[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 39

File: pug.png (1MB, 1019x957px) Image search: [Google]
pug.png
1MB, 1019x957px
>>
Using Firefox for Android, I get this message on some 'standard' websites when trying to watch videos:

>no video with supported mime type found

yet they work fine in chrome.
>>
Anyone know a good reclining chair that is:
>NOT leather
>has a weight capacity of 250-300 lbs (~110-140kg)
>can also spin

As an added bonus:
>has wheels. But this is NOT necessary

I REALLY need a computer chair that can also replace my bed.

I've heard DxRacer is good, but I've also heard it's bad for your back, and that the seller sometimes ships with missing parts...

Anyone know something that would be good for about 16/7? (16h/d, 7d/wk)
>>
Reasking >>56955875
>>
>>56956049
Is it a flash movie?
I heard somewhere that a couple browsers disable flash by default now.
Try checking Firefox's flash settings.

Also, Firefox sucks dick; try checking your default browser settings.
>>
>>56956023
How do I get to view source code for windows phone and edit the line of code that's responsible for forcing updates and restarting the device?
>>
>>56956049
Is Vivaldi still laggy?
>>
Something terrible has happened to my windows 10 meme machine, I can't get into it.

I don't care if I need to whip it's just my game machine and all that's on steam cloud, I just need to get the fuck in.
>>
>>56956090
>How do I get to view source code
Well normally, you would go to the distro's websi-
>windows phone
Never mind then!
>>
>>56956087
html5.
>>
>>56956190
hmmm....

I don't actually use FF, and I haven't even touched it since like 27 or 28...
Does FF support HTML5 video?
I mean, I know it sounds stupid to ask, but really, other than how terrible of a time I had with FF, I don't really know much about it.
Is it enabled in the flags, maybe?
>>
>>56956301
It must do, because most mobile sites play video fine.
>>
I want to make money easy, what easy programming language do i learn?
>>
Hey guys, I'm looking to rip a bunch of images off of a certain wiki for a project. Now I'm totally new to this. I'm not sure if I should be scraping or crawling. If anyone has some knowledge and is willing to help, let me know. I'll be around

(Operating on windows)
>>
I need a machine powerful enough to run solidworks and video rendering. Is a laptop a bad choice? If so what is the cheapest build I could get? (Budget around 500usd but could go above if it's worth it)
>>
>>56956342
hmmm... I don't know then sorry.
>>
>>56956113
>can't get into it

what does that mean? Don't know the password? Black screen? A demon pops up and laughs at you?
>>
File: Untitled.png (10KB, 655x207px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
10KB, 655x207px
pls help me /g/

where do I get this without getting malware
>>
>>56956670
What application are you trying to run that's giving you this problem?
>>
>>56956460
You can do light video editing on most anything, but for heavier stuff you probably want a desktop with a workstation card, and not at a budget of $500. Whatever you spend, you'll get more for your $ on a desktop.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9167359-refurb-dell-precision-t3420-sff-workstation-core-i7-6700-amd-firepro-w4100-2gb-16gb-ddr4-500gb-sata-win10pro-3yrs-warranty-730-5-shipping?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

slickdeals.net/f/9163435-dell-outlet-30-to-35-off-dell-outlet-prices-starts-10-05-16-at-9-00-a-m-e-t?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1https://slickdeals.net/f/9163435-dell-outlet-30-to-35-off-dell-outlet-prices-starts-10-05-16-at-9-00-a-m-e-t?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
>>
>>56956705
clip studio paint, trying to run the .exe to install it
>>
>>56956362
there are browser addons for bulk image saving.
>>
What do you do when you just got out of the bathroom and your hands are still a little bit wet and somebody offers you a handshake?

I always feel super awkward when this happens.
>>
>>56956728
Any personal recommendations?
>>
>>56956755
I just tell them I touched my anus 30 seconds ago.
>>
Is android a rolling release OS?
>>
>>56956720
Oh I see. Um, you can download it from online, you just have to be careful with the sites you choose. If you're not comfortable with that, try redownloading the package. If you pirated it then try another version
>>
>>56956755
rub them dry on your pants then shake the person's hand.
>>
someone once mentioned hacking an AM3 board to take AM3+ chips, anyone have more info on that?
>>
sometimes when i go to upload a picture, my mouse disappears from the dialogue box and i have to either find out where it is or use the keyboard, and that's not very fun.
what causes this and how can i prevent it from happening?
>>
File: 889337.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
889337.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
Hello dear friends from glorious America, Slav bro here. Please tell me, is the green bubble thing just a popular twitter meme or are teenagers in USA actually this retarded?

https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=%22green%20bubbles%22&src=typd
>>
>>56957033
biedaciota
>>
>>56956023
how to get into machine learning?
>>
Will Starbucks ever block me for torrenting on their internet?
>>
How the fuck do I get two separate wallpapers with Nova Launcher? I've been looking everywhere and can't find anything.
>>
>>56957093
If you make it obvious
>>
>>56957033
american teenagers are absolutely retarded
t. american
>>
>>56957135
You could try doing something with KLWP.
>>56957151
What do you mean by obvious?
>>
>>56957093
If you take up a bunch of data, they will block your mac address.

If you're using GNU/linux, you can bypass that, though.
https://github.com/alobbs/macchanger

Or if you use windows:
https://technitium.com/tmac/ (haven't used it and it looks a bit sketchy, but it's what I found)
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-07-01-43-04.png (70KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-07-01-43-04.png
70KB, 720x1280px
new to flud. why isnt this shit loading the metadata? piratebay said it has 5 seeders
>>
>>56957159
I've taken the two wallpapers I've wanted, slapped them in photoshop, and made it one,1080x2160 image. Shit still doesn't work with Nova.
>>
Hey, just got a T430 (wrong thread amirite?) and it's my first ever laptop and I'm just wondering if I should keep it plugged into the outlet while its in sleep mode? And should I let it sleep instead of turning it completely off?

It has an SSD so boot times are not that severe either.
>>
>>56957282
In KLWP, you can make it so the background changes when you swipe left or right, at least from what I remember.
>>
>>56957302
ty, ill try it out
>>
>>56957297
>should keep it plugged into the outlet while its in sleep mode
Depends on when you put it in sleep mode.

If it's just overnight, then it will likely last the whole night in sleep mode. You could try testing this if you wanted to see how long it lasts.

If you had to ask me, I'd say shutting it down is better than leaving it in safe mode, just because I've had tons of problems with my laptop deciding to either go into sleep mode or just deciding not to go into sleep mode and letting the battery drain to 0. It's not the same laptop as yours (or even a thinkpad), but either saving the session and shutting down or just shutting down is my recommendation.

Treat the battery nicely, though. You should already know what rules to follow regarding charging and such (otherwise you wouldn't of asked this question).
>>
File: 1467033999213.png (2MB, 1177x783px) Image search: [Google]
1467033999213.png
2MB, 1177x783px
sup lads, apologies is this sounds extra stupid.

looking to build a new cheapish workstation for my old man's business, but i've only had experience building gaymen PC.

as far as GPUs go, should i be looking something with integrated graphics, or is a dedicated GPU a better options? he also uses dual screens, if that changes anything.

also, if i set up a RAID storage thingo for him on the home/business network, is there any way that data can be secured without having to teach him anything more complex than entering a password to access it?
>>
>>56957251
Never used that specific app, but piratebay could be reporting the stats wrong, have outdated info, or some of those seeders might not be connectable for whatever reason. Or the app could just be fucked somehow, as I said never used it, but might be worth trying on a PC with your usual client of choice on the same torrent to be sure it's not that.

