[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any touch typers on /g/? i've started learning and my keyboard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: using-computer-keyboard-19-638.jpg (79KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
using-computer-keyboard-19-638.jpg
79KB, 638x479px
any touch typers on /g/? i've started learning and my keyboard is drenched in sweat. is this normal or should i go back to typing with 2 fingers?
>>
>>56952788
Are you autistic?
>>
I can touch type, but the increase in speed is only like 10wpm when I'm trying my best and I think 110wpm when typing with 2-3 fingers on each hand is good enough. Typing properly just feels weird, I dont know why. I also never need to look at my keyboard (which I credit to playing video games, I can type efficiently without looking at my keyboard with 1 hand, left or right)
>>
>>56952827
why? yeah, aspergers and adhd
>>
>>56952829
also, no, your keyboard should not be drenched in sweat, that is not normal
>>
File: 1468464384388.jpg (389KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1468464384388.jpg
389KB, 1284x980px
>>56952788
>So fat that using more then 2 fingers is exercise
>>
>>56952788
Don't give up anon. I didn't learn how to touch type until I was 19 going on 20. Everyone used to make fun of me in my programming classes so I torrented a copy of mavis beacon and forced myself to touch type. It was really slow at first but now I can go at least three times faster as normal. And when i trip on acid it feel weird that i don't even need to think my hands to just do what i want them to do.
>>
The fuck is this dweeb "touch-typing" thing? I just tap the letters on my laptop screen lmaoo
>>
File: gary spivey.jpg (79KB, 500x678px) Image search: [Google]
gary spivey.jpg
79KB, 500x678px
I only learned there were a bunch of invalids who had to actually look at the keys to type about two years ago.
When I was younger, I saw someone else type without looking at their keyboard. So I did the same.

Learning that most people look at their keyboards as they type made me realize why everyone misspells every third word and has no sense of proper grammar; it's a lot of effort for an invalid such as OP to go through to go back and check to make sure they've typed correctly. If you type properly, correcting errors is instantaneous and automatic, but if your mind is inferior you have to carefully peck the letters, staring at your keyboard. Then you look up upon the screen and realize you care so little about your presentation that you don't even capitalize your "I."
Just give up, OP.
>>
>>56952829
>I can type efficiently without looking at my keyboard with 1 hand, left or right)
>>56952928
do you look for the bump on the keys f and j? i feel like i depend on them a lot, like if they didn't exist then touch typing would become even harder for me
>>
>>56953277 forgot to say in this post. also, checking muh dubs:
I use every finger but my right thumb, which sits below the spacebar.

I don't have a rigid place where my fingers always rest. In the resting place, left fingers usually sit like this: pinky on lshift, ring on A, middle on E, index on F, thumb on spacebar. Right fingers are: thumb is useless, index on N/M/J, middle on I/O, ring on P/{, pinky on right shift.
I didn't get taught how to do it, so they sit in the most comfortable position possible, rather than some "best" position a book says to use.
>>
>>56953284
Yes I feel like I need them lol. Someone filed them off once and I couldn't fucking type for hit. I remember in the computer repair shop I used to work out in college some of the other guys would fuck with the keyboards so the letters were all rearranged except for the f and j. Pretty much half the reason why I learned to touch type because I used to have to look at the keyboard in order to see what the hell I was doing.

There was a study that came out saying that non traditional typist can type just as fast as touch typist and while I think that is true in terms of raw out put being able not to look at the keyboard is really good for work flow I found and i work a lot fast than i used to because i don't need to look down and instead can see any fuck ups on what I am doing on the fly from the text that comes on the screen.
>>
>>56953369
I also use right shit. I have to cut the right side of my pinky finger nail because of the way it curls to rest upon the shift key.
>>
>>56953371
thanks for being helpful, anon
>>56953401
you only use one shift key? the site that i'm using to learn says that for the keys that are meant to be pressed with your right hand, use the left shift and for the left hand keys, use the right shift.
>>
>>56953487
No problem dude.

Also you are going to have a touge time learning from youtube videos are the web.

Like I said earlier, try mavis bacon.

http://www.mavisbeaconfree.com/

I don't know if that is a scam site or not but you can most likely find a legit copy of it on a torrent site. I learned how to type using that and it went pretty well. The one thing I will say is that you can not go back to typing in the old way! Like i had to stick to typing by touch no matter if hunting and pecking was faster. It was hard at first and went very slow but now a days I can type far faster than what I used to be able to type. Just make sure once you start you don't go back to looking at the keyboard because you will never learn that way and will revert to your old habits. Don't look down is the best way you can do this. Just don't look at the fucking keyboard when you take and force yourself to start at the home row and stretch your fingers to the keys you want to type. Eventually you will have the muscle memory to do it without looking and you will go fast!.
>>
>>56953487
Typing is a very fluid and personal thing.
These learning materials are attempting to simplify. They resolve things that are subjective according to the author's biased opinion.

