[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>i don't use an anti-virus i use common sense 2016 :^)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

File: virus-malware.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
virus-malware.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
>i don't use an anti-virus i use common sense 2016 :^)

literally why wouldn't you use an anti-virus? there's no downside to using one. even the most poorfag computer on the market now can run anti-virus with no performance hit
>>
install gentoo
>>
becuz i use linux (it's a cool underground program for HACKERS only) and it has no software so naturaly it has no viruz!
>>
>>56977940
>with no performance hit
The only anti-virus that has no performance hit is common sense. As long as you run something on your computer, it is a performance hit.
>>
File: 1475561360616.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1475561360616.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>56977940
OY VEY!!
Didn't you make the same thread last week, goyim?

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S56916197
>>
>>56977940
>literally why wouldn't you use an anti-virus? there's no downside to using one
it uses ram, no matter how little
if you don't need and don't use something, then it just takes up memory for no reason
I bet you're a wangblows cuck though
>>
>>56977977
>being this new
>>
>>56977940
Shitty antiviruses are more of a security risk than anything else.
>>
>>56977983
unused ram is wasted ram ;^)
>>
>>56977940
Virus scanners are proprietary
Virus scanners nag for money
Virus scanners sell your data
Virus scanners are malware
>>
>>56978010
hmmm....... really maeks u think http://www.clamav.net/
>>
>>56978016
ClamAV is a piece of shit with a 50% detection rate.
>>
>>56977991
>damage control
>>
I believe in security through isolation. Due to the current state of technology you cannot avoid using dangerous closed source software and habits. However It's upto you how seriously you are going to take your security.
Although Privacy and Security are correlated, are completely different priority. Sometimes you actually want your privacy to be breached to a certain extent to be secure from malicious attackers.
Here are my security advices:

Install GNU/Linux. Have MAC or RBAC enabled. Don't log in as a root.
Only install the softwares from your distro's secure repo
Use the Grsec kernel with PaX patches.
Use uBlock origin. HTTPS everywhere, Disconnect and Decentraleyes.
Use a Secure DNS.
Never keep yourself logged into anything.
If you want to compromise your privacy, enable two phase log in, However please do not link your email IDs as "referential IDs". Just make sure one email ID does not trace back to the other one you got.
Use a password manager. Best way is to maintain own encrypted spreadsheet.
Never use flash.
Install and keep firewall enabled at startup.
Keep bluetooth and printer service disabled by default.
Never give your windows VM any network access.
Do not bank or shop online unless you really have to. NEVER INSTALL YOUR BANK'S APP IN YOUR PHONE.
Randomly change all your 16 digit passwords. Use your spreadsheet to keep track of it.
Analyse your data traffic to check for network tapping.
Always keep a mirror backup of your data. Create your own cloud storage if you are really serious.
Lastly, only visit trusted websites

Reminder that there are malwares can exploit your host file system. Bidirectional file and clipboard sharing should be handled with caution.

>Protip:
You cannot "download" or "install" security
>>
>>56978033
>open source being shit
colour me surprised
>>
File: SymantecEndpointProtection.jpg (216KB, 934x570px) Image search: [Google]
SymantecEndpointProtection.jpg
216KB, 934x570px
My Bank offers free Kaspersky and my University offers free Endpoint Protection.

Kaspersky is a Russian botnet, but what can /g/ tell me about the latter?

Imo Common Sense is fine, even the 2014 version.
>>
>>56978067
>shilling proprietary virus scanners
Your opinion isn't relevant
>>
>>56978247
if dubs no u
>>
>>56978033
All AV has a 50% detection rate
>>
>>56978277
OOOOH REKT AND CHECK'D
>>
File: malwarebytes-anti-exploit.jpg (24KB, 400x234px) Image search: [Google]
malwarebytes-anti-exploit.jpg
24KB, 400x234px
I've been using malwbytes plus anti exploit for zero day attacks.
How placebos is anti exploit?
>>
>>56978277
ayyyyy
>>
I literally use Defender and Malwarebytes. I scan with Malwarebytes every now and then to make sure I didn't fuck up. Defender is good enough.
>>
Virus scanners are just a placebo. They don't actually work.
>>
>>56978309
It's literally just a watered down EMET
>>
>>56977940
>literally why wouldn't you use an anti-virus? there's no downside to using one

Sure, if you like having all your personal shit uploaded to some cloud because the heuristics engine flags it as suspicious -- and not even knowing that it's been uploaded to some cloud.

And sure, if you like running products from vendors who won't deny that they serve malicious updates at the request of law enforcement.
>>
>>56977940
You literally don't need one unless you're under 14 years old and need to be babysit. What >>56978055 said. The only useful AV software is one which doesn't run in background at all or invade your system. AVs are much better when run from a DVD or USB drive to just scan and fix your system, malwarebytes is a good AV, for example.
If you're on Linux you don't need much, Windows should use comodo firewall as Windows has shit security and idiotic users.
>>
>>56977940
>im going to post this every day!
You are the virus.
>>
>>56978309

Security products have their own vulnerabilities all the time, so those anti-exploit products are just smoke and mirrors while they remain opaque to a convenient audit. They could also be uploading a whole bunch of your personal shit without your knowledge, being more of a threat than the threats they're addressing.
>>
>>56978397
>just smoke and mirrors

No.

>hey could also be uploading a whole bunch of your personal shit without your knowledge, being more of a threat than the threats they're addressing.