Also if you're trying to download from a public wifi they could block or throttle torrents, this is a pretty common practice nowadays. Even in places like hotels they are pretty commonly throttled.
>>
>>56957386
If he's doing 3D or whatever, than the GPU would be necessary. I can run dual monitors fine on integrated Skylake graphics.
>>
>>56957302
KLWP isn't communicating with Nova for some reason. I've tried other multiwallpaper apps, but Nova won't let them through.
>>
Will it hurt my phone's battery life any to leave it on and plugged in all night, every night?

Some guys on android forum suggested this as a "solution" to my problem of having to enter my password every time I boot up due to the changes in a newer firmware version. Don't particularly like this idea, since I liked giving my phone and battery a break while I slept, but curious what the ramifications would be.
>>
What's the best Bachelors degree path to become a InfoSec Manager? or IT Manager?
I'll be adding certs after I get my degree
>>
Why are my webm's coming out larger then the input source?
ffmpeg -loglevel panic -n -i "$0" -preset ultrafast -vf scale=640:-1 -b:v 1M -an -sn -vcodec libvpx -cpu-used 5 -threads 8 -crf 51 -fs 1.9M -movflags +faststart
>>
>>56957433
Doesn't really matter
>>
>>56957438
Most people don't really care that much what your major was. Hell, even what school you went to is only really relevant for your first job, after then they care much more about work experience than that kind of thing.
>>
>>56957452
So I can do less math intensive IT vs. Compsci?

There's a uni right next to me that offers IT with a cyber-sec emphasis.

Then there's a Uni farther away from me that offers a Compsci degree with an Information Assurance focus and is NSA certified
>>
File: Faxfilters.jpg (3MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
Faxfilters.jpg
3MB, 4288x3216px
I have these faxfilters that were used from 2004 to 2008 when I had dial up connection on my home. I don't know why these were bought in the first place, as there are no faxes machines on my home. They are not working as ADSL filters. Should I fix/change them so it can work as an ADSL filter? Is it worth?
>>
What are the last (two) Intel tick-tock processor families that support DDR3? The 2500K is well loved but it's hard to justify buying new components that old.
>>
I'm going to learn C, what books should I get?
>>
>>56957492
Why Intel instead of AMD?
>>
>>56957546
Wiki has 2 recommended books, its at the top of the page.
>>
>>56957492
Skylake technically supports DDR3 but RAM is cheap, why do you care?
>>
if i hate math and i'm terrible at it, would forcing myself to learn programming be a bad idea?
>>
>>56956023
Stupid question
But do can you use different GPU OC and monitors for different cards?
Like can I use MSI Afterburner on a Gigabyte card?
>>
I made a recording with 3 audio tracks that can be extracted separately after recording. One for voice, one for desktop audio, one for other/etc. I accidentally allowed the desktop audio to play in the other tracks that it wasn't supposed to be in.

Is there any way to use the desktop audio track to isolate and possibly remove the same audio from the tracks I don't want it to be in?
>>
>>56957620
No.

The few times you'll ever use math for basic or intermediate programs, you'll find it's rather straightforward to actually do it or find something on SO (stack overflow) or just anywhere else.

Depending on what you end up programming, math could either start getting really complex really fucking quickly (anything involving any sort of graphics at all, anything that requires reading environment values, etc.), but for software development and web development and such, there's not too much math to be worried about.
>>
If I work in IT , will I be on-call everyday?
>>
File: dos.png (123KB, 1362x838px) Image search: [Google]
dos.png
123KB, 1362x838px
Just installed this, what are some things I can do to mess around with it and learn?
>>
File: ok.png (60KB, 673x402px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
60KB, 673x402px
I'm installing Wine and this showed up in terminal.
I've tried clicking ok, hitting enter, 'y', space, I don't know what to do.
>>
Why have Google services been so incredibly slow the past few days?
>>
>>56957711
thanks for the answer
i want to make a vidya at some point in my life but i can't grasp anything past simple geometry and any sort of algebra causes me to just give up
>>
>>56957786
Tab
>>
where do i get unix
>>
>>56957786
tab enter
>>
>>56957827
>>56957845
/g/, my boys, thank you.
>>
USB devices randomly disconnect and reconnect, while some ports just don't work (but register devices being plugged in/ ejected). I already tried changing power settings to prevent usb sleeping and reinstalled the usb drivers for my mobo, but neither did anything.

It appears that the problem has something to do with windows, since I tried to replicate (random stutters and disconnects) it in knoppix but couldn't.
>>
>>56956023
So, browsers autoupgrade all the time in windows and what not.
How do non-rolling release distros cope with that? The browser is not something you can have to outdated usually.
>>
If I buy a macbook and beeeeets and iPhone will I get gf? :'(
>>
>>56957800
Remember how I said "anything involving any sort of graphics at all"?

With games you're going to have to deal with vectors (directions + a magnitude) and matrices (n-dimensional arrays) which involves linear algebra (more painful version of precalc).

You'll find, though, the math gets easier the more you program with it. Don't give up just because there's going to be bumps in the road later on, you're not going to be building games that require much linear algebra for a while.

Also,
>some point in my life
Just start now, there's nothing stopping you.
>>
>>56958113
thanks again

>there's nothing stopping you.
yes there is, my crippling laziness ;_;
also college
>>
>>56956023
I want to work in tech, preferably from home - I'm willing to buy books and learn but not go to college what do I do?
>>
>>56958132
I don't know how you could be lazy at learning something you want to learn.

I mean, I'm very lazy. I frequently put everything off, even when I know I don't have any time left. I pretty much never did my homework in school, and I knew that was hurting me, but I did nothing about it.

I still liked learning some stuff, though. I taught myself a bit of calculus (looking back, I didn't end up that proficient at it, but I wouldn't be here today if I didn't do that), taught myself Java (for the school robotics team), as well as some random history and other computer stuff.

You have to choose at least one path in life:
>do shit you don't like and don't waste time on shit you do like
>do shit you don't like and shit you like
>don't do shit you don't like and do shit you do like
>don't do anything at all

Three of those paths end with you being successful, and only two of those three paths end with a happy life. By the sounds of it, you don't even end up in those three paths.
>>
>>56958223
it's probably me not really wanting to do anything at all whether i like the thing or not
it's been that way for some years
>>
File: stoopid.jpg (64KB, 789x785px) Image search: [Google]
stoopid.jpg
64KB, 789x785px
What are your favorite programming-related blogs or YouTube channels?
>>
>>56957890
Possible virus? If you're positive you don't have a virus, you likely corrupted something in windows. You probably should backup all your files, reformat, reinstall windows 7 (or gentoo). Of course, you should still research online for it, if you haven't already.

>>56958094
Updates in firefox and such don't require a full reinstall, it only requires a single file or so to be changed. There's usually an update available every so often in non rolling release distros, just because the dependencies don't change that much, and therefore it can recompile or just make a simple edit every so often.

>>56958138
>I'm willing to buy books and learn but not go to college what do I do?

Go to college and just use the books. Skip the lectures if possible and read instead. You could also just read the books first, then take a proficiency test or whatever it's called and get moved up pretty far.

