[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/nu, e/lit/ist here. Is it true that modern printers (about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: 1430772668559.jpg (151KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1430772668559.jpg
151KB, 720x960px
Hey /g/nu, e/lit/ist here.

Is it true that modern printers (about a decade ago or so) puts a mirco mark on every single piece of paper that passes through it, that identifies the printer it came from like a fingerprint?

And that windows 10 has access to the fingerprint?

Can they track you from your paper? Is it some security feature like how tazer guns have that confetti pocket?
>>
>>56989475
>Is it true that modern printers (about a decade ago or so) puts a mirco mark on every single piece of paper that passes through it, that identifies the printer it came from like a fingerprint?
Yes

>And that windows 10 has access to the fingerprint?
I don't even know what that means

>Can they track you from your paper?
Probably

>Is it some security feature like how tazer guns have that confetti pocket?
I think it's some kind of anti-counterfeiting measure
>>
Bump

Should have put printers in subject.
>>
yes

https://www.eff.org/pages/list-printers-which-do-or-do-not-display-tracking-dots
>>
>>56989621
>I don't even know what that means
Doesn't windows 10 keep a track of everything installed / attached to your pc, on servers that are not your computer?

Doesn't that mean that Microsoft can have a database of the peripherals attached?
Doesn't that mean that some higher authority(nsa) can search through Microsoft's database for that mark, and be pointed directly at you?
>>
>>56989703
It's the printer that makes the marks not the os.

There are much simpler ways to get that data base
>>
>>56989765
He's saying Win10 might send the printer's serial number to MS servers, where the NSA can grab it. Since the serial number is also encoded in the dots, that would make it easy to link a document back to you, even if you paid cash for the printer.
>>
I give up. I'm throwing away all of my computers.
>>
>>56989669
>imblying they're not tampered with whenever you buy one online
>>
>>56989475
It's more than just tracking:
https://youtu.be/1c-jBfZPVv4
>>
>>56989782
examples like that are the definition of tinfoil hat
>>
File: 4L_RY1ZJjB7.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
4L_RY1ZJjB7.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>56989475

when you see it
>>
>>56989475
W-what? This is really true? Why haven't you fags told me before?
>>
>>56989782
>He's saying Win10 might send the printer's serial number to MS servers, where the NSA can grab it. Since the serial number is also encoded in the dots, that would make it easy to link a document back to you, even if you paid cash for the printer.
That's probably doable, with the right court-orders etc.

The printer is probably made in Taiwan/China so you might need some cooperation...or not. Depends on how cooperative the US office of that company is. The M$ DB of peripherals is obviously readily available to anyone with a US flag on their lapel who gives the secret handshake and pass phrase (it's "9/11, don't want to support terrorism, do you?").

So, you tell the US office of Canon/HP etc that you want to know about the printer that printed some sheet of paper and they tell you the serial number and MS tells you the windows that has that printer.

The printer company can probably give you IPs that the printer used to update firmware as well as where it was sold etc. MS gives you nearly everything.
>>
>>56990395
i worked for samsung. terrible company by the way. totally corrupt. they are not a pibicly listed company after all.

the paper marker will link to serial number.

the serial number can be linked to the imported pallet and which retailer it went to in SAP

the retailer would have to be approached to attempt to id the purchaser if they used plastic

there is no easy way to pull IPs for updates, most servers of samsung website are offshore, singapore / korea
>>
>>56989475
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printer_steganography
>>
>>56990275
>>
>>56990552
So ink jets are not affected?
>>
>>56990275
>>56990585
Gaise, I think I just found the origin to Gnome logo
>>
>>56989475
It's nothing to do with the OS. Purely in hardware, otherwise it would be too easy to circumvent.

Also, it's color printers only.
>>
>>56990275
>>
>>56990275
Fuck you. Don't go macking on the only one I have a chance with.
>>
>>56990275
Glad I wasn't the only one
>>
File: roasted.jpg (28KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
roasted.jpg
28KB, 400x400px
>>56990275
Bruh
>>
File: Moonman.png (208KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Moonman.png
208KB, 400x400px
>>56990275
K K K K K K K K
>>
So is it just like on a corner you can tear off, or...?
>>
>>56990754
No, some are. If you have a blue LED light or a microscope you can easily see the yellow dots on the page.

>>56990870
I read a comment on a eff article about this forever ago and some guy claimed that the serial number is encoded in the dithering of black and white printers also. I'd take it with a pinch of salt though.
>>
>>56989475
Just buy the printer locally instead of ordering it so it can't be tied to you. Don't use Windows 10, or at least don't ever connect it to Internet. Problems solved.
>>
>>56990275
It's a shop...
>>
>>56992311
what do they sell?
>>
>>56992311
Do you enjoy pointing out the obvious or did you somehow think that others actually needed it to be pointed out? Either way, please refrain from doing so in the future.
>>
>>56992311
I know..............................................
>>
>>56990275
>when your chin is your face
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.