[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My old laptop died and I'm looking for something new. /g/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

My old laptop died and I'm looking for something new. /g/ what are some decent sub $600 thin 13 inch laptops that I can get used? A 2013 macbook air seams like a decent choice but macs don't tend to have the best value. I don't really care about performance that much since my that what my desktop is for. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>56987014
get a netbook
>>
I should add that I'm prioritizing battery life over performance.
>>
>>56987046
get the air with good specs.
for browsing and everything with internet they are the best. trackpad is incredible, but watch out: screen resolution is shit.
I use it with brightness on 100%, wlan and bluetooth and it easily lasts for 2 days of use.
I do: browsing, chatting, light programming, netflix and facetime
>>
X220
>>
>>56987110
Yah that's about the conclusion I've come to. I borrowed a friends for a few days and it seams to work perfect with i3wm. I just wanted to see what other options I had before pulling the trigger.
>>
>>56987014
Chromebook
>>
Don't get the Air you retard. It's the budget option for people who desperately want an Apple laptop yet don't have the cash for something decent.
>>
>>56987169
Like I said I don't really care about performance. It's battery life is great and its really light. The only gripe I have with it is the 4gb of soldered memory.
>>
>>56987191
It's not about performance. The screen resolution is absolute ass.
>>
>>56987169
>>56987191
(Clicked post to early and omitted the last sentence. So just to continue) I wanted to check what other options there were at the price point, I don't really care about where it would put me among mac users.
>>
>>56987203
>The screen resolution is absolute ass.
Of course; it's a battery-saving measure.
If it had a Retina screen that would drain the battery quicker.
>>
>>56987191
I doubt the battery life is gonna be that great on a 3 year old used laptop
>>
>>56987191
Get a used 13" Macbook Pro. Screen is 500x better, more ports, a little bit less battery life but still very good, will keep up the speed for longer, will last you longer and has better resale value. It's a better deal, really.
>>
Hold off any Mac until the end of this month.
>>
If you get a good deal for a MacBook Pro Retina, then get that, but watch out for the loading cycles if your buying it used.

I would change my new air within a heartbeat, i really just bought it because it was cheap af.
2015 256gb ssd 8gb ram 600$ 13 loading cycles so yeeh
>>
>>56987287
this. buy a used macbook at the end of the month if you want, but don't buy it before. people that want the newest thing will be selling theirs after the announcement/after the product goes on sale, so at least wait until then.

and if you decide you really want the newest rMBP, then that'll be an option too.
>>
>>56987310
what do you mean by loading cycles? battery loading cycles?

a new battery isn't that expensive, and replacing it yourself is only really challenging if you have parkinson's or impulse control problems.
>>
if you care about specs, then the macbook most certainly isn't for you
go look for dell XPS or something
>>
>>56987014
>decent sub $600 thin 13 inch laptops that I can get used
>Used
no
https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-ZenBook-UX305CA-UHM1-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.328071300
>>
>>56987203
what other laptop has a 13" 1440x900 screen for that price point with the same battery life and size?
There's the pro that's only mild bigger, but it only has a 1280x800 (effective) resolution.
>>56987254
I was still getting 4-5 hours of battery life out of the original battery for my 2011 15" until I replaced it last year.
Now with the same battery in my 2012 15" I still get 6-7 hours of battery life easily
>>
>>56987370
>1080p screen that has to be scaled
no thanks
plus those m3 laptops are painful to use, especially once they throttle.
Only up side is that the screen is IPS.
>>
>>56987426
XPS 13? or do you not want a 1080p in a 13 inch screen?
You brought up the m3 issue so i assume your going to be doing more than shitposting but .....
> I don't really care about performance that much since my that what my desktop is for
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9360-laptop
>>
>>56987014
you probably have a handheld. why do you even need a laptop?
>>
>>56987480
i'm not op, but just using those m3 laptops is painful, even just browsing the internet.
nobody should have to deal with the pain that is atom processors.
and who the fuck would want a 13" 1080p screen?
>too small to read text comfortably unscaled
>too low of a resolution to do proper scaling
>>
Macbook Air.......those are a waste of money. If you are set on Apple get yourself a used Macbook Pro with an i5.

