[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /g/ Recently I decided to try Arch in a VM and followed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: arch_gnome.jpg (120KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
arch_gnome.jpg
120KB, 1191x670px
Hi /g/

Recently I decided to try Arch in a VM and followed the steps from http://wideaperture.net/blog/?p=3851 where I got stuck after step seventeen

The problem is, after installing Gnome, I can't log in. I write down my password, it goes black and returns to the prompt. What can I do?
>>
Just install Arch using arch-anywhere (google it). It will install arch for you and it will even detect that you are on virtual box so it will install all the virtaul box utils needed.
>>
Try not using Gnome, it's a piece of shit
>>
YOU DO NOT INSTALL ARCH BY FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS FROM ANYWHERE EXCEPT FROM THE ARCH WIKI. PERIOD.

Too much shit changes in Arch to make any external guide relevant for long at all.
>>
Sounds like Xorg isn't starting properly. Perhaps missing video drivers that work with Virtualbox.
>>
File: tfw.jpg (102KB, 400x232px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.jpg
102KB, 400x232px
>>56983668
>not following the wiki
>>
>>56983898
you seem to not know what is Arch Anywhere friendo. It isn't a guide, it's more like an automated script for people who wants to have an install up and running in 10 minutes instead of 2 hours reading wiki or troubleshooting shit.
>>
sounds like you dont have permission to mount the /home folder for your user
>>
>>56984241
those 2 hours "reading wiki or troubleshooting shit" are the ones where you get the knowledge.
if you want to just shitpost and watch anime sure thats a great idea, but if you want to actually do something productive you shouldn't.
>>
>>56983668
1. You're an idiot
>not following the guide

2. Learn how linux works
>not knowing how to change root password if forgotten

Just chroot in and change the fucking password you moron. You don't even deserve to be called a faggot.
>>
File: this guy.jpg (17KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
this guy.jpg
17KB, 480x336px
>>56984298
I don't watch anime man, I don't judge if it is your thing, still
>implying you are not a pretentious faggot that feels better after spending 2 hours reading and troubleshooting installation just to feel better when watching animu and shitposting that your life isn't total shit.
Nice try though, keep working on it.
>>
File: tip.jpg (4KB, 201x251px) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
4KB, 201x251px
>>56984298
> installing arch is productive
> I install arch The Arch Way™ to gain muh knowledge
>>
>>56983668
arch=shit
>>
File: 1379921581.jpg (106KB, 1520x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1379921581.jpg
106KB, 1520x1080px
>>56984359
I actually feel better learning and understanding the basics on operating systems, because it is my job to know all that.
Also, I do watch anime, but I do not shitpost like you.
So long.
>>
>>56984493
>So long.
:^)
>>
>>56983856
thanks but I wanna learn how to do it.

>>56983898
Does the wiki work for VM's? I tried but I couldn't make it work.

>>56984299
1. I know my password
>not reading what I wrote

2. If I could get to the terminal I would remove gnome
>not reading what I wrote
>>
>>56984564
What you're telling me, is you don't know how to access a terminal from GRUB?

Are you serious right now?
>>
>>56983668
>I’ve now posted a revised version of this guide. Click here to go to the newer post.
http://wideaperture.net/blog/?p=4503

i don't think you read at all

here's my suggestion

you re-install and follow my guide
>>
>>56984740
thanks a lot, i'm going to try it
>>
>>56984799
>still not following the actual guide

You're a complete idiot and everyone in this thread is lauching at you.
>>
>>56984799
i said follow my guide
not that guide
even this guide is much better
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jae/4118-LAST/arch-setup-2016-1.html
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox
>>
>>56984403
>gain muh knowledge

Fuck off with that attitude. I don't even use Arch, but never is more knowledge bad.
>>
The wiki has everything. Read up on it.
>>
>Spend every waking minute convincing people to install a non-beginner, fully configurable OS

>"Hey everyone, I installed Arch on a VM to try it, I'm having trouble, can you help?"

>"Wow you fucking faggot, what a piece of human fucking shit, you moronic peabrained monkeyman. Kill yourself before you poison humanity with your stupidity you fucking knuckledragger.

/g/, everyone.
>>
>>56983668
>I decided to try Arch in a VM
lol pleb too afraid to install Arch in real hardware
>>
>>56984970
cry some more kiddo, nothin personnel
>>
>>56984359
you stupid fucking faggot. there's no point in using arch if you can't even be bothered to learn how it works.
>>
>>56984970
/g/ isn't tech support
>>
>>56983668
Install Antergos, its arch with gnome and no autism
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.