[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it not worth to learn C++? even on /g/ you can hear opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: cplus.jpg (36KB, 433x455px) Image search: [Google]
cplus.jpg
36KB, 433x455px
is it not worth to learn C++?

even on /g/ you can hear opinions that its language for sado-maso people and would be better with JAVA or C# if you are looking for the job
>>
C++ is C with cin and cout instead of scanf and printf
>>
>>56953335
at least you openly admit that you have no clue
>>
>>56953335
You forgot about whole OOP and generic programming.

Why would one use printf over cout?
>>
>>56953306
It's a shit language, but when it opens up employment or advancement in employment then that counts more than your preference.
>>
>>56953440

No he just listed the non crappy parts of C++. All two of them.
>>
>asking /g/
Why don't you look around for local IT jobs instead and you will have your answer you fucking moron
>>
>>56953440
He was pretty much right though
>>
>>56954291
it is more technology related that all this desktop and battlestation bullshit
>>
>>56953440
>>56953604
>using OOP non-ironically
>>
>>56954951

it is, and >>56954291 is neet which is why this annoys him so much.
>>
It's ok as long as you don't take seriously the advice they give you in textbooks on writing everything in OOP.
C++ should be used exactly how they tell not to - like C with classes.
>>
>>56954989

The object oriented stuff is fine, just C++ and java and basically everything sucks. The core concept is smart.

Some new trendy person will make C with objects again and maybe it will suck less.
>>
>>56955022

bingo!
>>
Holy shit it's a programming language, you aren't making a life commitment here
>>
>>56953306
You can implement OOP features that you need in "C". If you want programming with "objects" then use C# or if you are an old fag try out Object Pascal.

But for the love of kek avoid C++ its a clusterfuck that will have you wanting to kill yourself and anyone near you.
>>
>>56955189
I've spent my adult life on java so that isn't really true. It's easy to get shunted into an ecosystem you don't like because you think it's steady pay and who is really happy anyway. Oh well, at least I can retire in a decade.
>>
>>56955189
So what you're saying is that C++ is like a fat ugly street whore in her fifties?
>can't unsee
>>
even if you do learn c++, you'll probably have an old hat c programmer as a tech lead who will not be impressed by your convoluted mess of ooped up code, using as many features you can think of to save one line of code to be cool even though it fucks up all symmetry and simplicity.
So, it is not worth it.
I wonder though if you'll already need to pay a price for simply considering c++?
It implies a lack of good programming material in you and that's a huge price to pay if you intend to become a programmer.
>>
>>56954447
You're pretty much retarded.
>>
>>56953604
Are there any particular printf format specifiers that C++ doesn't implement elsewhere in std? That's probably the only case.
>>
>>56953306
Whether or not you decide it's worth learning C++, the posters in this thread telling you or implying C++ is C with OOP are basically incompetent on the whole subject and should be ignored.
>>
OP, you can find people on the internet who loudly hate every programming language. and gl hf doing anything low-level in a language that runs in a VM.
>>
>>56953306
C++ is a giant metastatic mess, but there's still no alternative with the same combination of being compiled, being GC-free, having massive library support, and being multiparadigm, including metaprogramming.

It's slowly morphing into a substantially better language that when first conceived, but the things that would help it most (Concepts, Modules, unified call syntax) keep getting pushed back or canned outright.
>>
>>56955592

Yeah, but the difference is C++ actually sucks.
>>
File: 3 Billion.png (89KB, 519x396px) Image search: [Google]
3 Billion.png
89KB, 519x396px
>>56953306
>is it not worth to learn C++?
Yeah, it isn't worth it. Learn Java instead.
>>
>>56955538
Please explain then. It's just c with oop and a clusterfuck of a standard library.
>>
>>56955538