>>56958283
I understand how that feels, and I really don't know how to help you. When I was a kid, I was prescribed vyvanse, which pretty much took over my work ethic. If I don't take my medicine for a week or so, I'll start becoming apathetic and will lose my work ethic. I hate what vyvanse does to my personality and I hate what it does to my body, but the only way I get motivation to do something is with vyvanse. Because of that, I have no idea how to help you without the use of drugs, which I also don't recommend. Vyvanse, for me, also removed a bit of depression (not really, it's still there, but I don't focus on it as much anymore). You could see a therapist or psychiatrist, which I'm surprised I spelled correctly. They'll probably help you out more than my blogpost here will.
>>
>>56958356
Then I don't understand non-rolling releases at all, do you know where I could get more information on that?
I mean, I thought I would never get updates besides security patches here and there.
>>
>>56958426
http://www.howtogeek.com/192939/linux-distribution-basics-rolling-releases-vs.-standard-releases/

Either way, you can still update through the actual application itself:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version

Every so often, though, major updates will be pushed to the main tree (e.g. python)
>>
>>56958356
i personally think a *ist would be a waste of time, because it was when i was younger (to this day i still don't know why i had to go to one) but i guess i could give that a shot
how does that drug work? does it just motivate you to do stuff?
>>
Is 44℃ normal idle temp for a sandy i3 ?
>>
>>56958644
Forgot to mention i use stock cooler
>>
>>56958601
>how does that drug work? does it just motivate you to do stuff?

Vyvanse, or lisdexamphetamine, stimulates the CNS (centeral nervous system) which causes a more alert and wakeful feeling. Because of this, you can focus on a specific task better. It doesn't actually make you any better at the task, nor does it provide a sense of urgency to complete a task, but it does allow you to tune everything else out and focus on one thing for a very long time. You can lose track of time (or get in "flow") easily, and unintentionally.

The thing is, Vyvanse has more effects than just that. It also increases dopamine release (as well as some other receptor I forgot about, but that other receptor essentially relaxes you). Dopamine is involved in arousal (not sexual, it means awakened), some motor control, motivation (literal motivation to do anything), and finally dopamine is most well known for its role in the "reward" system, which is basically a way of reinforcing actions to cause them to happen more often. It isn't the only neurotransmitter involved in the reward system, and you shouldn't think it is, but it does play a role.

Vyvanse has more effects, including some bad ones, but I'm not going to get into that. I guess I should mention it's normally prescribed for ADD, or any related disorder.

tl;dr yes it does motivate me.

>>56958644
44C is perfect. You should only start worrying if you're idling at >60 or if you're frequently getting ~80.
>>
>>56958743
Thanks, good to know that my cpu isnt frying itself
>>
>>56958743
i can pretty much tune everything out on my own, so i guess this would be pointless, even if i do have add
>>
>>56958846
>even if i do have add
If you have ADD, then you should seriously consider trying to get your doctor to prescribe it to you. Being able to tune things out is one thing, but being able to fully devote your attention to something is different.

I can somewhat tune things out without vyvanse. I'm not even prescribed for that purpose. I don't actually have ADD, I have something else I'd rather 4chan and the archives to not know about.

Before you do anything, though, I would recommend seeing a psychiatrist and getting their opinion.
>>
File: 1452748180456.jpg (324KB, 768x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452748180456.jpg
324KB, 768x960px
I want to type Japanese and don't have a DE. I got ibus-anthy and I even get the little icons at the top right but I don't know how to set it as my keyboard.

All I've seen about it is people going to their DE's settings to enable it, but I can't do that. I've got a window manager alone, using Gentoo.
>>
File: 79c921f0429e04ba24095443e2d5ebb9.png (971KB, 788x1113px) Image search: [Google]
79c921f0429e04ba24095443e2d5ebb9.png
971KB, 788x1113px
How will programming get me closer to my waifu?
>>
>>56958914
dumb weeb
>>
>>56958914
>using Gentoo
Seriously? You got this far and couldn't get that?
Edit your /etc/locale.gen, then edit your /etc/conf.d/keymaps file
>>
>>56958914
>he fell for the WM meme
>>
>>56957770
Try installing a BBS, nothing beats it.
>>
>>56958944
Yeah I figured that had something to do with it but I didn't know it would apply to ibus. I'll give this a shot, thanks.
>>
>>56958912
i guess i could try these
i'll probably forget though, my memory's shit
>>
>>56958980
Make sure to follow these steps after the locale.gen file.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Configure_locales
>>
>>56958914
ばか
>>
I spilled grean tea on keybord of laptop, turn off, wimped water and excert battery and everything, left to dry for a day, do i need to open and watch what with hardware??
>>
does anyone have that website that would redraw images with lines? like you upload an image and it would redraw it with lines, and the longer you let it run the better. it was big on here a while back and i seem to have lost my bookmark.
thanks!
>>
>>56956023
How do I install Windows XP or Windows 7 on a computer AFTER installing Ubuntu?
>>
>>56959016
>wimped water and excert battery
Uh what? Could you reword the entire thing or speak in your native language?
>>
>>56959036
Literally looked up "redraw image with lines" and got this:
http://linify.me/

>>56959039
Look up how to dual boot Windows with Ubuntu
>>
>>56959039
You need to find some way to remove the bootloader in Windows, and make it more accomodating to GRUB, I think. I'm not sure how you'd do that though.
>>
What resume generator do you guys recommend?
>>
>>56959072
>Look up how to dual boot Windows with Ubuntu
Most of what's online talks about dualbooting with WINDOWS FIRST and THEN UBUNTU.
I haven't found anything on UBUNTU FIRST and THEN WINDOWS.
>>
>>56959080
>What resume generator do you guys recommend?
cat /dev/random > resume.txt
>>
>>56959131
Jesus did I really just do that? Here's what I should've said.
cp /dev/random resume.txt
>>
There any free open source applications to manage amazon cloud drive? All I can find are monthly fee services.
>>
>>56959011
Thanks m8, did all that but after setting my locale to Japanese it still won't work. I'm probably just messing up stupidly though
>>
>>56959167
Because you have to restart the environment. You could easily do that just by restarting your computer. If after you restart, your computer freaks out with random characters, you're going to have to boot from disk and undo what you did or something similar.
>>
I just turned 25 and my voice hasn't dropped yet. I still sound 14. Bass when?
>>
>>56959201
You uh, might want to see a doctor about that.
>>
>>56959201
Start smoking 2 packs of unfiltered cigarettes a day
>>
>>56959050
Sorry, i turn it around so water would leak out and then wiped out water from surface of keyboard nad touchpad, and left laptop to dry out for ad day, do i need open the case and check insides?
>>
Do smartphones use network interface cards like desktops or laptops? If so, how do I find the name of it on my phone?
>>
File: 1459873117993.jpg (52KB, 680x314px) Image search: [Google]
1459873117993.jpg
52KB, 680x314px
>>56959196
>>56959196
my computer is in japanese at least but i still cant type it
>>
Where's that goddamn chart for torrent clients
>>
>>56959292
You set up your keymaps wrong, then (or you didn't touch them).

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout_switching
>>
I've been putting up with Gmail for a while. But putting FUCKING ADS in my inbox disguised as mail is unacceptable. Time to switch.

What email service will NOT put FUCKING ADS in my GODDAMN INBOX
>>
>>56959201
>I just turned 25 and my voice hasn't dropped yet. I still sound 14. Bass when?
Post clip with voice.
>>
>>56959351
Carrier pigeon.

Or just don't give out your email all the time, or just filter them.
>>
>>56959351
>But putting FUCKING ADS in my inbox disguised as mail is unacceptable
uBlock. I have no ads in my Gmail.

>>56959262
See if ifconfig -a works. Some phones has crippled ifconfig, it varies. If that doesn't work, ls /sys/class/net.
>>
File: not ⁄g⁄.png (3KB, 215x156px) Image search: [Google]
not  ⁄g⁄.png
3KB, 215x156px
Does vinyl really sound better than a lossless CD rip, or is it just a meme?
>>
File: 20161006_231626.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_231626.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Keep getting this. Win7.

