[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've done something without knowing what i got into >have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Xubuntu_logo_-_old.svg.png (146KB, 2000x2070px) Image search: [Google]
Xubuntu_logo_-_old.svg.png
146KB, 2000x2070px
I've done something without knowing what i got into

>have a desk pc running win10 for games
>i have the win7 install CD, but winshit auto-updated while i took a shower
>wanted linux on the same computer
>bought second hdd (so that i can have a lot of space on both OS)
>chaged the cables from windows hdd to blank hdd
>installed linux like it was the only storage space (tecnically it was)
>can't boot windows anymore if i put the wires in the original position (duh!)
>relised my mistake
>i prefer not to lose my windows files once again

What should i do /g/?

pic related: my current linux distribution
>>
>>56965573
Xubuntu is sweet man.

>something something I fucked up simple stuff
>What should i do /g/?
Probably not, worst case unplug one of the HDs so you don't fuck up again since you don't know where you install what from what it seems.
>>
>>56965620
i have only one HDD plugged at a time

do you think if i plug in both hdd at the same time, and reinstalling linux, the bios problem will fix itself?
>>
>>56965573
install gentoo
>>
>>56965707
my neckbeard doesn't quit reach the floor, yet somehow i can't see how that will change anything

besides i have already tried 3 different distributions

>>56965620
also, i have partitionned many hdd in the past (oh sweet middle school past where i tried so many different linux distros)

so i believe my problem is limited to the bios (but i may be wrong)
>>
if you had a single disk installed originally, and you had a single other disk installed when you installed xubuntu, then windows will be fully intact, you just need to tell your bios to boot from that, or, configure grub on your linux disk to provide a boot entry to start windows from the other disk (normally this is done automatically, but naturally it can't set that up when your windows disk was not installed)
>>
>>56965751
>so i believe my problem is limited to the bios (but i may be wrong)
If you don't use uefi then it's literally a grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg away. it will autodetect all installed operating systems.
I have no clue how uefi works since my rig was built one year before uefi was mainstream.
>>
>>56965807
Yes, that's precisely my problem, windows is intact, but i don't know how to set up my bios so that it can boot windows
>>
Hijacking this thread for a question.

I also use Xubuntu but on a tablet and is there a way to turn long clicks into simulated right clicks?
So that when I touch a link for a second or two the right click menu pops up.

Is something like this possible in Xubuntu while being a total noob?
>>
>>56965830
I don't have uefi because when i installed windows, the little bitch didn't want it

But thanks, i'll give it a try, i'll tell you how it went in ~30min
>>
>>56965830
There are UEFI bootloaders that will auto grab all OSes on all drives. Clover is what I used.

Just look up dual boot Win10 Ubuntu and you will see several clear articles on how this works - ezpz
>>
>>56965573
There is a thread for retarded questions like that...
>>
File: a.png (11KB, 720x813px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
11KB, 720x813px
>>56965847
the exact key to bring up the boot selection menu on your motherboard will be in your mother board manual, or possibly on the first screen it displays on boot up (POST)
however, it's commonly one of F9 through F12, so you could also just try those and see what happens

you can keep doing this, though it might be more convinient to have the linux bootloader (xubuntu comes with GRUB2) to show a windows option in addition to xubuntu
finding information on how to do this should be very easy, use google (though keep in mind the windows disk will need to be installed for it to be able to automatically find it when generating a new grub config file)

pic related, my desktop grub boot menu
>>
>>56966235
>it's f11 form me, but it didn't show windows
>>
>>56966280
can you confirm the windows disk is accessible while in xubuntu?
you should be able to mount and browse its files ootb

if you're using UEFI then i probably can't help you, i'm entirely unfamiliar with how that works
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
This shows up when i boot on the win hdd

I did >>56965830 's command
But no windows partition shows up on the boot menu
>>
>>56966349
Try installing grub again
>grub-install /dev/sda (not sda1,2,3)
Make sure that this disk actually contains the boot partition
Also make sure that your mainboard tries to boot from this disk first.
>grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
run this while your linux install is running and make sure that boot is mounted in /boot and that it contains your kernel.
That thing should also mention what it has found on your system.
>reboot and profit
>>
>>56965573
>Acting first, ask later
Rescatux and similar distros can fix GRUB/MBR automagically, if there is something left to be restored. :^)
>>
Client got hit with crypto
This is guys email is:
[email protected]
And thats all he has to decrypt
Anyone knows this sperman guy? Can you help find the dekcrypt key.
Thanks fellow victoms of crypto
>>
>>56967152
tell your client fire up them backups
if they have none, tell them to fire up them wallets
if they have none, tell them to fire up them tear ducts
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.