[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's a good method of getting internet on a boat? I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 1474857524089.gif (259KB, 734x551px) Image search: [Google]
1474857524089.gif
259KB, 734x551px
What's a good method of getting internet on a boat?

I don't want to pay several dollars a gigabyte for mobile (what would the range of that be anyway?), but I've heard that satellite is also expensive.
>>
>>56958660
Smartphone on 4g plan?
>>
how big a boat are we talkin'?
>>
>>56958676
I've never seen a mobile data plan for less than several dollars a gigabyte.

>>56958682
75' schooner.
>>
tow your boat near a starbucks
>>
>>56958688
If you want internet worldwide satellite is your only choice, and it's expensive. Best to limit your internet usage to important shit until you're in port. On the open seas you've probably got better shit to be doing anyway.

need any crew..?
>>
>>56958765
I'm not the captain, I'm just concerned about the fact that the boat is getting converted into an office and we don't have a good plan for getting internet when we're not parked next to a city.

So how expensive exactly for satellite?
>>
Longest spool of cat6 you can find
>>
satellite internet
>>
>>56959591
>not reading the entirety of a two-sentence OP
>>
>>56958812
The fuck

Are you part of the Scientology Sea Org?
>>
>>56959989
No, it's cheaper than any other option.
>>
>>56958812
How far out at sea?
>>
File: 1300044776986.jpg (17KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1300044776986.jpg
17KB, 250x250px
>>56958660
Tap into the underwater cable system bruh!
>>
>>56960038
Dunno, anywhere from 10 metres to a thousand kilometres.
>>
>>56958688
If the plan is for a business you might get faster internet with an unlimited option and competitive to satellite

You can use a 4g router

You'll have connection pretty much anywhere with satellite though (until it gets cloudy)
>>
>>56960690
Those are your two options though
MAYBE you could get away with a Wimax plan
>>
>>56960690
I have never heard of an unlimited mobile plan.
Would that even work in the South Pacific?
>>
>>56958660
Well since water conducts electricity why not cut the wire in half, put one end on the shore and one on the boat?
>>
>>56960715
If you can get an antenna/dish then quite possibly and there area bunch if islands and shit around too so you could a lot of options for providers.
>>
>>56958660
In port, you can use 4g or a directional wifi antenna to scoop up starbucks/mcdonalds wifi.

At sea, satellite is your only option for data. You should still have general radio capabilities over shortwave.
>>
File: image.png (314KB, 1280x786px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
314KB, 1280x786px
>>56960746
here is a picture
>>
>>56960751
(cont.)

http://www.groundcontrol.com/MCD-4800_BGAN_Terminal.htm

Here's a link OP. It's going to run you several dollars a megabyte, but it will work literally anywhere. You'd want to limit your communications to just basic text emails, to stretch out your data usage.

Again, you can also use shortwave for unlimited free voice communication, but it's not guaranteed to get to your destination.
>>
I sailed quite a stretch and our captain had satellite internet. We used it for 3 things:
-getting weather info
-personal email
-updating the boat's blog with pics and text

You never actually use the internet to browse anything, that would be expensive as fuck. You do all your work offline, and when you got everything ready, turn internet on, send all the data packets, receive all the packets that might be coming your way, then turn it off. I don't remember the price, but it didn't turn out to be that much. But if you want a continuous stream, then yeah, it's gonna cost you.
>>
More interesting question:

How do I host a website from the middle of the sea?
>>
>>56960902
You
>Pay tens of thousands of dollars for sat internet, terrible idea, ultra slow connection and multiple dollars per MB
or
>Host it in a datacenter and administer it from sea
>>
>>56960891
So satellite internet is charged by time rather than data used?
>>
>>56960828
Voice communication has a high as fuck datarate, and the protocols have been used for internet before; that's literally what dial up was.
Why can't I use it for shitposting as well as voice communication?
>>
>>56961065
no, sorry if I gave that impression. It is charged by data. What I'm saying is, we didn't use a browser to just click-click-click our way through shit and fuck around, we had 3 specific things we would use sat internet for, and they were through specific apps provided by the satellite company.

We didn't access our email directly through whatever email client we used, we had a special app configured to receive email forwarded by our accounts, and then we would select from there which ones we wanted to download and open.
>>
>>56960826
Underrated post
>>
>ITT: OP wants to dump a corpse in the middle of international waters and post it on /b/
>>
>>56961289
No, it's just that inability to shitpost stresses me out.
>>
Nya nya on a boat
Meow meow while afload
>>
>>56958660
Satellite is the cheapest since GSM and the sea go together like fire and water.

However it's still around 40$ depending on the service.

Iridium is pretty based when it comes to world wide service.
>>
>>56962799
>$40
Per what?
Month?
Gigabyte?
>>
>>56960746
Why not radio?
>>
>>56965090
Seconding this.
I figure that if you make a transmitter 1000x more powerful, and a receiver 1000x more receptive, the distance you can pick up a given signal strength is 1000x further; quite neat, thanks to the inverse-square law.

And then at a high enough frequency you might be able to narrow your signals somewhat for more efficiency, as long as the transmitter knows where the boat is.
>>
>>56959516
Honestly, would fiber work?
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.