[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people so cool with package managers? >You don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: rage_nerd.jpg (160KB, 676x1000px) Image search: [Google]
rage_nerd.jpg
160KB, 676x1000px
Why are people so cool with package managers?

>You don't know what flags the software is being compiled with
>Greater potential for something potentially malicious to slip by as a "dependency"
>Let's face it, it's faggity. Why run Linux if you're afraid of compiling?
>>
>>56949447
>slip by
If you're implying that packages aren't thoroughly reviewed before being included into mainline repositories, you're fucking retarded.

If you also think that source code is any less prone to "slipping by", you're fucking double retarded.
>>
>>56949447
> Why run Linux if you're afraid of compiling?
It may take hours.
>>
I only.compile my own programs. I don't want to compile Firefox for a 2 ms improvement.
>>
>>56949482
So what? What are you running so late for? Gotta play football? Gotta fuck your girlfriend? You have nothing better to do than admin your sys.

>>56949468
>If you're implying that packages aren't thoroughly reviewed
That's exactly what I'm implying. A bit tangential, but have you seen the shit gnome and KDE call "design?" People are doing these things for free because they're not very good.
>>
>>56949498
This is a m00t point; if you're using Firefox, you're wasting a whole lot more than 2ms
>>
>>56949501
A bad fashion sense doesn't mean that the source code isn't thoroughly reviewed and packages are well-tested before being included. This is only a problem for miniscule distros that nobody use anyway.

Also, you still fail to argue why compiling from source would be inherently safer.
>>
>>56949501
>What are you running so late for? Gotta play football? Gotta fuck your girlfriend? You have nothing better to do than admin your sys.
I have actual work to do.
>>
>>56949447
>implying portage is not a package manager
>>
>>56949447
I do in certain occasions. I do need to nor will I compile every piece of software on my machine. You could make the same argument that people are putting something malicious in the code unless you read everything. In this case, you can at least see what dependencies will be grabbed before going through with the installation.
>>
>>56949447
>modern nerd
>I played NES once xD
>>
>>56949447
I like having both, as I understand it a package manager can cross check dependencies issues better then me. That said the current package managers do far more then I want, as cross check compatibility is the only thing I need them for.

A simple download link list can let me pull the programs I want from sources I trust and should be keep septate for security reasons, make it a two part system. Slap a nice little GUI with some text info on it and call it done.

As for compiling I honestly know little about it as in text it just says to compile, like I intrinsically know those steps or even what it means. Although I do have some idea abut it. Time wise I will wait for a properly configured install as I don't need every hardware support under the sun, unless it is my rescue master copy.

I wish I knew more given how some changes made my wifi stop working and all my flash stop running, but as I understand it the flash issue is just support getting dropped as it wasn't good to have even if I can't access ZOMBO anymore (once it is done loading it is going to be amazing!) It gotten to the point I am thinking of going back to Ubuntu as that just works, but I don't really want to support their polices on freedom.
>>
>>You don't know what flags the software is being compiled with

I don't have to, the maintainers have most likely chosen sane defaults otherwise something would be off and people would complain.

>>Let's face it, it's faggity. Why run Linux if you're afraid of compiling?

I'm not afraid of compiling and I'm willing to do so if it's necessary, but why waste my time, CPU time and electricity when there's no such need?
>>
>>56949482
It only does the first time because you have to compile the entire system. After that it's only certain packages that takes time to compile (e.g. X, kernel, web browser) but they can be compiled at night or any other time when you're not using your computer.
>>
>>56949447
>not having both
Non-gentoo fags get out!
>>
>>56949637
This. Additionally, for the browser and kernel, for instance, you can just use a binary package (although for the kernel, you probably want to hand-compile so you can get grsec in there - you'd do the same thing even on a fully binary distro anyway). In other words, install (gen|fun)too!
>>
>>56949447
>>You don't know what flags the software is being compiled with

generic, i686 and alike. For ff about:buildconfig can show more.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.