[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the appeal of Linux besides being free? I just don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

File: iu[1].jpg (90KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
90KB, 1920x1200px
What's the appeal of Linux besides being free? I just don't get it. It just makes everything unnecessarily confusing with all the terminal crap I can't even install drivers.
>>
>>56970729
Use Mint or Ubuntu, you never have to touch a terminal
>>
>>56970729
Security, freedom with your OS, neckbeards
>>
>>56970750
I tried mint, was I doing it wrong?
>>
>>56970729
The development and administration tools are pretty cool, git, bash, emacs -- these things are a complete mess if you try to use them on Windows
>>
>>56970758
>Security
That's bullshit.
If you act like a complete retard, linux won't be more secure than windows.
>>
It really isn't confusing, it's just hard to switch if you are impatient.

In all reality its actually far easier to use, with the ease of use increasing exponentially vs Windows as the tasks complexity increases.
>>
>>56970729
Almost no viruses, package managers, file system compatibility, security hardening, native SSH
>>
>>56970792
Are you clinically retarded?
>>
>>56970729
>clean POSIX adhering interface
>unnecessarily confusing

Unless you started using computers yesterday, you'd realise that virtually all modern operating systems are NIX-likes and Windows really is the weird kid in the class.
>>
>>56970792
>if you act like a complete retard

Thanks, sherlock, and I'll bet if you run a .exe that says "imaviruslol" you'll get a virus. What the fuck dumbshit point is that?
>>
>>56970729
Even OSX have a learning curve.
>>
>>56970820
kys
>>
>>56970792
Complete retards click every penis enlargement link and Nigerian prince mail. They get so much malware, viruses, browser bars and unneeded startup shit that the computers are always crawling when you try them. That just doesn't happen if you install a Linux distro for them, I have done that for people who had slow PCs and they haven't been slow since. It just has to be set up for them at the beginning which is why companies should sell Linux laptops more, with preinstalled everything.
>>
>>56970729
Someone should just make a dumbed down distro for the masses so the can stop using JEWindows already.
>>
>>56971300
What do you think Ubuntu and mint are supposed to be? If you're too inept to use those you should just kill yourself already.
>>
>>56970729
For the vast majority of Pajeets, there is no benefit. Please continue to use Windows for your facebook and video game machine.

For some, it is about ideology. This is stupid and you should ignore those people.

For others, it's about being exposed to and learning about the underlying functions of their computers.

For even less, it is used for actual work because "bash on windows" is a crippled shell.

For the fewest, it's used because they have hardware which won't work as desired in a Windows environment.

$0.02 has been deposited to your Bing account.
>>
>>56971341
You underestimate how fucking dumb normalfags are with computers.
>>
File: linuxbust.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
linuxbust.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>56970729
lets say you have a really old pc that runs windows xp. Well you have a problem windows xp is no longer supported meaning its not really safe

so you need a light weight os witch is uptodate

so you would use linux

also linux is great for servers since its lightweight and there are not many exploits for linux so its secure
>>
I'm still convinced that Linux is shit for desktop but can be extremely good for servers and other uses
>>
>>56970729
>all the terminal crap
b-b-but that's the best bit

X is for plebs
>>
>>56970820
>In all reality its actually far easier to use

I used ubuntu on my laptop for 2 years, recently bought a gaming pc that came with win 10.

Holy shit at this point im pretty sure all linux love is overblow snobery at this point. There is literaly no reason to use linux in fucking 2016 when everything you do can be done through a fucking gui holy fucking shit what a nightmare that was.
>>
>>56971526
Windows 10 is mode difficult to use than 7 and XP, give up shill.
>>
File: guest.jpg (83KB, 748x745px) Image search: [Google]
guest.jpg
83KB, 748x745px
>>56971526
>Windows 10
>>
>>56970729
No Copyright.
>>
>>56971366
Probably the best answer, OP. Lubuntu and DSL can run on just about anything.

>>56971518
Number one reason though, it's just fun.
>>
>>56970792
If you act like a complete retard, you can't even use Linux
>>
File: 1465132624906.gif (2MB, 346x360px) Image search: [Google]
1465132624906.gif
2MB, 346x360px
>>56971526
You and windows.
see >>56971355
And i thought Policykit is bloat.

