[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are graphics cards so overpriced? Some are even more expensive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

Why are graphics cards so overpriced? Some are even more expensive than a games console.
>>
A lot of R&D goes into them and their sales are lower than many other components.
>>
>>56962927
This and the fact that people keep buying them at that price.
>>
from what i understand, console manufacturers makes most of their money through game sales (as they control who can release on their platform)
the hardware themselves are sold for little to no profit
>>
>>56962912
That's like saying a Mercedes is overpriced because it costs a lot more than a Volkswagen. iPhone 7 costs 800 bucks, but it's not overpriced just because you can get a budget smartphone for a quarter of that. If you buy a graphics card that costs more than $400, you get one that is several leagues ahead of consoles. And if you took the graphics chip of the PS4 Pro and sold it in an individual graphics card, it could only compete with low-tier cards like an R9 390 or GTX 960. It's basically obsolete out of box, that's why it's cheap.
>>
>>56962999
Meant to say R9 290. PS4 Pro won't be able to compete with a $300 card.
>>
File: 1475012033749.png (45KB, 231x277px) Image search: [Google]
1475012033749.png
45KB, 231x277px
>>56962999
>Low teir
>390
>>
>>56962946
In fact, consoles are sold on loss.
>>
There is a lot of enthusiasm for GPUs among a fairly small demographic, and they need to make money off of the enthusiasts to continue the 1 year development cycle that has big enough gains in performance to make it worth producing a new card.

As long as the enthusiasm for gains in GPU performance remain, nvidia and radeon will keep racing to produce them, and the prices will stay high because that price is needed for these bonkers development cycles we've seen in the last 5 or 6 years.

It's supply and demand, in other words.

Cards like the 1060 exist at very reasonable, affordable prices for average consumer use. The 1070 works well for enthusiasts using higher resolutions. The 1080/Titan are showboats, and also the first real(IMO) step towards using 4k for graphically intensive processes. I think we're still a generation or two from 4k as the standard enthusiast platform, but people buying 1080s and titans are supporting that dream.
>>
A GTX 1080 costs like 800€ in my country. At that price I might as well put myself in the same category as those weird ass audiophiles or something stupid like that.
>>
>>56963033
it was true for ps3 and for m$ x360 but only because all m$ were dying with RROD.

but today sony is making $$$$ on each console since ps4 premiere

ps3 cell cost so much to develop that they lost financial balance
>>
>>56962999

the ps4pro graphics card is probably equal to a 285/380 in performance, its no where fucking near a 290which btw has similar performance to a overclocked 970
>>
>>56963028
Hes right the 390 is low tier.
>>
>>56962912
>Why are graphics cards so overpriced?
Are they now? The high end of the market is because there's no competition. The lower price points where both major manufacturers offer good value cars aren't overpriced. Comparison to a gaming console is nonsensical. Something costing a lot doesn't make it overpriced.
>>
File: 20161007_084646.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_084646.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
You can get them at decent prices if you shop around
>>
>>56963124
A 1060 costs almost $1000 in mine.
>>
>>56963420
Is that brazil or something? That's outrageous.
>>
>>56963431
Argentina. As a rule of thumb, PC components cost almost twice the amount they cost in USA.
>>
>>56963518
i think you are exaggerating, you can get. 1060 for $450 usd in brazil

a 1080 is what costs $1000 usd here
>>
>>56963679
You are right. The last time I checked was that price (a few days after release in USA), but it seem to have dropped to about $520.
>>
They're more expensive than game consoles because they're more powerful than games consoles by a factor of 2-5x
>>
>>56963376

This. The $200 price point is fiercely competed.

A 1060 or 480 will get you excellent gaming capability for the price.
>>
Graphics cards are really for enthusiasts like people are saying in other posts.

What should should you should you do when you buy a graphics card. Companies already know what enthusiasts do:

>upgrade thermal paste
>upgrade thermal pads (or just place the old ones better)
>put on a water block (If you are a real nigga)
>Overclock that shit
>>
>>56963124
>>56963420
What about AMD :^)?
>>
>>56963033
>>56963182
Iirc, the current generation of consoles is the first to be sold from the outset with a profit per console. Notice how well that's working out that they both need incremental upgrades half a cycle later.
>>
>>56962927
this is a paid shill
no more research goes into them than would go into the research of motherboards and cpu's and yet comparitively motherboards and cpu's are far cheaper
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.