Turn on. Black screen. 8 beeps repeated.
>plug in external monitor
See Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, normal, etc... screen.

Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking work fine.

Normal start up leads to normal Windows is starting screen and then this blue screen. Sometimes followed by a fucking long ass beep.

Any ideas besides reinstalling Win?
>>
>>56959402
Maybe on the first few plays. It does indeed hold higher frequencies than a CD can. However, after just a few plays it's degraded to below CD quality. Also many LPs today are made from CD quality masters so those get no benefit whatsoever.
>>
>>56959319
I have it as jp106 right now without any luck. I'm too dumb for this
>>
>>56959402
It's a really stupid meme.
Also, anything above 16-bit 44.1/48KHz FLAC is a stupid meme as well.
>>
>>56959463
Please post full picture the right way up. This doesn't let me read it all and it makes my neck hurt.

See the pattern of red pixels though? Smells like dead GPU.
>>
>>56959402
Its 99% a meme
The 1% is the fact that you can't compress dynamic range as much as you can with a digital format, potentially forcing the studio to make copy with better dynamic range, but this is only a factor due to retarded music studios doing shitty mastering
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
>>
Can I rice pale moon with fire fox styles?
>>
File: JUST.jpg (1002KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
1002KB, 2560x1440px
Does anyone know a GNU/Linux distro you can install onto a Macbook Air (late 2010 model) that just werks?

I've wrecked OS X, the EFI and recovery partitions etc, down to a blank hard drive now. Pic related
>>
since the latest windows update my computer keeps freezing in brief intervals, like around 4 seconds when switching from my browsers to other programs on my pc, or even like a brief 1-2 second freeze when I press start. Sometimes the freeze goes for longer and if I keep clicking or typing my computer starts beeping. Is there a fix for this?
>>
>>56959648
Any Ubuntu flavor. Mint. Both of those come with plenty of drivers and support Mac well.

There may be a separate disc you can download that works better with Macs. I know they sued to do that, dunno now.
>>
>>56959661
Uninstall the bum update. If that doesn't help, system restore.
>>
>>56959683
how do you revert to the version just before the update?

Also does doing this delete stuff you created lately or anything?
>>
What's the difference between turning the computer off, waiting 10 seconds for complete power down, and then restarting it, compared to hitting the restart button from within Windows?
What's the proper terminology for both these kinds of reboots?
>>
>>56957530
Answer: drinkable, but nothing special
>>
>>56959491
Any way you can read that one? I can't seem to take another that will upload. All the rest are too large.

I thought it could be the GPU, but no issues when I have it on in Safe Mode. Screen looks normal, well Safe Mode normal.
>>
File: RX 480.png (26KB, 945x205px) Image search: [Google]
RX 480.png
26KB, 945x205px
Probably worth the $30 over the RX 470 right? even if the performance per dollar isn't 100% on top

Dunno why the 8gb models need to be so much more expensive
>>
>>56959693
>how do you revert to the version just before the update?
Settings, updates and security, updates, update history, uninstall updates. Or if it was an actual new build of Win10, try recovery options and then go back to a previous build instead of uninstall an update.

>Also does doing this delete stuff you created lately or anything?
Removing updates and going back to a previous build don't. System restore doesn't undo your data files, but does wipe out any programs you installed or updates since.
>>
>>56957530
>>56959698

Mountain Dew and related (citrusy drinks) go much better with vodka, or maybe gin. I'd try that next time.
>>
>>56959728
Thanks anon! I'll wait for a bit longer, maybe another anon knows how to get rid of this freezing bug, if not I guess I'll revert to the previous one.
>>
File: 20161006_235418.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_235418.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>56959705
>>56959491
got one
>>
>>56959677
Alright I'll give Xubuntu a try. Debian stable didn't turn out so well so hopefully this will get me up and running.

Also I had no idea they sued but I can see why. They put you through hell trying to install an alternative OS outside of Windows. This is my first mac and probably my last mac.
>>
>>56959715
That's pretty close to what I paid for my 470 at Best Buy last week.
>>56959734
I was gonna get some vodka but when I walked into the liquor store I remembered that I really love bourbon. Just wanted everyone to know that it is definitely drinkable though I will probably enjoy some plain and some with ginger ale the rest of this night instead of the gamer fuel
>>
>>56959752
stupid question incoming: is it not dangerous to have a lava lamp that close to your monitor?
>>
>>56959770

Bourbon is my favorite, and ginger ale is my favorite thing to have with it. Outside of a botched experiement, you're a class act.
>>
Fuck,
I feel like an idiot but I'll ask anyway... let's say I have 2 Desktop Environments installed, let's also say at console after I've logged in and started xorg/xserver (Whatever-Hell it is.) i.e. startx

How can I differentiate between what DE I feel like running?

So far xorg only starts my first installed DE (Cinnamon.) I want to try-out E17, but
startxe17
;
startx -e17
will not work (Which is pretty fucking stupid.) I am sure I have to and manually edit some xorg-related script, but I don't know how or what to do!

HALP
>>
>>56959752
>atimpag.sys
>ATI
Issue with your ATI GPU or its driver. The red dots suggest it's a hardware issue with the GPU.

Also nice leg. And I think I might have the same lava lamp.

>>56959778
I don't see a problem with it. They make about 40 watts of heat, most of it warming the water and oil in the bottle. The bottle is capped and won't spill or leak unless you smash it.

BTW, do NOT shake a lava lamp when it's molten inside. It ruins it.
>>
>>56957442
because transcoding a video doesn't necessarily mean you'll get a result that is smaller than the source
>>
I need a cheap SSD.

ADATA SP550 or Sandisk SSD Plus?
>>
>>56959841
Probably sandisk
>>
>>56959778
Never has a problem with them.

>>56959829
Even if the dots go away in Safe Mode?
And is there anything I can do? Or is it basically bricked?

>leg
It's actually a small wooden globe. If we're looking at the same object.
>>
if you building a eGpu where does the Pcie express card go? all the guides I look at don't specify. are there certain type for certain (I have a think pad e430) computers? can the graphics card connect via VGA? Just wanna be able to play wow on an external monitor and not overwhelm my laptop
>>
When we will see a new generation of SSDs?

The only one i see releasing new SSDs is ADATA.
>>
>>56959695

hard and soft
>>
>>56959902
Samsung 960 is supposed to come out this month.
>>
>>56959818
If you're using startx, the last line should execute your window manager

In your case if you want to be able to choose, you can compare the $1 variable to various wms in your ~/.xinitrc or even something as simple as
exec $1
at the bottom, then use startx start_enlightenment or startx openbox or whatever
>>
just flashed my first custom kernel on my android
how do i learn what settings to put without blowing up my phone, I'm having trouble finding general guidelines online not to mention guidelines for my specific phone, model, rom, and kernel.
Assuming those are factors
>>
File: Digital Style.png (70KB, 217x267px) Image search: [Google]
Digital Style.png
70KB, 217x267px
I haven't done any windows updates in a while because I didn't want to surprise me and upgrade to Windows 10. I read somewhere that once the period of free windows 10 upgrade expired, windows won't randomly try to upgrade itself to 10. Is that true? Can I install these windows updates already?
>>
>>56960006
It is expired. You will no longer be offered upgrades to Win10.
>>
Do people still use BBS and where are popular ones
>>
File: WP_20161007_001.jpg (598KB, 1788x963px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161007_001.jpg
598KB, 1788x963px
So I recently got an RX 470 and it came with a molex to 6 pin adapter (initially I thought it was a crossfire cable), but I've been using just a free 6-pin from my power supply.