I suggest ignoring any learning supplements and doing it yourself. This isn't that complicated. Just type without looking at your keyboard, and in time you'll get better.

You're clearly a product of the modern Prussian-derived mass schooling system, where efficiency and speed matter far more than how effective the teaching is. Here's a vital life-long tip: you can learn practically anything on your own, with some things requiring only minor suggestions and supplements. It only requires a great deal of creativity and a bit of willpower.
>>
>>56952788
The more you do it, the more natural it gets.
>>
File: qvybpr4rvc3gprv2fnn2.gif (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
qvybpr4rvc3gprv2fnn2.gif
3MB, 800x450px
>>56953619
That is true for somethings but really if you have to type like this gif from just naturally learning then you are gonna have a bad time.
>>
>>56952788
>drenched in sweat
Nothing to see here
>>
>>56953694
Uh.
No.
I don't think you know what you're talking about, and I don't think you even know what you're trying to say.
Are you saying everyone who learns without being taught types like that? No.
You guys treat "touch typing" like some kind of holy grail of skill.

There are slight inefficiencies when it comes to not having your fingers rest on the middle row. It's irrelevant. If that's what you're afraid of, then I suggest not worrying about it.
>>
>>56953619
so i should type in a way that's faster and more accurate and not follow the rules like "use all 10 fingers" and " right hand on jkl; and left on asdf"? i feel like using my pinky always slows me down and i press the wrong keys with them often
>>
>>56952788
I don't use my pinky unless I am pressing shift. Also, my index fingers rest on D and K because of that. It's not like I only use one finger on one row or anything, I just type I guess. I can do 80-85 wpm.
>>
>>56953986
What's most important is to type without looking at the keyboard. You can always learn to put your hands where you want them to be later. You can always switch formats later, like to Colmak or Dvorak, in the same vein.

I assume they only tell you where to rest your fingers because you probably only ever hunted and pecked for the keys, and they assume your hands don't rest in an appropriate position to make typing without looking as efficient as possible. Oh, sure, it's more efficient. But what you're really there for is to type without looking at the keyboard. Just like how using "but" to start a sentence is improper form in English, it's still a form to be used. All to say that it doesn't matter that much. I have 100 wpm when I know exactly what I want to say and am impassioned with it.

I still remember how I learned to type: I looked at the box where I was typing without looking at my keyboard, and slowly wrote, using trial and error until I learned how to type without thinking.

>>56953694
I don't like the form in this gif. Their hands move way more than mine do. My hands sit upon the rest of my keyboard. Only my left hand does some minor stretching. For instance, my left index finger gets the Y key rather than the right hand. I might consider myself a lefthanded typer.

Oh, and a reminder: WPM doesn't matter. When you're writing creatively in any way--including nonfiction--which is also the most common kind of writing--you're not going to be typing at your fastest. You have lots of pauses, waits, and rewrites. Typing out what you know you want to say is the fastest part, and how fast you do that is irrelevant to the speed of writing itself. The thing that takes time in writing is the thinking part.
>>
I keep being told 0 on the numpad is meant to be pressed with the thumb.

What the flying fucknuzzle

btw not really it ain't that normal. Still, I'm learning and honestly it's hard but I see the point of it. I can't get used to things like punctuation and caps and some special symbols. It don't help keybr is pretty limited
>>
>>56955948
Also, I've been touchtyping with very few fingers for like 15 years now. I can type fairly fast without issues because my method still uses more than 2 fingers, just not the pinkies, but right now I'm taking a course where teacher get mad about me not knowing how to touchtype so I'm forcing myself through this.

