[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> there are people on /g/ who actually install linux on their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

> there are people on /g/ who actually install linux on their gaming computers

why do you do this? your gpu is not being put to use. you can't even play any games on linux. you just wasted 2000 dollars on a gaming computer for nothing
>>
Yeah, it's pretty stupid. Even with the proprietary drivers, you're gonna get worse performance or missing graphical features. When it comes to personal computers, Linux is best suited to low powered machines like laptops that use Atom, Core M or Arm.
>>
>>56975708
>
They don't actually install linux on it.
In fact, /g/ would never buy a gaymen computer unless they actually try to play gayms on it or Graphic design/CAD
>>
I have a low-spec Linux workstation and a powerful Windows 10 PC that almost never gets turned on. A low powered Linux computer is still more useful for me than a more powerful Windows computer for daily use.

I'm basically just waiting for Battlefield 1 right now then I'll upgrade by graphics card and start using Windows again for part of the time.
>>
I have a computer that I do use for games.

Tbh I never once had to use Windows, and wine works for generally anything I actually want to play, aside from native games.
I only have Arch Linux on this computer.
>>
go away nathan
>>
File: 1474412892912.jpg (25KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1474412892912.jpg
25KB, 320x320px
>>56975708
>he unironically uses the term "gaming computer"
>>
>>56975708
>muh gaymen
Manchild pls go
>>
>>56975708
I don't feel like dual booting and I get better performance recording audio with Linux. Anyways, it works pretty good for counterstrike. I was getting 90fps max on windows and now I get about 120. Most games aren't very processor intensive though, so I understand that most games aren't going to do better when windows has better driver support.

Dota runs a bit slower but plenty fast enough.

I guess this doesn't really apply to me since anything running CS at 120 doesn't qualify as a gaming computer by a lot of people's standards, but gaming does represent about half of what I use it for.
>>
>>56975708
The no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
>>
You can always use GPU passthtough
>>
>>56975708
>gay men
Go back to >>>/v/. Manbaby
>>
>2016
>not using gpu passthrough
>>
>>56975965
Can you tell the difference between 90fps and 120fps on a 60hz monitor?
>>
>what's GPU passthrough
>>
>>56976152
Not OP, but yes you can. Running CS:GO at 250-300FPS on a 60Hz monitor drastically reduces screen-tear and decreases input lag as opposed to running at 60-80FPS
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 480x383px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 480x383px
>>56975708
what is a virtual machine with GPU passthrough
>>
who is she
>>
>>56975708
What movie is that?
>>
>>56976001
Not him but the no games argument is still true. Windows is the best OS for gaming mostly due to DirectX being better than garbage Khronos puts out, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for console to Windows to won't affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the Linux marketshare is small compared to Windows due to garbage like OpenGL/OpenAL, unstable ABIs and horrible audio stack.

The fact though is that the situation on Linux is still the same as decade ago, it's unstable trash and now those who prefer Linux still have nogames, keeping the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for Linux to compete in the gaming side. You can beg like bunch of entitled chidren on Steam forums spamming epic "no tux = no bux"

I notice some people want Linux to happen but let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux? Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing any meaningful way to technology.
>>
File: 1473142996463.jpg (3MB, 3500x2300px) Image search: [Google]
1473142996463.jpg
3MB, 3500x2300px
>>56975708
Come on.
>>
What is "Jubowo @ WIKI"? I want to see.
>>
>>56978480
Autism level over 900k
>>
>>56978530
Never mind I found it, I had to crop the image before searching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBWvUP708lk
>>
>>56978480
You destroyed everyone here with this reasoning. You better seek out other tech boards as almost everyone here is dropkick loser.
>>
you can play dota 2/cs go, skyrim pcsx2, and loads of other shit on linux

don't know where this meme comes from
>>
>people who fell for the linux meme

ROFL
>>
I use linux on my laptop, since I dont play gaymes on it and dont use proprietary software on it. My desktop computer on the other hand is a windows 10 (some updates behind, not even on anniversary) because I hate the micropleb updating system.
>>
>>56975774
this

I use an ARM board for Linux and a Windows PC for gaymin
>>
>>56978480
>I notice some people want Linux to happen but let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the Linux? Because I consider that software freedom to be meme of autistic unemployed neckbeards not contributing any meaningful way to technology.

I've worked at multiple BASED Linux based shops and every org that I've ever been a part of, or even heard of that uses Windows is a ridiculous clusterfuck.
>>
>>56975708
Wrong board, manchild
>>>/v/
>>
>>56975708
No games? Shut the fuck up, newshit.
>>
I agree. The thing is, I only have a computer right now, no laptop. And I wanna work with linux as well, so I dual boot.

But regarding the GPU thing, you're completely right. My 280x just doesn't do well on linux. I don't want games there but at least I don't want animations slowing down either.
>>
>>56975920
Insecure teen
>>
>>56978488
>Your internal GPU on your CPU is more powerful than you think

>Try this shit with an hd 4600
>Oh well, I guess I can play games on linux now (even though the fucking virtual machine takes a minute to boot into windows)
>Let's watch something on youtube at 1080p
>Oh well I guess I'll have to boot into that virtual machine
>Let's try with a movie
>Well shit, I guess I'll watch it on that virtual machine
>>
>>56975965
Same here. JACK is amazing and CSGO runs fine.
>>
>>56978906
Oh I forgot to mention that Gnome runs like garbage on that GPU as well. The only way in which I can see this as a decent system is if you can somehow switch back to dedicated graphics when not using that virtual machine, otherwise it's just stupid.
>>
Windows as main OS
Linux running through VMWare

anything else is ridiculous
>>
We only install Linux on our laptops
>>
File: file.png (261KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
261KB, 1366x768px
I run Windows 10 on my desktop, 2600K and a 290X

I run Fedora KDE on my laptop, i3-3110M, Intel HD 4000

I feel as though this is the best way. I could use Fedora on my desktop PC but I play Overwatch too much to bother. If I want to use Linux I'l just boot up my laptop.

The majority of stuff I use works on Fedora, and then some extra stuff too
>>
>>56975774
> Battlefield 1
>>
I have an i3 and 660, don't play many games, and the ones I play on gnu/linux play pretty well, only thing I use windows for is gta v
>>
>>56975708
Ever heard of this thing called dual booting?
>>
>>56979453
thats the thing where you have three graphics cards right?
You should need multiple cards just to game. If the os is too bloated to game with one card you have a probelm.
>>
>>56978991
How do you get work Word 2013?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.