It feels like the card has been underperforming though and I thought this was because my CPU / MOBO was bottlenecking it, but have I been supposed to be using this adapter the whole time (does it provide more power than just a 6-pin by itself)? Or is it just for if you don't have a 6-pin free?

Pic is what the adapter looks like.
>>
>>56960035
Isnt that just a Molex>PCIe adapter?

What are you trying to do with your RX 470, remember its a budget card.
>>
I'm trying to overclock my EVGA card using EVGA Precision XOC, while I was doing that I tried fiddling with the voltage options and realized they don't actually do anything. In the settings menu there's an option for overvoltage that is unchecked, I'm assuming that's why it wouldn't let me change the voltage of the card. The problem is, it doesn't let me check that option, does anyone know why?
>>
>>56960059
>Isnt that just a Molex>PCIe adapter?

I'm not sure, both of the molexes have 3 metal prongs instead of 4 and the 6-pin is missing one prong.

What would I use this for?
>>
>>56956351
SQL
>>
>>56960083
Probably is if you don't have a 6 pin PCIe cable.
You don't really need it.

Why do you feel your card is underperforming, if it wasn't receiving enough power you would notice BSOD or the card wouldn't work at all.
>>
>>56960031
They've been replaced with Usenet and web forums. Dialing in to individual boards over landlines with a modem to access them was clunky, not to mention expensive for both the user and the BBS operator.
>>
>>56960083
Molex has 5v and 12v, PCIe only needs the 12v
Not sure why the PCIe connector would be missing a pin though
>>
>>56960103
>Why do you feel your card is underperforming

Basically it's performing just as well as my 7870 did except this time I have a different motherboard which might be throttling both my CPU and GPU.

My CPU especially doesn't get hot enough when I'm playing games.

They're both pretty old at this point, CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 955 and MOBO is a ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0
>>
>>56960139
Actually one of the pins on the 6 pin PCIe connector isn't used, so that's normal.
>>
>>56960035
>Or is it just for if you don't have a 6-pin free?
Yeah, it's for that.
>>
>>56960144
Motherboard is irrelevant to GPU throttling, specially on a low end one.
>>
>>56960174
But if a MOBO is throttling the CPU won't this also throttle the GPU?
>>
>>56960035
RX 470 owner here, hasn't choked on anything I throw at it yet at 1080p. I'm using a thing from my power supply that fit into the thing on the graphics card by default (6 pins)
>>
Are desktop Bitcoin wallets still a thing? What are some good free software wallets?
>>
>>56960187
Your motherboard isn't throttling your CPU, your CPU is just old.
>>
>>56960201
Yeah I heard it was a good card just for single monitor 1080p gaming and about 40% stronger than a 7870 making it a worthy upgrade.

Probably is my MOBO being a cunt, I'll be looking to upgrade it and my CPU around Christmas anyway.
>>
>>56960221
I've used Electrum. Dunno how it is these days.
>>
>>56960226
Then why doesn't its temperature change much in games?

Like it's idle temp is around 37 - 40 and only spikes up about 5 - 7 degrees under load when it should be getting close to the high 50s and low 60s range.

My cooling is good and all, but not THAT good.
>>
>>56960254
Check the load and clock speed then
>>
anyone got a fix to that windows 10 update freezing?
>>
File: weirdlink.png (39KB, 1104x182px) Image search: [Google]
weirdlink.png
39KB, 1104x182px
Is anyone else seeing pictures linking to the wrong place sometimes? It usually seems to be the third image on a page for me.
>>
File: goodnight sweet prince.jpg (124KB, 683x780px) Image search: [Google]
goodnight sweet prince.jpg
124KB, 683x780px
how fucked is it?
>>
>>56960360
F

>power on count higher than hours
>>
>>56960360
fucked/10
>>
did my first compiling today and it was the coolest most epic fu*king shit ever(compiled a minecraft server mod file .jar) how do i get into more compiling???????
>>
>>56960373
>>56960374
i was getting 5mb/s max writing to it , i guess it just a burner now
>>
>>56960383
lol dude, LOL!
>>
>>56960316
Run adwcleaner.
>>
>>56960234
Check CPU load and GPU load with task manager and GPU-Z.
>>
>>56960360
Circling the drain. Hundreds of reallocated sectors, 4 pending sectors.
>>
>>56959158
jungledisk
But you need paid services such as amazon
>>
Something weird happened twice with my internet today.
First I send a cURL request and the URLs returned had a / in the wrong spot, e.g.
www.website.com/uploads/201610//04/1.jpg
and second an image in a 4chan thread linked to an IP address, e.g.
https://00.000.00.00/tv1475815832376.jpg

The IP address is owned by a company OVH Hosting, Inc. located in Quebec, Canada.

What's going on?
>>
File: w2rsZWs.jpg (105KB, 750x834px) Image search: [Google]
w2rsZWs.jpg
105KB, 750x834px
general linux novice here

My Mint install decided to randomly implode after I noticed some weird graphical artifacting, and now I can't get a DE to load. Cinnamon just crashes. I have some important files I need to get off the drive so I can throw a new OS on there because I have no idea how else to fix this. I can't access the directories where the files are on a seperate live instance on the same machine because no permissions, and I don't know how I else I would begin getting the files off.

Please help?
>>
>>56959841
I heard that kingdian ssd (chink product) is really cheap and well regarded in /csg/, you may want to look into it
>>
File: port_test.png (92KB, 1421x398px) Image search: [Google]
port_test.png
92KB, 1421x398px
I'm trying to understand how ports and port forwarding works with applications on a network.

It's my current undthat if you scan a port on a device and there is no application or service listening on that port on the device, the port still not be detected as open.

But if you have an application or service running on the device that is listening on that port, like, say, a Minecraft server, and the port is scanned, it should return as open, because the port is listening for connections.

Am I misunderstanding how it works?

I am not forwarding any ports to my device in pic related. I have UPnP enabled which, to my understanding, should allow applications and services to forward a port on the fly when the service is established. But I'm not sure if my understanding of UPnP is correct, either.
>>
>>56960550
Login as root and transfer your files via cli?
>>
>>56960685
>my current understanding that*

Typo.
>>
>>56960685
>scan,not open
yes
>scan,listening
yes
>upnp
Spot on
>>
>>56960685
Either your router is not forwarding the port, or your Windows Firewall is blocking it.

To my knowledge Minecraft does not ask for port forwards using UPnP, so that wouldn't help you. You need to go to your router's config page, usually something like 192.168.1.1, log in, and set up the port forward.

Note that if your PC's IP changes inside your network, you will need to change that port forward's destination IP. You can prevent this by setting up a static lease for your PC so it will always get the same IP, or set a static IP in Windows that's outside the range the router will assign through DHCP.

If the port is forwarded and it still shows up as closed or stealth, check in Windows Firewall. Check that your network type is Home in network and sharing center.
>>
>>56960748
>>56960761
Thanks.

>Either your router is not forwarding the port, or your Windows Firewall is blocking it.

I have Windows Firewall disabled in Windows since I have the router firewall configured well enough that I don't really have any security issues that would warrant a software firewall on this machine. I guess the port isn't being forwarded, but then that leaves me a bit confused, since people outside my network can connect to the server without me manually forwarding the port.

>To my knowledge Minecraft does not ask for port forwards using UPnP, so that wouldn't help you. You need to go to your router's config page, usually something like 192.168.1.1, log in, and set up the port forward.