Since I still type fairly slow and have a lot of mistakes the proper way I usually fall back to my old method. I find that it's much easier for me to make mistakes the proper way. Right pinky is death. And in my language it is used fairly often.
>>
>>56952788
>drenched in sweat
What the fuck
No, see a medical professional
>>
I am so fucking thankful that my elementary school started teaching touch typing when we were in 2nd grade. Other than that though my elementary school was utter shit, Maine is honestly one of the worst states in the US outside of Texas maybe.
>>
>>56952829
You don't type 110wpm with 6 fingers. Why do kids think e-stats make them cool?
>>
>>56953277
You're right, but I feel like I need to disagree with you because you were suck a soggy cock about it.
>>
File: XmCdENj.png (162KB, 1684x1191px) Image search: [Google]
XmCdENj.png
162KB, 1684x1191px
op here, can someone answer this >>56953986
i googled and found out that most people on plebbit's mechanical keyboard general don't follow the perfect finger positions like in the image i posted in the op but most of them have an average speed of 100wpm. so will learning to use all my fingers be better in the long run? i want to be as fast and as accurate as i can.
>>
File: file.png (32KB, 300x424px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
32KB, 300x424px
This is now a typing speed thread.
>>
>>56952788
They taught me how to touch type in elementary school but I was slow as balls (50 WPM) until I started playing WOW and had to learn to type faster if I wanted to shitpost in guild chat while still being top DPS. God help me when it comes to typing on a phone though I just can't do touch screens to save my life.
>>
I can touch type, but my accuracy/speed when trying to reach for some lesser used-keys like \, caps, [, ], # etc. goes out the window.

My ability has probably deteriorated over the years as I haven't used those keys. I typically have to stop to use some keys or otherwise it's completely hit and miss whether I'll hit the right key for keys that require excessive reaching.

Now I'm learning programming I'm trying to improve my touch typing.
>>
I only use my index fingers for the characters, right thumb for space, and right pinky for Shift. My left pinky basically traces the edge of the keyboard in case I need caps or tab and the left thumb traces the bottom as i type, and using these 2 spots as a constant reference i am able to type without ever losing my place if I am familiar with the keyboard.

I transitioned into this from normal peck & seek literally-looking-at-the-keyboard during my early childhood when i got my first computer which was a Compaq something or another. By the time I reached a grade in elementary school where they were trying to teach home keys, there was just no way I could change the habit. Last time I did a wpm test it was 120, but that was high school and im 22 now. In any case, since my speed and accuracy are good I don't see a reason to change my habits except the notion that maybe I'll cripple my hand faster this way which I'm not sure I believe.
>>
>>56956636
is this a joke
>>
>>56956664
Nope.
>>
File: file.png (15KB, 305x352px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
15KB, 305x352px
>>56956370
>>
>>56956356
bump
>>
>>56956636

literal autism
>>
>>56952827
>Are you autistic?
Says the guy with a 4chan pass.
>>
>>56957839
How do you know that he's using a pass?
>>
File: 121.png (11KB, 290x420px) Image search: [Google]
121.png
11KB, 290x420px
>>56956370
Personal best.
>>
>>56952788

You weren't taught touch typing in school?
>>
>>56957932
yeah but then i did drugs and had sex and now i have to learn it again
>>
>>56956356
I use my right ring finger for most of the pinky stuff. I just learned to adapt where my fingers are to what i need to press.
>>
>>56957653
the only thing i expect people to take away from this is that there's no need to type a specific way, if you use a keyboard long/often enough you'll develop a way that works just as well.
>>
>>56952788
When i was in elementary school, the dos based WPM program only cared if it was correct, then it calculated how many keystrokes happened over the time frame and then averaged it. So we would just type a bunch of gibberish and erase it and type it correctly artificially inflating our WPM it was funny.
>>
>>56957971
that type of thinking doesn't lend itself to highly motivated and successful people but hey happy is happy
>>
>>56957866
the clover
>>
>>56952848
and also an overdiagnosed special snowflake american

you can tell by the way they are self entitled and proud of being handicapped
>>
>>56957990
In general no but it's just how you tap keys on a keyboard, there isn't a need to do so optimally for presentation any more than you need to hold a fork a certain way to eat your food efficiently you'll just at worst look like a dingleberry.
>>
I taught myself to quasi-touch type on QWERTY. I wasn't slow, but I wasn't fast either, and unless I looked at my hands I'd go slower and/or make more typos. So in high school I decided to learn Dvorak. I went through the exercises, and since I did it on a QWERTY keyboard, I had no choice but to learn proper and correct no look touch typing. I even use the opposite shift key to capitalize letters, and can touch type the number row.

You should consider some kind of sweat wicking gloves OP. Or maybe that operation where they destroy some of your sweat glands with a laser, if your hands are that hyperhydrosic.
>>
File: 1469266941667.png (196KB, 680x649px) Image search: [Google]
1469266941667.png
196KB, 680x649px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hiTbNzzLik

"2 fingers ought to be enough for anyone" -a complete autist
>>
Yes. In fact, I recently taught myself colemak. I'm not back up to my qwerty speed, but my hands don't hurt anymore.
>>
>>56952788
>any touch typers on /g/?
this is like probably the only time I will ever say one of these
but if you can't touch type you legitimately don't belong on /g/.
Even 12 year old me like a year after I got my first computer was able to touch type.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.