[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best distro for programming type of work? Any programmers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1422224758993.jpg (90KB, 496x514px) Image search: [Google]
1422224758993.jpg
90KB, 496x514px
What is the best distro for programming type of work?
Any programmers here that make actual money use gnu/linux?

I want to believe that I don't need Windows.
>>
>>56993660
Also with which DE is the best combination
>>
>>56993660
There's no such thing as a standard distro in actual use.
Everybody has to tweak the crap out of whatever distro they wind up with.
Every time a distro has been rolled out in an organisation Microsoft has been able to reclaim the account within months. Why? Distros, universally, aren't usable as they come. By the time they've been sorted out the savings are gone.
>>
>>56993705
>with which DE
>MUH DE

ANY DE will do
>>
win7 or xubuntu, but you can work on both. You may need Windows for some specific stuff in X jobs but still, virtual machines may be enough
>>
>>56993660
Linux is all about choice, whatever you're more comfortable with, is the right distro/DE setup. You're going to have to try for yourself. Word of advice, fuck a DE stick to a WM, with some programming skills you'll be unstoppable.
>>
>>56993660
Run Gentoo on main workstation and laptop
Do development work on CentOS machine
VNC into devel box from Main w/s or laptop
Develop weather satellite software
€60K/year after taxes
>>
File: december1994_1920.jpg (412KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
december1994_1920.jpg
412KB, 1920x1080px
Fedora, though they should give it a new name because seriously, who wants to use a OS named Fedora like your some autist nice guy sperg.
>>
>>56995314
Same
>>
>>56993660
Completely off-topic but the commenter in your pic stole his comment verbatim from Internet Comment Etiquette.
>>
OpenIndiana. You get full AT&T Unix source code and an OS that is fully POSIX. Two things that are valuable for systems programming, which is what I assume you are wanting to get into since you are worrying about the OS.
>>
>>56993660

Its called MacOS
>>
>>56993660
It doesn't matter. You could program on any distro/OS. The majority of posters here are dumbass CS students that only program when they're given an assignment and come here to shitpost and meme. Just do some programming work instead of fucking around with different distros.
>>
>>56993660
>What is the best distro for programming type of work?
>Any programmers here that make actual money use gnu/linux?
the whole *distro* thing is why 90% of the programmers in Silicon Valley use Macs and why Linux will never be taken seriously for commercial work. Macs support a lot of important commercial applications that would never get ported to Linux. Plus Macs support all the Linux apps through brew or compiling from source
>>
>>56993660

any ganoo loonix with E M A C S
>>
>>56993660
Depends on what are you developing in.
C and C++ will work on pretty much any distro.
Java, Python, PHP, JS should work on most of them.
If you stick to something popular like Debian, Ubanto or Fedora, you should be all right.
>>
>>56993660
Most people I know program in C# using ASP.Net.
Guess what OS they use.
>>
>>56999266
gentoo
>>
>>56999155
yep, osx is currently the best operating system. you can do all your *nix shit and it has commercial support.
>>
They are pretty much the same. The only difference is the package manager. Just get a buntu with the DE you like the most and add/remove what you want until you get something you like.
>>
>>56993660
most shit is packaged for ubuntu, but you should be able to use it in any distro
>>
implying I need any particular DE to enjoy programming on Codeacademy's free online interactive platform
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.