Well, the server works just fine. People outside of my network can connect to it no problem, so I figured the UPnP was working. I haven't done any manual port forwarding since I figured everything was fine. If Minecraft doesn't use UPnP to forward ports on the network, how are people connecting to my server without issue? I know not all games require port forwarding, but I'm not entirely sure why.
>>
File: 20161007_01.png (20KB, 732x527px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_01.png
20KB, 732x527px
I lost all my settings for Foobar.

Is there anyway to artificially add time to the "total time played" counter?

I was at about 3 weeks and 5 days total time played before my Foobar settings got corrupted

I know most people here think it's just an arbitrary number counter, but it really satisfies my autism to have it
>>
>>56960787
If people outside your network can connect to your server, the port is forwarded. If you're using Hamachi or similar, that doesn't apply and they're just connecting through Hamachi.
>>
File: 20161007_085836.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_085836.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
I'm thinking about buying a soundcard (Asus Xonar DGX), and my mobo has a free PCIe slot for it. However, it is right underneath my grapcis card, so if I'd add one they would be almost touching eachother. Would this fuck up my GPU cooling?
>>
>>56960840
Not using any VPN software like Hamachi. I barely have anything running on this machine except for the server itself. I haven't set up any port forwarding on the router.

If the port were forwarded, wouldn't the GRC ShieldsUP! port scan pictured show "Open" rather than "Stealth" when I scan the port?

If Minecraft doesn't use UPnP for forward ports, how can the port be being forwarded?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just a bit confused.
>>
>>56960839
According to a quick google search the settings file has a checksum that detects any third-party changes. So if you root around and modify the value it'll invalidate the whole settings file.
>>
How can I upgrade to windows 10 if i missed the window to upgrade? I need to play gears of war.
>>
>>56960906
Thanks anon

I tried google before, but only found a thread saying "I can't recover it" or along those lines

Maybe my search terms were shit
>>
>>56960920
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
They've extended the upgrade for those who "need accessibility features".
>>
>>56960961

Thanks for the link. Is it possible an OS upgrade could cause any of my hardware or drivers to malfunction? like my old motherboard not supporting or something?
>>
>>56961086
It's possible but very unlikely. Windows has stayed mostly intact under the hood since vista. Also the free upgrade keeps your old installation for a few weeks, allowing you to revert back if it doesnt work.
>>
File: Bitch Hold On.jpg (70KB, 702x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Bitch Hold On.jpg
70KB, 702x1024px
>>56960841
>I'm thinking about buying a soundcard
Buy an ODAC/Amp if you care about audio quality, they're around $250
>>
File: 1475299819696.png (749KB, 1264x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1475299819696.png
749KB, 1264x1000px
Please help. My main phone is a Motorola Moto X Pure edition. (Style edition for your Euros). It randomly started locking up at the lock screen. The screen would still come on, but swiping wouldn't unlock it. The PIN pad would never come on. The phone would then restart itself. the phone also randomly started restarting itself. this would usually happen when trying to open the gallery but only seeing grey boxes instead of the pictures.

Now the phone has a "no service error" even when the SIM hasn't been changed in anyway or even removed. Tried removing the SIM and putting it back in and same problem.

Phone is running stock ROM, stock everything Android 6.0.1 and full phone encryption.

Going to reset the phone to factory defaults (which is the only way to remove the encryption) to see if this fixes the problem. If not I'm fucking stumped. Maybe google heard me through my mic that I was considering a new phone anyway and they fucked mine up to force my hand?
>>
I made an illustration in AI and when I save it as SVG, it won't zoom when I open it in a browser. Tried Save As, tried Export, all the options, searched on the internet, nothing, does anyone know what could be the cause?
>>
My GPU's fans are switched off when it's not under load and it's idle temps are in the low 50s (feature of the card)

Is this too hot for idle?

Should I manually switch them on to be something low while idle?
>>
>>56961247
nah that's fine. My r9 390 had a crazy fan curve and had the 0% fan thing while at idle. My card idled at 55C but would only hit 68C under full load.
>>
>>56961247
no
>>
I applied for an internship for Information Technology. Requirements didn't really require anything besides being a college student. I have very little programming experience, just the tip of the iceberg of C++ for a class I'm currently taking.
Assuming I get an interview or an offer, what are some things I should look into to prepare myself?
Reading the description, it included network infrastructure and network security.
>>
>>56961384
COMPTIA Security+,Network+,Linux+
Those are bootcamp level starters
>>
>>56961107
>Also the free upgrade keeps your old installation for a few weeks, allowing you to revert back if it doesnt work.
This is good but I still strongly recommend backing up your disk with dd or a dedicated system backup program. Easus Todo Backup is free and works well enough.

I've seen Win10 sometimes hose things and either not boot enough to restore your old Windows, or act like it's restoring and then announce that it mysteriously failed.
>>
>>56961204
But I don't want to spend 250 on anything. I fell for the cheap motherboard meme and would like to see if 40 yuropcoins would improve it.
>>
Do women have an easier or harder time than men finding a job as software developers, /g/?
>>
File: eg0666-1-pci-riser-card.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
eg0666-1-pci-riser-card.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
>>56960841
either get a usb soundcard, or use a cabled pcie riser
>>
>>56961731
It'd be retarded to hire a female programmer.

They're as poor at it as they are at trying to perform the same as men in physical-centric jobs.

I'm not even being a typical MUH-SOGGY-KNEE guy, there's just so many things women can never be as good at men at because of their biological structure.
>>
>>56961731
Depends on if the company has a diversity quota
>>
>>56961731
Probably easier because companies like to hire women to brag about their employee gender stats.

>>56961761
While they're a lot rarer, good female programmers do exist. A big part of why they're rarer is just that girls usually don't show as much interest in tinkering with machines as boys do. That's possibly partly innate, but partly due to how we raise and encourage them.

So, you end up with a higher percent of men who apply for a technical job being in the field because they have a passion for it and are good at it. Whereas a higher percent of the women who apply are either there because they heard it's good money, or because they want to stick it to the man and get into a mostly male field.
>>
If I already have a beginner's understanding of OOP, is 5-10 months enough time to build a portfolio good enough to get a job in the $30-40k salary range?
>>
>>56956023
I want to make a bit of money on the side doing basic computer shit for computer-illiterate types. The problem is that I'm not that great with computers myself. I know I have the ability to learn though, and my question is what skills are most essential to this work and where should I go to learn more?
>>
>>56961761
>They're as poor at it as they are at trying to perform the same as men in physical-centric jobs.
are they as bad at programming as you are at writing coherently?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (26KB, 432x211px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
26KB, 432x211px
I want to change the Shared HDD Icon.
I assume it's in imageres.dll (Win7), but it's difficult to locate. Anyway to find the resource's location within the dll?

Since there's thousands I really didn't want to search through them one-by-one with resource hacker
>>
>>56962155
Scratch that.
I just saved all resources (Icons) to a folder with ResHack and found the one I was looking for.
>>
Should I just quit this job if there are still revisions to the highest level system specifications even though we are at user acceptance testing/pre production already or is this normal? I sure didnt encounter this on my previous work
>>
>>56957430
Weird, live wallpapers such as KLWP work for me
>>
File: 0aoi4Fl2w1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg (179KB, 850x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0aoi4Fl2w1qkqgkeo1_1280.jpg
179KB, 850x1200px
How do I know the type of block/restriction my ISP is using?
>>
>>56962680
testing
>>
>>56962540
On nova I mean
>>
File: Screenshot_20161007-104307.png (310KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161007-104307.png
310KB, 1440x2560px
how the fuck do you remove boards from clover? it says you can do it from this menu but the only options are to sort alphabetically, manually rearrange them, or add new ones
>>
>>56962714
When trying to access the blocked sites I get "This site is blocked by xxxxxx for xxxx" message
I can access the blocked sites by using one of these proxies from a proxylist on hidemyass.
Or similar things like hola/hotshield.
What testing methods do you speak of?
Does this mean it's a DNS block?
>>
>>56962775
You can test if its a DNS block by just using the IP to the website instead of the domain.
>>
>>56961563
Then don't spend anything. An ALC887 is fine.
>>
Need to run a file that is in my downloads folder through terminal to fix something in debian.