> he doesn't realise c++ is actually just object oriented C
> he fell for the C++ meme
>>
>>56955538
try having an opinion once instead of years of propaganda.
>>
>>56953306
learn a couple of languages before looking for a job
C++, Java, HTML, PHP, Ruby, Python
all have their own use, and each are useful at different times
>>
>>56954989
C with classes is good though. C programming already entails some functions being coupled with structs and in that sense you're pretty much using objects. Data structures are things which are sensible to represent as objects.
>>
>>56956076
polymorphism != oop
>>
>>56955973
C++11 onward has a combination of language features enabling scoped and mostly memory safe generic container types, namely templates, rvalues, and destructors. It's not as thorough as Rust but for the most part you can write C++ code using the STL without any need to manually allocate and free memory, which eliminates a large class of bugs and is a vast improvement over C. Reference invalidation is one of the few remaining frontiers. Unless you're cargo-culting old Unix devs who had nothing usable but C and are pretending that shooting yourself in the foot with manual memory management is a rite of passage, having language features to assist with this is a valuable feature.

The C++ standard library has weaknesses but being a clusterfuck isn't one of them; its only real deficiency if anything is how slow it's been in standardizing missing basic features that have existed in 3rd party libraries. It's catching up now, though. They're also adding nice things like option and variant types to weed out common sorts of unsafe idioms that will fester forever in C.

Also, C++ is multiparadigm and Java-style inheritance is falling out of favor in deference to composition and interfaces. They've added closures as well, so no one is limited to either the procedural or OOP ways of doing things.

Really the most glaring faults of C++ are the garbage features they carried over from C and haven't been able to ditch as of yet: text substitution macros, header files, dumb type coercion and operator precedence rules, etc.
>>
>>56956559

So in other words C++ is a huge cluster fuck of garbage that tries to do everything but nothing well. (but maybe one day will be okay)
>>
>>56956682
It's okay if you didn't understand my post, just make yourself a nice Hot Pocket in the microwave and return to your video games.
>>
Learn Ada instead.
>>
>>56956763
This. Only criticism you can make about it if that is not popular.
>>
>>56956682
If you think this then seriously sir, kill yourself immediately.
>>
IMO it's really difficult to learn/be used to C++. You're gonna hate yourself managing literally everything but the end product of some good code will be excellent, whereas in other languages, quick and easy will give you just what you make of it.
>>
File: rapp.png (761KB, 1205x1643px) Image search: [Google]
rapp.png
761KB, 1205x1643px
C++ isn't a language for people who aren't (going to be) serious programmers. It's a language you can do anything in, and it doesn't hold your hand or idiotproof it for you. tldr incredibly powerful but almost as difficult

>also people who think learning how to use pointers and manage memory is outdated are basically pic related
>>
>>56956559
>its only real deficiency if anything

look up std::vector<bool> and use of unsigned size_t
>>
>>56953604
printf is pretty much a superior interface compared to std::cout
>>
>>56955659
>tfw you've been writing Java for a decade and you just want to do anything else with your life but the alternative is being a poorfag
>>
>>56955659
>tfw all those devices require c to run java
>>
>>56954989
where are you working?
>>
File: justBEYourself.jpg (104KB, 1243x1059px) Image search: [Google]
justBEYourself.jpg
104KB, 1243x1059px
>>56955240
b-but all job offers admit that C++ is a good choice
>>
>>56956204
My problem is that I know few languages but on basic level.

I can make simple android app, c# app/basic MVC, I can write comfy python scripts, basic of js/node/php, basic C and x86 asm on pretty good level.

but my problem is that I do not know any language + framework good enough to get job.

Most of the companies in my city look for programmer with experience, 0 babysitting programmer options.

I saw C++ job offer yesterday. They offer 30% more than any other junior programmer job.
>>
>>56958269
>but my problem is that I do not know any language + framework good enough to get job.
Same problem. There is at least one place where I live that offers unpaid internships where you can basically slave for 3 months just to show off if you are capable, but I can't afford something like that.
>>
>>56955432
Youre blaming the programmer not the language
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.