>>56971694
Linux is copyrighted.
>>
>>56971526
Screenfetch or you're full of shit.
>>
>>56970729
It's really more of a hobby or work thing
>>
>>56970729
I really hate how much Windows treats you like a child. After trying out Ubuntu (I've always been a Windows person) I've fallen in love with it and I've started using the terminal instead of the GUI purely because it feels like you control it a lot more.
>>
>>56973427
Terminal is pretty awesome. There's always zero lag, everything is instant. The only problem is that you have to know what to type and that takes time to learn.
>>
File: sen1.png (300KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
sen1.png
300KB, 1200x1920px
>>56970729
If you can't handle your shit shut your little whore mouth and read.
*WINKEY -> Terminal*
>>
>>56971276
Then someone else is fucking with my hardware AND software from the start. Division of power /g/ents.
>>56971804
this
>>
There's nothing inherently more secure about Linux systems. The most common shell had a fucking privilege escalation hidden in it for over thirty years.
>>
>>56970729
I just like it more in general, has much better customization, gives you more control and doesn't tries to hide things from you, also gives you access to a lot of useful software made with the best intentions from the OS itself. Also, IMHO Microsoft has been mistreating their users and i don't like their business practices but fortunately that's not my problem anymore.

An small link: https://mmstickman.wordpress.com/linux/why-linux-reasons-why-i-dislike-windows-why-linux-is-awesome/
>>
>>56974596
ok, show it to us and i'll open a bug report. The biggest well known security problem right now on linux is the design of X, that's why most of it's original developers are working on wayland and just maintaining X.
>>
>>56970729
The appeal besides being free is that you have the option to completely own and control every aspect of your computer, if you're willing to learn how to use the terminal.

Also, package managers are awesome, a huge benefit of using a Linux distro.

Plus you don't need to use an antivirus program that takes up half of your RAM

Oh, and you don't have to restart your computer every time there's an update like you do on Windows. I haven't shut my computer down in a month and everything is up to date. Gotta love it :^)

That's what I enjoy about Linux, anyways
>>
>>56970729
For the general user, Linux has little to no use. But as a sysadmin or power user, everything is so much easier.

Imagine the process of closing a process in Windows.
> place your hand in a weird orientation to get to ctrl+shift+esc
> take your hand from the keyboard to the mouse
> click on Firefox
> press end task
> wait for a second
> didn't work?
> go to process tab
> find Firefox
> right click - end process
> wait for a second
> didn't work?
> restart

Compare that to Linux
>ctrl+alt+t
>pkill firefox
> didn't work?
>pkill -9 firefox
Boom. The kernel immediately closes it for you. No questions asked. No pausing. Nothing left of the process

There's a lot of situations like this that just makes it so much more useful. From starting a program to searching for a file.

That's all just for the power user. For a sysadmin, Linux, and I think Unix in general has a "everything is a file" concept. All the hard drives, the network interfaces, unix sockets have been implemented for a while. You can even create your own
>>
>>56974869
Alt+F4
>>
>>56974886
That doesn't always work brah.
>>
>>56974886
All that does is close a window. Doesn't kill a process, especially not one that's frozen. Get a frozen/hanging process and alt+f4 won't always close the window.

Most Linux distros have alt+f4 too though
>>
Have you read the EULA for any recent Windows OS? When you click "agree", you're basically saying that "your" computer is now theirs now that you have Windows on it. This is especially true with W10.
>>
>>56974886
lmao doesn't even respond at times
>>
>>56974596
>>
>>56970729
>What's the appeal of Windows besides being a spying botnet? I just don't get it. It just makes everything unnecessarily confusing with all the live tiles I can't even install my own kernel.
>>
File: CV4K8.png (61KB, 642x469px) Image search: [Google]
CV4K8.png
61KB, 642x469px
>>56970729
> I just don't get it. It just makes everything unnecessarily confusing with all the terminal crap

Fine use ubuntu or mint then

> I can't even install drivers.

You don't need to, unless you want the proprietary GPU drivers in that case ubuntu and mint have a tool for that(see image)
>>
>>56971355
Accurate. As a dev I use linux because unlike windows I can get my whole toolkit working out of the box with minimal scripting and bandaids. Every compiler, debugger, text editor, and ide I need are free and native to linux. Most are preinstalled. Version control and other tools are also a simple affair.