I've tried stuff that is on a few Serbian forums but it won't work, any ideas what I could do?
>>
Why is it that cyanogenmod 13 can read the ext4 format on my sdcard but not the dm-luks encrypted ext4 format?

I assumed since it was based on linux and read ext4 fine, it would also be able to read and ask for the passcode on a dm-luks.....why not and is there a way to make it with a root/terminal method?
>>
File: 5435c52ef3256.jpg (172KB, 800x1135px) Image search: [Google]
5435c52ef3256.jpg
172KB, 800x1135px
>>56962818
>IP to the website
I used some website to get the site's IP, is there a package pre-installed in linux?
Also I still got the "blocked" massage.
Interestingly if I use opera browser from phone I toggle the save data mode, I can access the blocked sites.
>>
>>56962969
man host
>>
File: dafug.jpg (15KB, 1035x48px) Image search: [Google]
dafug.jpg
15KB, 1035x48px
What's happening here, /g/? I know my portable Opera 12.02 is old but this is the first time this happens.
>>
>>56963017
not using the right font
>>
>>56963031
I'm using Times New Roman and Consoles, as always.
>>
>>56962969
You can use host like >>56963013 says, but if they've blocking it at the DNS level, you'll just get their server.
You can specify a specific DNS server (for example 8.8.8.8) to see if you're getting different results than just using your normal name server.
e.g.
$ host www.google.com
www.google.com has address 216.58.220.100
www.google.com has IPv6 address 2404:6800:4006:801::2004

$ host www.google.com 8.8.8.8
Using domain server:
Name: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
Aliases:

www.google.com has address 210.7.45.53
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.34
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.57
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.38
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.30
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.45
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.42
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.44
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.59
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.29
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.19
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.27
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.23
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.49
www.google.com has address 210.7.45.15
www.google.com has IPv6 address 2404:6800:4006:807::2004
>>
>>56956190
Js html css
>>
>>56963060
Weird. I'm sure I put code tags around the second command.
>>
>>56963013
>>56963060
bash: host: command not found

And if it wasn't a DNS block, then is proxy/VPN the only choice?
>>
>>56963113
On Arch at least, 'host' is part of the bind-tools package.
I don't know what other distros might call it though.
>>
>>56963136
I'm using antergos.
Are there free proxies/VPN that /g/ recommend?
>>
File: feels.jpg (11KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
11KB, 253x199px
>>56962883
Rebump
>tfw sqt is actually working, but leaves you behind
>>
I have gotten 2 bikes stolen the last month. I want some kind of tracking chip I can put on it and see where it is on my mobile. Does such thing exist?
>>
>>56963196
Get a better bike lock and don't be that idiot who puts it around the wheel instead of the frame.
>>
>>56963196
Those Tile bluetooth trackers have a thing where you can mark a item as missing and other Tile users' devices will report when they're in range of it. I've never used one and I don't know how well they work or how many users are in your area, but maybe it's worth checking out.
>>
is there a way to center 4chan on the screen or at least offset it to the right a bit? using 4chanx right now

I got a huge monitor which I sit close to for the wide FOV but I hate looking way to the left all the time
>>
>>56963318
These would be perfect if I could see its current location on a map instead of it only showing up when I am near it. And in a city like mine this probably won't be the best option.
>>
>>56963196
Just get a decent ulock
>>
>>56963406
Doesn't make a difference when they can just carry the bike
>>
>>56962758
Ever used a smartphone before? Swipe left
>>
>>56963418
You're supposed to lock the bike to something that can't be carried away
>>
>>56963418
uhhh...lock it TO something?
>>
>>56963440
>>56963446
I do that whenever I can, but sometimes it isn't available
>>
>>56962874
>open terminal
>drag and drop file into terminal
>press return

Permission denied?
chmod +x path/to/the/file

Then try again.

Need to be root?
sudo path/to/the/file
>>
>>56963451
Are you telling me you got two bikes stolen because you locked them to nothing?
>>
>>56963440
>>56963446
I see, this is brilliant, thanks for your help ^_^
>>
>>56963451
>but sometimes it isn't available
You deserved having your bikes stolen.
>>
>>56963512
Not straight away but yes.
>>
>>56963318
These are useless.
>>56963196
Try looking into drones tracking.
http://uavcoach.com/find-lost-drone-3-awesome-gps-drone-trackers/
>>
>>56963538
Fucking hell man. Just give yourself 30 seconds to find a nearby traffic sign or something.
>>
>>56963512
>never had his bike stolen
I had to rig my bike with teaser until stealing "ceased".
Now I find it thrown a way a few meters.
>>
File: IMG_20161003_140756.jpg (975KB, 2331x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161003_140756.jpg
975KB, 2331x1440px
>>56963573
I've never had my bike stolen because I lock it to something.
Also because it looks like ass
>>
>>56963613
Anon, you're living in a good neighborhood.
My brother take off the seat, and his bike got stolen.
That little lock won't stop anyone.
Good news where I live you can "buy" the bike back.
>>
Please help, I don't understand why my code doesn't solve this problem.
Here's the description of the problem:
https://uva.onlinejudge.org/index.php?option=com_onlinejudge&Itemid=8&category=3&page=show_problem&problem=36
#include <stdio.h>
#define long long LL
int main()
{
int i, j;
unsigned int d;
while(scanf ("%d %d", &i, &j) != EOF ){
int n, n2, cicle, cicle_m=0;
n=i;
n2=j;
while(i>j){
d=i;
cicle = 1;
while ( d != 1 ){
if ( d % 2 == 1 ) d = 3 * d + 1;
else d >>= 1;
cicle++;
}
if( cicle > cicle_m ) cicle_m = cicle;
i--;
}
while(i<j){
d=i;
cicle = 1;
while ( d != 1 ) {
else d >>= 1;
cicle++;
}
if ( cicle > cicle_m ) cicle_m = cicle;
i++;
}
if(n<n2) printf("\n%d %d %d\n",n,n2,cicle_m);
if(n2<n) printf("\n%d %d %d\n",n2,n,cicle_m);
return 0;
}
}
>>
In awesome, when I run Kate, the windows always start as floating for some reason and I have to press super ctrl space to get them to tile with my other windows. Other programs don't have this issue. I even added
{ rule = { class = "kate" },
properties = { floating = false } },

to my rc.lua but to no avail.

