[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't anyone release something like an SBC with 4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 0

Why doesn't anyone release something like an SBC with 4 mediatek Helio x10s or snapdragon 820s or some shit for low power consumption video editing?

Helio x10 should be cheap now and has 8 real cores and decent CPU performance and the whole board shouldn't be more than 20w peak with 4 of them. Or SD820 because it doesn't have any of that big.little rubbish.
>>
>>56959500
Because the Xeon-D 1587 exists which despite using more power has like 10X the performance. That and it supports x86 software.

So you can either do video editing on an angry birds processor limited to 240p resolution on a SBC running debian mobile on a video editor that crashes at least 100 times a second OR you can do video editing on a super energy efficient x86 processor that can do 8K video editing on a desktop OS in an x86 video editor that just fucking works.
>>
>>56959555
But how much would the xeon cost and what's included in that cost?

The mediatek board shouldn't cost more than ~150 dollars with 4 CPUs and 3GB ram per CPU(12GB)

It'll be like a mini cheap cluster.
The xeon will probably destroy it in performance, but that's not the only metric people look at when deciding what to buy.
>>
>>56959613
>But how much would the xeon cost and what's included in that cost?
Over $2,000 but if you're legitimately serious about low power consumption video editing ti would be a superb investment.

>The mediatek board shouldn't cost more than ~150 dollars with 4 CPUs and 3GB ram per CPU(12GB)
>It'll be like a mini cheap cluster.
lmao

>The xeon will probably destroy it in performance, but that's not the only metric people look at when deciding what to buy.
Yeah they also look at software support, especially x86 software support which your imaginary angry birds SBC lacks.
>>
>>56959500

That negress is channeling my inner Thomas Jefferson.
>>
>>56959685
What's your beef with ARM?
>>
>>56959685
What do you have against arm?
I can edit images and mp3 files just fine on my 3 year old Nexus 5.
>>
>>56959946
>>56959975
Nothing just that what OP wants to use it for is fucking retarded. ARM is a cpu architecture for low power and low performance per watt processors designed to let you simple things on a phone. As soon as you start getting into useful things like video editing ARM shits itself with constant throttling on shitty software not even 1/100th as good as the desktop x86 counterpart.
>>
>>56959985
>low power
Isn't that what op is after?

I'm pretty sure an sbc plugged into an AC outlet won't throttle. Does a raspberry pi throttle?
>>
>>56959997
>Isn't that what op is after?
Yes but he thinks he will be able to edit 1080p video which would be extremely painful as the performance per watt is extremely horrible on ARM. Yeah ARM uses very little electricity but this comes at cost: raw computer performance.

>I'm pretty sure an sbc plugged into an AC outlet won't throttle.
>His imaginary SBC uses many ARM cores running above 2 GHz with no active cooling.

>Does a raspberry pi throttle?
OP isn't talking about the shit pi with worse performance than a $20 wallmart phone.
>>
>>56959500
SD820 is big.little though. 2 high performance cores and 2 energy efficient ones.
>>
>>56960030
No it isn't.

It's the same arch, just 2 fast 2 slow iirc, instead of big.little deciding which pair to put on all 4 can run together
>>
>>56960077
>just 2 fast 2 slow
Literally big.little. Only the early big.little designs couldn't run all cores simultaneously.
>>
>>56960131
I thought the point of big.little was that they weren't meant to run simultaneously?
This is new to me
>>
>>56959555
But snapdragon 820 offers xbox 360 performance, are you daft?
>>
Damn nugga you look fine
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.