Honestly I don't see why devs would use anything but linux unless they are gamers or photoshop users on the side.
>>
>>56971355
>For some, it is about ideology. This is stupid and you should ignore those people.

Why are you shills always trying to insist that software freedom isn't important? What do you have to gain from this?
>>
>>56975287
>Honestly I don't see why
C# (plus VSwhatever)
Swift and Objective-c
>>
>>56970729
It gives you more power over your system, you can configure stuff that you cannot in other operating systems.
Basically its a manual car. For 99% of the use cases its useless over an automatic transmission car, but with a skilled driver they can reach the limits automatic transmission cannot
>>
>>56970792

>Using windows
>Google's something
>Clicks first result
>PC locked by ransomware

>Using Linux
>Clicks every fucking link on the internet
>Still no viruses
>>
>>56975287
I can connect to wifi in about 20 seconds on windows
>>
File: op.png (81KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
81KB, 850x850px
>>56970729
I think you may just be retarded, or at the very least too lazy to learn new things. The Linux command line is super easy to use. It's only a matter of memorizing commands. If you need non-free drivers, download them from the distro website and extract them into the "firmware" directory of your installation media. If your disto does not offer a way to download non-free firmware, it's a shitty distro. I use Debian. It was very easy to install and it has been a breeze to maintain it. I use the command line like once a week for updates or installing new stuff. The command line is actually faster and more simple than digging through massive amounts of buttons, tabs, and drop down menus. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then I don't think you should touch computers anymore.
>>
File: screenshot1.png (731KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot1.png
731KB, 1280x768px
>>56970729

Every OS has its own ups and downs. You may complain about how Linux is complicated because there are cases where you have to use a terminal or not understand what is dpkg --reconfigure -a and how it can be a life saver but Window also has it fair share of bullshitry. There are times where it just makes you wonder why your PC suddenly starts crawling to death only for you to realise that the one who is responsible for doing that is a "Windows System Process".

You might justify that its because there's a virus on my computer or some ass cock reason. But the reality is because Windows is doing its stupid telemetry service or Windows Update is doing checks for new updates WHILE YOU ARE STILL DOING WORK.
>>
>>56975939
Do you actually use Haiku on a regular basis?
>>
GNU/Linux started as a Chinese bootleg version of Unix, but since this decade it has transitioned into being a Chinese bootleg version of Microsoft Windows. You should ignore it for your own mental health.

If you want a simple operating system with genuine Unix heritage, you should use Open BSD. It's boring and functional, which drives all the petulant children away to Linux.
>>
>>56975959

Yes. I maintain a server and a system written in PHP. This has a text editor, git and a diff tool. So no problem for me at all.

I'm attracted to this one because Linux doesnt like SiS chipsets. Seeing Haiku is mostly CPU intensive, this became my #1 choice for this machine :)
>>
>>56970760
Yes, there is a graphic repository and a gui for pretty much anything. The terminal is just for convenience. Nothing is comfier or easier than the terminal.
>>
>>56976000
>no drivers
>installing it on a system with another OS is literally black magic
>pretends to be superduper secure but isn't
>shit to no resources to resort to when something inevitably goes wrong with your setup
>megalomaniac twat at the helm

install linux
>>
>>56976483

>security culture worse than Microsoft before Blaster
>constant infighting and politics makes actual progress glacially slow
>updating the kernel won't break anything, but update randomLibrary and you're fucked
>solution to library problem? Don't update anything, backport security fixes
>new problem: libraries are so fucking old that your install gets left behind unless you paid Red Hat/Canonical a fuckload of money for a support contract, OR you have your own team of sysadmins and programmers whose sole job is maintain your distribution and to make the necessary patches...which costs a fucking ton of money.
>its so bad even Torvalds himself finds distributing software on Linux to be a major PITA
>X.org
>a million neckbeards remaking the same tools because they didn't like this one thing, or they don't like that its in GTK and demand it be in Qt, or because its not "libre", or maybe one of the devs called their mom a whore...
>meanwhile, just 10 nonautistic people working towards making this humongous pile of mismatched lego blocks called a Linux distribution actually usable without an advanced degree in voodoo magic, or the fixation of an autist to persevere through the poorly laid out wikis, google searches, complete lack of documentation in many cases, and trial and error to eventually understand how everything works be able to troubleshoot anything.
>meanwhile, distribution of software is still shit, shared libraries is fundamentally flawed, noone but corporations want to fix this because some weird conservatism thing going about the UNIX philosophy..... while also pacman -Syu -ing their system every half hour and having fucking /proc.
>shitty people that have an EQ of -100 and don't realize that, and expect everyone else around them to think in nested boolean logic
>>
>>56976000
>If you want a simple operating system with genuine Unix heritage
But here's the problem. I don't. Unix is a history. It's a flawed philosophy
>>
Fast as fuck. Hogs up less resources. Terminal is fun to use.