Pretty much impossible. MBAE doesn't require internet and you can block it with firewall or w/e if you're really paranoid and it will still work 100%.
>>
>>56977940
No antivirus is perfect. They are literally a scam. If you even suspect a virus in your system, wipe and rebuild. This is the only way to be absolutely certain that all traces of the virus are gone.
>>
>>56977940
nice try Symantec.
nobody's going to buy your trashware called AV all avs are bascialy waste of pc resources
>>
I am under the impression that the real problem with AVs is that they pretty much run anything it sees in a sandbox.

Of course, if there is any vulnerability in the AV, then if you download a file or open a folder containing a virus that can exploit that vulnerability then it can fuck up your pc without you even trying to open the file.

Obviously that's bad
>>
>>56978513

> Pretty much impossible.

It's not impossible. It demonstrably has built-in auto-update functionality, and it demonstrably submits suspect files it encounters. Both of these show network capability. I mean, this shit is right there in the fucking GUI. You can disable the latter in the premium version, but you're still hoping the program respects your wishes.

> MBAE doesn't require internet
> and you can block it with firewall or w/e if you're really paranoid and it will still work 100%.

If you're really paranoid, you'd be aware that programs on Windows modify/bypass firewall rulesets all the time, at least when it comes to Windows Firewall.

If you install a third-party firewall, you're just kicking the can to yet another most-likely-closed-source program that can't be audited in a convenient manner for phone-home functionality.

Nobody who takes privacy/security seriously would be using Windows anyway. It could be submitting all your personal data as part of "product improvement." People who take security/privacy seriously try to minimize their reliance on closed-source software that can't be conveniently audited.
>>
File: 1465681259925.jpg (32KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
1465681259925.jpg
32KB, 250x272px
>>56978055
>install piece of shit
>>
>>56977940
Well most retards in this board use windows 10 which comes with windows defender by default that you cannot disable. In other words most people claiming they use common sense are just oblivious or ignorant.
>>
>>56979975
* common sense = no antivirus
>>
>>56977940
because for 10 years my common sense worked.
Because I use linux and use only checked libraries to make my own shit.
Because that is my job and life.
Becuase all anti-viruses are sophisticated botnets that happily read every single file or transaction you do.
>>
>>56977940
Could you stop posting copypasta? Would be nice to see some original threads once in a while.
>>
Because in the last 8 years I haven't run into enough trouble for it

If you run and download crap it is your fault.
>>
File: emsioft.jpg (642KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
emsioft.jpg
642KB, 3840x1080px
With the recent event of KA being shut down I was sort of lost of where I should download my torrents from. I eventually downloaded a bad torrent from a site I didn't know if it was good or not and I ended up with 800 infected files . Malwarebytes kept saying that it couldnt' find anything. Every 24 hours windows defender would find 2-3 files.

My friend suggested to me Emisoft and it's really good and I recommend it. It's free for 30 days.

Pic related
>>
common sense 2017 was just released last week :^)
>>
>>56981089
>using steam and skype
>downloaded a bad torrent
No wonder
>>
File: 562.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>56981355
>steam is bad
Don't you meme me kid I know you and everyone else here has it

>steam is bad
I agree but I do it so my girlfriend and I can see each other while she's over seas and so we can have a masturbation session.
>>
>>56981427
Skype is bad*
>>
File: 1469633833329.gif (2MB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1469633833329.gif
2MB, 260x260px
>>56977940
>even the most poorfag computer on the market now can run anti-virus with no performance hit

I don't have a computer from the "now". I'm using XP, too, instead of Linux.
>>
File: 1475918307156.webm (355KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1475918307156.webm
355KB, 1920x1200px
>>56977940
common sense 2016 IS an anti-virus you dumb fuck
>>
>my uncle's computer
>download a program from the official website
>Norton pops out saying it is checking the .exe installer
>"program.exe was declared as not secure and has been deleted "
>huge pop ups constantly telling me to buy more Norton products
>tell uncle that antiviruses aren't really necessary and I can uninstall his
>"b-but the viruses, anon "
>realize the terror campaign has gone too far

Why is this allowed? Aren't there laws against this?
>>
If Linux is so secure then why don't Loontards run as root?
>>
>>56977940
>>56978000
>>56981124
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>Updated browser
>Ublock origin
>privacybadger
>https everywhere
>decentraleyes

Most viruses come through the web and most fucks ups are cause youclicked on something from a bad domain.

You literally don't need antivirus if you secure the fuck out of your browser
>>
>>56977940
In fact, most antivirus add more exploits than they close up. Addons, toolbars, new firewall rules, all kinds of shit.

The only two that don't are common sense and windows defender.
>>
>>56978289
This, you either detect it or you don't
>>
File: lmgtfy.jpg (67KB, 1908x952px) Image search: [Google]
lmgtfy.jpg
67KB, 1908x952px
>>56977940
> wiping your shit with more shit
no, thank you
>>
>>56977940
>>56977977
dubs confirm OP is a faggot, abandon thread
>>
>>56977940

Both a performance hit and it kills your drives faster. Plus tons of false positives.
>>
because i dont need it. even the companies say their antivirus' can find 0-day viruses, they cant. so i just use firewall. and just scan suspicious files on internet that i download(virustotal), it is enough for me.
>>
>>56979952
>Being a retarded winbabby
>>>/v/
>>
>>56978055
Good post, anon.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.