet? It's just sending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1418297346273.png (689KB, 680x544px) Image search: [Google]
1418297346273.png
689KB, 680x544px
What is the "cost" of internet? It's just sending signals from one place to another, right? So why do data caps exist, and why does my ISP charge me more for fast internet?
Do they need better infrastructure for it? More powerful servers? Does it give them a higher electricity bill?
>>
Because they can squeeze more money out of you that way.
>>
>>56995036
look up a cost of a single enterprise switch or a router, then include a salary for someone to maintain it, add license fees and taxes.

providing internet access costs immense amounts of money, and ISP's are not trying to milk money out of customers on purpose, they're doing it to stay afloat.
>>
>What is the "cost" of internet? It's just sending signals from one place to another, right?
Routing hardware, underground cabling, and bandwidth to an ISP's uplink.

Your (consumer) ISP pays another ISP in order to connect to them and peer with the world. This is true until you get big enough that everyone wants to peer with you instead, then you don't have to pay anyone else.

>So why do data caps exist
Because your ISP oversold their capacity and doesn't want to pay more for more bandwidth/hardware.

>and why does my ISP charge me more for fast internet?
Their bandwidth is a finite resource and they don't want to pay for more hardware/cabling/infrastructure.

>Do they need better infrastructure for it?
Yes. But they're cheap, or as is quite often the case, they're using legacy cabling that can't be easily replaced or is owned by someone else that they're renting.

>More powerful servers?
Yes, as your network expands, you need to use more powerful servers in order to administrate it.

>Does it give them a higher electricity bill?
Of course it does.
>>
>>56995100
>ISP's are not trying to milk money out of customers on purpose
How can one anon be this cute?
>>
>>56995100
lol'd
>>
>>56995136
by having experience in business, instead of tinfoiling about big evil corporations to pass time
>>
>>56995036
It's just sending signals from one place to another, right?

YES! now please tell us how to send all of these 1's and 0's without spending any money or using electricity, must be simple, right??
>>
>>56995036

your internet bill builds future infrastructure.

imagine saying back 20years ago why am i paying so much for 56k ?

its overly simplified and they companies make to much money and charge too much and data caps are fucking bullshit especially mobile.

the answer lies in $$$ somewhere between free and what we have now in a perfect world. crony capitalism makes this an unideal world

edit: also i can pull 5megabytes per second torrents of my free city wifi. its great but i cant access it in bed.
>>
>>56995297
>free city wifi at 5 MB/s
Where do you live?
>>
>>56995286
Mirrors and Morse code. :^)
>>
>>56995100
>ISP's are not trying to milk money out of customers on purpose
Then why is it that American and Australian ISPs have data caps but European, Antarctican, Asian and African, South American, ISPs don't? Really makes you think...
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.