[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any real performance drawbacks in these shorter cards?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: image.png (232KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
232KB, 640x960px
Is there any real performance drawbacks in these shorter cards?
My huge ass 670 just shit the bed and I can barely remove it without pulling something else out of the mobo.
>>
>>56970033
No, why would there be, maybe less factory OC but who needs that crap.
>>
>>56970075
Idk but thanks.
>>
>>56970033
>Is there any real performance drawbacks in these shorter cards?
Not for that particular card. It's a good performer.
>>
>>56970075

Probably this. I have one of those EVGA video cards. (a 960 GTX). I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

I imagine the only thing I'm missing is some extra heatsink material/additional fans.
>>
I wish they'd just make a good smart phone with a physical keyboard.
>>
Little hotter, less OC potential but not much else besides that.
You can always look into a dual fan but still shorter card. If you have a small case and temps may be an issue
>>
>>56970033
Nice, what's a powerlink?
>>
one less fan.
That's it.
You can say less overclocking potential, less heat dissipation or quicker throttling but all that stems from the one single problem with short cards, less fans.
That being said, many modern cards are fairly low power and fairly efficient already
>>
less fan means hotter which means less OC but if you're getting a 1060 you're probably not too concerned with it performing super well when it gets old enough to start OCing

it's going to run 1080p AAA games for a couple of years and not be as tinker-friendly when you want to get more out of it on the back end
>>
>>56971399
How long's a couple? Literally two or we're meaning 4 years of acceptable non enthusiast levels of fidelity?

My 750 ti has lasted me two of acceptable performance.
>>
>>56971443
If ultra maxed out setting are a requirement then I doubt it'll last 2 years
If high-medium settings are good enough for you then at 1080p 60HZ the 1060 should last you as long as the processor
>>
>>56971443
>750 ti
Are those still viable?

t. Poorfag
>>
>>56970608
>Little hotter, less OC potential

Nope. Having owned both the SC and now the Gigabyte ITX OC 1060s, they overclock as well as any other model. My SC did just over 2.1GHz stable and so does the ITX OC. Huge coolers for the 1060 are a meme.

The Gigabyte card is better than the EVGA one though. It runs 8-9 degrees cooler and is just as quiet. It's just not as popular because they didn't bother to send any review samples out. I could find almost zero information on it before buying, but wanted the form factor and was put off buying another SC after my first one failed.
>>
>>56971616
And if I treated my self to a 1070 without buying into being high end 4 lyf? That should last about the same?

yeah they pretty much are, I'm more about frame rate than graphics.

>>56971661
Just about, I am squeezing my 750ti 2gb windforce as much as I can. Some would suggest an RX 470 4gb in those circumstances.
>>
>>56970033
The drawback is less heatsink room, only one fan, and if the card runs hot it will have issues faster requiring more cleaning than other cards.

beyond the heat issues, no there is no performance drawback .
>>
>>56971443
you can probably play(i.e. low/medium settings at good resolutions) for 3-4 years but the 1060 is not a super powerful card and equivalents from 2-3 years ago are now basically obsolete.

budget cards get budget performance. if you don't play AAA games often you may get 4 or 5 years out of it just because you don't find a game in 2018/19 to upgrade for.
>>
>>56971767
>heat issues

My maximum temperature was 70 degrees after running the Fire Strike stress test a few times earlier with the Gigabyte ITX OC, with a maximum fan speed of 1690RPM. The 1060 just doesn't get very hot, even with a relatively tiny cooler.

Although there are some real bad ITX versions with terrible heatsinks that don't have any heatpipes, like the non-SC EVGA card. The cooler on that one is so bad that it actually thermal throttles.
>>
>>56970033
nothing wrong with short gpus

mostly thanks to the new process node dropping TDP

pretty interested to see what further reductions HBM can bring. 12" 350w pcbs are horrible.
>>
>>56971940
>Although there are some real bad ITX versions with terrible heatsinks that don't have any heatpipes, like the non-SC EVGA card. The cooler on that one is so bad that it actually thermal throttles.

Wow, really? I've always had good experiences with EVGA's thermals/build quality. That's shocking.
>>
>>56971714
I can't find any reviews of the itx OC 1070.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.