[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Linux desktops like gnome and unity touch screen optimised?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: 1475709334242.gif (2MB, 302x230px) Image search: [Google]
1475709334242.gif
2MB, 302x230px
Why are Linux desktops like gnome and unity touch screen optimised?

Touch screens haven't taken off and those netbooks with touch screens usually have really hackery buggy Linux support. Why don't they resign their UI to be more PC optimised?
>>
pcs can have touch screens.

and it has usefull applications with a decent swivel mount.
>>
Because memes
>>
>>56948721
this is why you don't use gnome 3 or unishit. use KDE or cinnamon.
>>
Because some project leaders love to follow fads instead of making something usable
>>
jesus christ the idiocy here...ouch screens are great and usefull additions to a desktop.

starting with the obvious.
Graphic design, art, diagrams and plans, access to touch oriented mobile software, education of children (many many uses for parents-try getting laid and you'll understand) and other shit im not gonna bother to list because it would take forever. just use you brain and think for a moment

Look you gained access to an entire new input method that has practical use and YOURE BITCHING ABOUT IT? jesus christ dude...

get a touch capable monitor and a decent arm mount. You'll be grateful i promise.
>>
>>56948721
Better question, why would anybody use Gnome when KDE exists?
>>
>>56948847
OP is bitching about touch screens or asking about desktop environments?

>>56948868
Both suck, use budgie, e17, or mate instead
>>
>>56948930
dunno...but op is definitely bitching.
>>
>>56948721
why are only gnome and unity do scaling properly?
>>
>>56948721
catering to the lowest common denominator
god gnome is so fucking bad now
>>
>unity
i havent tried unity 8 or whatever the new one is, but i really like unity 7.4 on my multi monitor desktop
>>
>>56948930
>Mate

I don't know if you're aware of this but it's 2016 and I prefer my PC to not look like it's still running Windows 2000
>>
>>56948974
>what is xfce
>>
>>56949033
Good thing mate doesn't look like windows 2000 and is also highly customizable then :^)
>>
>>56949069
Good idea, I'll use a DE that requires ricing to not look like shit instead of just continuing to use Plasma that doesn't require any ricing :^)
>>
>>56949087
Who said anything about NEEDING to rice?
God damnit your reading comprehension must be dying in a ditch.
>>
>>56949053
>what is xfce
a de that has broken scaling
>>
>>56949122
>I don't want to use a DE that looks like shit
>But Mate is highly customizable
>So why would I use something I need to rice to look good instead of continuing to use what I'm using that looks good without ricing?
>N-n-nobody said anything about ricing!!!

Are you allowed to post on 4chan without your handler?
>>
>>56949140
you know windows has great scaling, that might be more you're speed :^)
>>
>>56949156
windows looks ugly and cant customize it
thats why i use gnome
>>
>>56949165
>thats why i use gnome
this reply exists solely to inform you that, although i will acknowledge its existence, i am not falling for your bait
thank you for your time
>>
>>56949155
Being customizable != needing customization.

How dare a retard like you call anyone else retarded.
>>
>>56949156
windows has atrocious scaling, some windows are just scaled up as bitmaps
>>
>>56948721
Even Poosoft regretted it. It should be an option not the default.
>>
>>56949212
It needs customization to not look like shit you mongoloid
>>
>>56949251
So does KDE and every DE because liking how a DE looks is subjective you fucking idiot.
>>
>>56949276
KDE doesn't for my use which is what we're discussing. And you accuse me of not being able to read?
>>
>>56949288
And mate doesn't for my use.
What's your point?

>why would anyone use anything except for what I like
>>56948868

Now you know.
>>
>>56949303
>What's your point?
>I don't know if you're aware of this but it's 2016 and I prefer my PC to not look like it's still running Windows 2000

Still the same as it was when you first replied to me. You should get in contact with your local elementary school and ask if you can sit in on their reading comprehension classes.
>>
>>56949329
Says the guy who can't into reading comprehension for shit
>>
>>56948748
literally this

foss nerds jumping on every new trend in the desperate hope they can colonise new tech territory and claim it before big money comes in, which ofc always fails.

then you have he clusterfuck of ugly shells and docks and noone's man enough to admit failure so it just stays until someone forks it, fixes it and the old distro slowly loses their userbase
>>
>>56948721
Gnome3 user here. What's touch-screen optimized about it? The launcher? I press the super key on my keyboard, type in the first letters of the program I want to use and hit enter.
That's way more comfortable and faster than the classic windows-style start menu.

What does that have to do with touch-screens? Because it visually resembles your phone?
>>
>>56948721

>touchscreen

i personally don't like touchscreen. it's cool for a tablet but on my desktop hell no.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.