What do?
>>
Apparently my router doesn't allow me to change the DNS servers.
What do I do now?
>>
What methods are the best to improve google search results on a website? So much information on the topic seems outdated as jewgle takes measures to ensure that older methods either don't work or punish the website in question.
>>
>>56963924
Get a new router.
>>
>>56963956
Not possible at the moment, so besides that?
Is there a way I can "bypass" the router settings?
>>
>>56963924
Modify your host file.
>>56963956
This is stupid questions thread, not stupid answers.
Go to >>>/vip/
>>
File: Untitled.png (30KB, 414x461px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
30KB, 414x461px
>>56963982
>Modify your host file.
I've already changed them in pic related.
Would the host file be different, or it would achieve the same result?
>>
>>56963982
This is a dumber answer because you can manually set your DNS in your network settings, doing it by your hosts file is pants on head retarded
>>
>>56964000
It's the same.
>>56964009
Explain why.
>>
>>56964045
Its not the same at all
Your hosts file would have to contain every domain you wanted to resolve
>>
>>56963903
>scanf ("%d %d", &i, &j) != EOF
scanf returns the number of elements matched, so it will return less than 2 on failure, not EOF.
Also, I know your code is supposed to be working out the cycle length of the Collatz Conjecture, but your code doesn't make sense.
while(i>j){
d=i;
cicle = 1;
i--;
}

Why are you decrementing i and then increasing it in an identical loop?
>return 0;
This is INSIDE the while loop, which means that your program is going to end after the first loop.
>>
>>56964075
>Why are you decrementing i and then increasing it in an identical loop?
because "i" can be greater than "j" or "j" can be greater than "i". I'm using both conditions.
>This is INSIDE the while loop, which means that your program is going to end after the first loop.
hmm.. even though the input and the output seems to work
>>
>>56964075
>scanf returns the number of elements matched, so it will return less than 2 on failure, not EOF.
I didn't understand that part.
>>
>>56964075
>>56964166
>>This is INSIDE the while loop, which means that your program is going to end after the first loop.
>hmm.. even though the input and the output seems to work
o
Ok, I moved the return0; out of the big while loop and the only change is on the output, where it keeps asking me for numbers.
After all, the main objective of the code is still done.
>>
>>56964166
>because "i" can be greater than "j" or "j" can be greater than "i". I'm using both conditions.
The sample input seems to imply that the first number will be smaller.
But if you're really worried about that, you should just do
int min = i < j ? i : j;
int max = i < j ? j : i;

But really, the whole way you're using your while loop is unnecessary.
You could write it much more cleanly like
for (int k = min; k <= max; ++k) {
}

>>56964181
>I didn't understand that part.
You apparently want to keep running the scanf loop until there is nothing left to read.
On a successful read, scanf will return 2. On an unsuccessful read (i.e. there is nothing left to read), scanf will return less than 2.
So pretty much
while (scanf("%d %d", &i, &j) == 2)
>>
>>56957798
Ask them.
What? They profit using your data and not even give you an explanation? What an evil company!
>>
>>56964230
I did it like this and UVa says it's wrong:
#include <stdio.h>
#define long long LL
int main()
{
int i, j, k;
unsigned int d;
while (scanf("%d %d", &i, &j) == 2){
int n, n2, cicle, cicle_m=0;
n=i;
n2=j;
for(k=min;k<=max;++k){
d=i;
cicle = 1;
while ( d != 1 ){
else d >>= 1;
cicle++;
}
i++;
}
printf("%d %d %d\n",min,max,cicle_m);
}
return 0;
}

>Although your program was successful at compilation and execution stages, it was not able of solving the proposed problem.
>Best regards,
>The UVa Online Judge team
should I ignore this and move on with more problems?
>>
>>56964432
>d=i;
d = k;
>cicle = 1;
This should be set to 1 outside the loop.
>i++;
Unneeded. So is n and n2.
>>
>>56958106
You will be considered a loser. This is for sure.
>>
>>56958349
Nobody will give you their identities.
>>
>>56963196
I could just remove the chip, couldn't I? Then I can steal your bike.
>>
>>56964470
Again wrong
what could be wrong?
#include <stdio.h>
#define long long LL
int main()
{
int i, j, k;
unsigned int d;
while (scanf("%d %d", &i, &j) == 2){
int cicle, cicle_m=0;
for(k=min;k<=max;++k){
d=k;
cicle = 1;
while ( d != 1 ){
else d >>= 1;
cicle++;
}
}
printf("%d %d %d\n",min,max,cicle_m);
}
return 0;
}

Thanks for all the help by the way.
>>
>>56964470
>>56964705
btw i tried to put the cicle =1 outside the loop but it wasn't right either because it had a different cicle_m at the end.
>>
File: switch.png (96KB, 1070x598px) Image search: [Google]
switch.png
96KB, 1070x598px
Hello /g/
I am thinking of buying a switch to facilitate my home network for vidya. Would this item be a good switch? What does it mean when it says 10/100/1000 Mbps ports? (i know what megabits are, asking about the speed). Is the speed variable or something? Are some of the ports "slow" (10Mbps) while others are "fast" (1000Mbps)?
Also are there any concern with buying very long (100ft) ethernet cords? The way our house is set up my room on the second floor is directly above the downstairs computer room where the modem lies. I have to either snake the cords through the vent somehow or go all the way around the house up the stairs to get the cord to my computer / local switch.

Here is the switch in question:

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Mbps Switch (GS205)

amazon
.com/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-1000Mbps/dp/B00KFD0SMC

thanks for helping me avoid client desync issues in WoW. The only solution to them so far (and I have troubleshooted this problem in-depth) is to alt+f4 out of WoW and relaunch it, which is problematic when doing group content.
>>
My router has a USB 3 port, what is it for?

How good is a RX 460? Is it the GTX 750Ti of this gen minus the 75w?
>>
I'm looking for a decent printer. Initially I was thinking of buying a cheap laser one since I'm only printing in B&W but the niece might be needing a colored one for school later. Any suggestions?
>>
>>56964815
Flashing/Storage/G3
>>
>>56964917
Generic HP I recommend F300, you can buy the ink from ebay and save money.
>>
>>56965133
Storage as in network shared storage?

Like a USB that would show on all the computers connected in my network?
>>
>>56965360
Probably.
What's the router model? looking it up would be easier.
Even if it didn't you can flash custom firmware with SMB support.
>>
Corsair AX Series 1200i Digital ATX 1200W (400 $)
-can i use this in a cheap computer? The computer that i want to put it in costs as much as the PSU. Thanks.
>>
GTX 1050 when?

>>56965473
Yes, but why you have a $400 PSU for a $400 computer?
>>
Its a frankenstein and the parts are from all over the place.
>>
>>56965636
It will work, your PC only will draw what it needs.
>>
Can any /g/entoomen help me out? I would like to try out Sailfish OS on a N9 but all the images are gone.
>>
>>56964789
anyone? all I want to know is if its a decent switch for my gayming in le werld of orccraft
>>
What's the point of enterprise os like redhat? I know it's used in work environment, but why not use another os that's cheaper(or even free)?
>>
Best graphical mpd client for my normie relatives with ubuntu/mint to connect to my music server?
>>
Whaddup /g/entoomen,

which one should i choose between these routers?

> Linksys Cisco E900
> Tplink Tl-wr841hp
> Tp-link Wr841n

I've already seen the E1200 but it's way too expensive in my country and maybe the Tl-wr940n but its already streching my budget
>>
>>56966124
Never had a problem with my linksys, even though mine is an older model.

I want to buy a cheap laptop for university, but i don't really want a potato since i've already got a nice desktop pc. What's the best choice that's capable of running decent games like left4dead2, terraria, burnout paradise, cs:go, borderlands and cod mw2?
>>
>>56966415
welp, i meant to say i've got a nice desktop pc at home, but i need this for my apartment near university, for both playing and studying,
doesn't have to be too powerful or too shitty, and please keep the budget low
>>
new thread when
>>
Don't ask me how or why but the storage drive in my HTPC is all inside of a "System Reserved" partition which means Windows really doesn't like to access it without me manually enabling it every time I boot and I can't even remove it with the Windows setup. I'm sure I could use a gpart bootdisk to remove it and format but I was wondering if there was any way to convert it to a normal volume without losing the data? There doesn't seem to be a command for converting system reserved volumes in diskpart.
>>
File: a.jpg (43KB, 640x429px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
43KB, 640x429px
>>56966526
what a stupid question
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.