>>56970750
normie please go.
>>
>>56977016

>normie please go

autism at its finest
>>
>>56970729
>have SSD with read speeds of 550MBps in laptop
>debian and wangblows 10 installed on it
>debian boots in 5-6 seconds
>wangblows boots in 25-30 seconds
>>
>>56977044
>wangblows boots in 25-30 seconds
turn off gui boot
>>
>>56977044

>wangblows
>"debian"

hey congrats on installing ubuntu and welcome to the world of Linux, now go off and play the adults are talking
>>
>>56976981
then by all means enjoy linux

or as I've taken to calling it systemd + linux
>>
>>56971152
That chart doesn't prove shit.
>>
>>56975562
>Using Linux
>Clicks every fucking link on the internet
>Still no viruses

That's doesn't mean Linux is more secure. It's just that the OS not popular enough to be worth making malware/viruses for.
>>
>>56977135
so... it's secure since no one makes virus for it, because it'll remain unpopular

also
>implying devs don't fix security vulnerabilities quickly
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-10-08_10-17-49.png (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-10-08_10-17-49.png
243KB, 1920x1080px
>>56977060
>b-but muh sekrit klub

Cry me a river, faggot
>>
>>56977161
>no Tomorrow
>>
>>56977135

>It's just that the OS not popular enough to be worth making malware/viruses for.

oh it is anon, just not worth attacking desktops over. A lot of time and money is invested in attacks on Linux servers though, considering Linux is a very popular OS for servers.

oh and lets not forget all those IoT devices with shit security that were used for a terbit DDOS attack just recently, they run Linux too.

>tfw Linux on the desktop is so hopeless that not even malware bothers with it
>>
File: Spectacle.J17013.png (50KB, 722x528px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.J17013.png
50KB, 722x528px
>>56977072
I do, thanks
>>
>>56977161

>Cinnamon

jesus christ you couldn't have picked a more insecure piece of garbage
>>
>>56977201
What do you suggest?
>>
>>56977201
How is cinnamon insecure?
>>
Just think... in the time you wasted arguing on 4chan like 12 year olds, you could have read a few man pages and learned something useful.
>>
>>56977209
anything but Cinnamon, give Budgie a go. Its developed by a team that knows what they are doing, gets updated to fix CVEs rapidly, and is portable and friendly to other distributions.

>>56977213
>made by the Linux Mint team
>uses patched to all fucking hell GTK
>doesn't really help other distributions in porting (you can thank the awesome folks from Arch for doing a lot of that work)
>related: the DE is not very portable at all
>poor documentation
>distribution specific hacks and patches
>"stability" and conservatism above all else, security included
>they had to make their own versions of gnome apps because they couldn't patch them to keep working with their mess of patches.
>>
>>56977297

the thing that gets me is that MATE is none of these things, yet Linux Mint supports that as well to a lesser degree.
>>
File: 1475447190892.jpg (103KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1475447190892.jpg
103KB, 785x757px
>>56977297
>uses patched to all fucking hell GTK
What the fuck do you even suggest? It's vanilla gtk+
>related: the DE is not very portable at all
Is that why Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, other meme distros and even FreeBSD has Cinnamon?
>poor documentation
It's revamped GNOME
>they had to make their own versions of gnome apps because they couldn't patch them to keep working with their mess of patches.
That's when they became an independant project from gnome 3.

Fucking newfag doesn't even know what he's talking about. And how the fuck is it insecure?
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.