The Macbook Air is a glorified Notebook.
>>
>>56987549

> A u series i5 is not good enough for browsing

Macbook air seems like a good choice for OP's needs, An xps 13 would be better if you can get it cheap. Or get some sort of new netbook for $600 an put something with lXDE on it
>>
I've been using a MacBook Air for 3 years and the charger finally fried itself. If you don't care about performance but long lasting battery and lightweight use, go ahead and get it. Just keep an eye on the charger, it will get ridiculously hot to the point of literally burning you and in my case, itself too.
>>
>>56987014
MBA 11" is the comfy king of netbooks. I wasn't able to stand macOS but fortunately it also runs Gentoo pretty well. Only shaved an hour or so off the battery life.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ZenBook-UX305CA-UHM4T-Signature-Laptop/dp/B01F1CVR80/ref=sr_1_85?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1475974075&sr=1-85&keywords=asus+zenbook

Here ya go, OP
>>
>>56988793
>falling for the zenbook meme
They're absolutely horrible laptops. I have no idea why anyone shills for them.
>>
>>56988804
If you're gonna shit on something, at least provide evidence supporting your claim.
>>
File: ackchyually-fs8.png (6KB, 225x225px)
ackchyually-fs8.png
6KB, 225x225px
>>56987014
>seams like a decent choice
that's your best and only choice. everything else is fucking garbage.
>>
>>56989130
Read any review of it and you'll get the opposite opinion, but that's just because Asus knows how to bribe reviewers. I owned two Zenbooks in as many years because our university had a deal with MS and their new "signature," shit. To make a long story short: the keyboard is awful, the trackpad is mediocre, the screens are decent quality, but the overall build quality is ass. They run into major thermal issues because, just like apple, they prefer form over function; however, unlike apple they haven't improved thermals one iota in several generations. And of course the battery life is pure fiction, something Apple actually doesn't seem to lie about.

tl;dr: Owned two of them, they're absolutely garbage aside from aesthetics. If you want a netbook with equivalent specs just pony up for the air or a thinkpad/elitebook with a thin form factor.
>>
File: 1473614615524.jpg (47KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1473614615524.jpg
47KB, 600x800px
>>56988793
>ANUS
total fucking garbage. only a retard who never tried that piece of shit would recommend it. trackpad alone is a deal-killer. it feels like total shit when compared to a real MBP.

additionally, it also screams "I'm a cheap chink knockoff of apple's laptop."
>>
>>56987014
>A 2013 macbook air seams like a decent choice but macs don't tend to have the best value

except you would be wrong. battery life, balnced performance (i5 with PCIe SSD), thinness, build quality and dependability of the OS, and future resale value all factor into the equation. haswell and newer MBA cant be touched by PC ultrabook offerings and makes a case against other macbook lines from a cost utility standpoint
>>
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-book/yoga-book-windows/

here you go op
>>
>>56989244
>I like smearing finger grease on my screen
JUST
>>
>>56989276
>http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga-book/yoga-book-windows/

> he doesnt buy a screen protector

why
>>
>>56989294
so you get an ugly film screen with greasy finger marks all over it?

great.
>>
>>56989294
Looking through a screen protector covered in finger grease while I code sounds just as bad anon.
>>
I would suggest a 9405s model O Laptop System. It provides inter mary systems indicigation of the
>>
>>56987014
>sub $600
>decent

You should look into used HP Elitebooks or Dell Latitude/XPS/Precisions.

You will not find anything decent new in that price range.
>>
>>56989333
>hp

stop talking
>>
>>56989309
>>56989310
thats why it has a pen
>>
>>56987014
Every other faggot talking about used MacBooks are right. As long as you can get one from 2011 or newer it will support a modern web browser (Firefox at least) and will probably support any software you might want to use on it. It really depends on what kind of power and form factor you want.
>>
>>56989355
HP's business notebook line is fine.

It's HP's consumer line that's cancer.
>>
>>56989398
HP is botnet shit, anon. You might as well walk to the NSA with a box of hard drives containing everything you've ever done with a computer
>>
>>56987014
If you don't care about performance just buy a $200-$300 chromebook and install windows (you're on /g/ so you should be fine), they are usually the sexy laptop that you want
>>
>>56989408
>implying Dell or Asus notebooks don't have Intel TPM botnet
>>
>>56989418
Chromebooks have ARM CPUs you retard. You can't install Windows on them. If you wanted to be an asshat you might as well recommend a $70 2007 MacBook even though his budget is $600
>>
>>56989429
It's mostly the deal with every PC manufacturer with the gall to preinstall spyware onto their computers
Apple definitely spies on its customers but it doesn't let other corporations see it
>>
>>56987014
Wait for the new macs to drop then snatch up an upgrading richfag's pristine faceberg machine at a discount. Checks Craig's list if you're feeling froggy, a lot of the daft cunts just offload every release for peanuts, particularly at colleges. I bought a 2014 11" 8/256 Air when the 12" Macbook was released on CL for $400. It was almost completely pristine minus a scuff on the bottom. Battery was still in great shape too.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.