[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some uses for having moar CPU cores? What could my computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1475895830514.jpg (8KB, 235x215px) Image search: [Google]
1475895830514.jpg
8KB, 235x215px
What are some uses for having moar CPU cores? What could my computer do better for having them?

Maybe its a dumb question, but all google got me was "Should I get an 8 core processor for vidyagamez?"
>>
More shit can run in parallel. For desktop use 4 to 8 cores is preferred. Don't listen to anyone who says Xeons are great for desktop use, they're idiots who like wasting money. The only time you'd need >8 cores is when you're either running servers or doing large amounts of video rendering (and even then you'd be using a GPU for that shit)
>>
study the code of the programs you use to find out how well they handle multi threading so you can determine the optimal amount of cores
>>
>>56991977
So basically it can run more programs at once without slowing down?
>>
>>56991993
basically yes. i just googled and i'm seeing a few results that don't mention gaming (or mention it only as a passing remark), so i'm not sure what else you're hoping to see.
>>
>>56991993
Pretty much.

Imagine your 8 core CPU is an 8 lane highway where the cars are individual instructions and toll booths are what executes the instructions (or w/e). As you would expect, more lanes = more cars can go through the toll booths at once. Likewise more cores = more parallel instructions being executed.

Or something. That's the best analogy I could come up with.
>>
>>56991993
>>56992016

Forgot to mention, where this applies to gaming: Most games will use no more than 1 or 2 threads at once. Some more CPU-hungry games may use 3 or 4.
>>
>>56991950
More CPU cores allow you to run more things by pinning tasks to certain cores.

A notable example would be the usage of multiple virtual machines with their own allocated cores. Another example is video/photo manipulation like Photoshop & Sony Vegas. Their tasks are heavily parallelized and can utilize many threads.

>"Should I get an 8 core processor for vidyagamez?"

Are you trying to FUTURE PROOF ur GAYMEN RIG? Do you care about cost:efficiency ratio?

If yes and no, then sure. There are a few games which can take advantage of 8 threads. GTA 5 is a notable one.

Most games are not written to take advantage of >4 CPUs though. For today's market, it's almost always better to be a smart consumer and purchase an i5 or something.
>>
I can't recommend a i5 skylake to anyone because of kaby lake and because I sure as mustard that zen will BTFO it.

and lets face it even quite a few K owners just buy it to look fashionable and cool most of them don't even overclock and most of them are not nerdy 4channers lol.

But the 4 core thing is right
Most users wount need more than 4 that's why the enuthuists class has it locked down in their square.

More cores is not trickling down to users in the mainstream at intel's line up because most of them only do one thing at a time and games can run find on just four cores.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.